1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Realismbound v1.36 [fixed]

A uniquely extreme take on increasing Starbound's difficulty.

1. soldierfast90

soldierfast90 Pangalactic Porcupine

soldierfast90 submitted a new mod:

Realismbound - A uniquely extreme take on increasing Starbound's difficulty.

Read more about this mod...

2. lordlimp

lordlimp Scruffy Nerf-Herder

does this affect modded races like bunnykin? i sure hope it does :D

3. soldierfast90

It affects every race regardless if it's modded or not. It just requires a new character to take effect.

4. notanaccount2

notanaccount2 Big Damn Hero

5. soldierfast90

Yes, hence why there's a segment in the description and in the incompatibilities on whether to get difficulty+ and its brother addons or this mod.

6. greenRAM

greenRAM Giant Laser Beams

I played through a bit and so far I really liked most of it, but found a few parts to be not to my personal liking.

One thing I loved was the changed to how vulnerable and deadly your player is. It really feels like I'm on the edge of my seat in combat. The changed to the jump and the fall damage also was kind of neat. I liked figuring out alternative ways over, under or through the terrain. Ropes finally had their day. The changes to the main quests were pretty rad as well.

One thing I hated was the tiny inventory. I don't mind resource management, like with a hunger or old temperature system, but I really find inventory management to be quite tedious. I justify the large inventory in the vanilla game by just saying that it's part of the matter manipulator technology and let that one pass. Even having limited everything but crafting materials would solve most of this tedium while still keeping the main feel of managing a very limited inventory.

Also, Replacing the entire starter pool rather than adding individual items was a bit annoying as I like to play with FU. With the small inventory space I get why you did it though.

That's it so far. I'll definitely keep playing with this one as I really love the extra challenge regardless of the few personal criticisms I have with it. Thanks a lot for making this!

edit: I don't think I like how the combat flows after lengthening the engerypool and decreasing the energy refresh rate. I think I like the vanilla game's faster combat flow. I really liked the changed to the gardenworld and how it's now peaceful. The periodic threat from the addition of the FU mod is kind of a fun startling experience as well.

edit: edit: Looks like the limited reach makes it so you cant interact with anything under your character. You also can't use the pickaxe very well anymore. I'm wondering after playing a bit if you needed to edit the vanilla missions at all. They could stay untouched and just add something like a grappling-hook early on, making them still playable, but just much more difficult.

I was also thinking that something like this could be much more focused on compatablity, perhaps making the components more modular where the .patches more add-in and less replace. It would probably need to be more of a lite version of this though.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  7. johnbas16

johnbas16 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Increase the interaction range and jump height, with the current jump height, i can't climb using ropes when i want to get on an edge.

Edit: Just fix the jump height, i mean, human/iods can't be that heavy you know? make it 4 blocks at least

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  8. soldierfast90

Realistic jump height or pseudo-climbing of 4 blocks? I've had this type of complaint over and over and over and over on Steam and it seems I can't escape the troubles of the past.

I once opted for 4 blocks, but this allowed jumping of 4 blocks anywhere, not just on walls. And, yes I do know trying to climb over edges with ropes is pretty much impossible but I'm going to have to opt to stick with what this mod is for now.

I might go ahead and release a separate more "arcade" version with those looking for a more casual experience. Maybe I might even add 2 types of "modular" mod types with the different variations of player stat changes and inventory limits as 2 separate mods for people with different likings. A mix and match per se.

9. PinkieCube

PinkieCube Big Damn Hero

Inventory place is a real big luxury of the starbound game.
    In real great RPG where you have not so much places for so much waste than in starbound.
    I throw much of things away because I can't sell or use it - so it is waste.
    One inventory bag has 6x5 place or 9x3 in a good RPG.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  10. greenRAM

I like the jump height for most play, but it is a problem getting over edges with the rope, or moving around in some instances. I was thinking that instead of increasing the jump height an alternative means of increasing movement might be interesting, like with new techs, weapons or items. Tiered one handed grappling hooks that are all fast enough to propel you over an edge might be an interesting idea. High energy cost jumps might be another idea. With enough alternative forms of mobility that are balanced for the the difficulty of this mod you could even get rid of your gravity alterations to missions.

edit: The idea of weapons would be having weapons that have low damage, but high knock-back for the player, allowing them to use the weapon to increase their jump when they need to rocket-jump up to things.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  11. Anno Nimbus

Anno Nimbus Big Damn Hero

An issue I've found: the reduced interaction ranges renders vertical hatches nothing more than fancy flooring. Kind of interferes with building multi-storey bases and larger ship upgrades.

12. soldierfast90

I'll get around to increasing the interaction to just barely enough to reach the floor (thanks Chucklefish for not changing the interaction centrepoint when crouching). I should have some time to update it within a couple of hours.

greenRAM likes this.
  13. soldierfast90

14. ComradePierre

ComradePierre Void-Bound Voyager

Mod is crazy hard, combined with other mods that adds high level enemies, and exposure. >tfw have to struggle just jumping on platforms to go upstairs.

15. soldierfast90

Anno Nimbus likes this.
  16. Anno Nimbus

Anno Nimbus Big Damn Hero

Many thanks, issue appears to be fixed. Three cheers for roof access, I'm getting plenty of mileage out of it already.

What I've discovered so far:
    • Love the rice, cherish the rice. Stackable foodstuffs that only need a campfire to cook, yes please. (Mushrooms work too! Rejoice if you find their biome!)
    • Wooden platforms OP. Build skybridges across terrain to connect tall enough towers, but watch out for Angry Birds. (Invest in doors/roofs!)
    • Spring for a Large Wooden Crate as soon as possible, all you need is some timber and 1 Copper Bar. Good enough space-wise for early game, just one box will carry you quite far. (24 slots)
    • Screw petals. Seriously, dump the bloody things.
    • The trash slot actually functions as an extra pocket now. Don't be shy and toss your gun in there, you'll still be able to access it from the hotbar!
    EDIT: Seems hatches are interactable only from below, standing on top of them does nothing. Functionable enough as a roof escape of sorts, I suppose.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  17. greenRAM

I Created a new mod to addess the manuverability issues I had: https://community.playstarbound.com/resources/ninja-tools-ram.5074/

I removed the gravity edits for the missions and they're difficult with the new ninja rope, but decently playable. There were a few really anoying bugs caused by the gravity edits that I was happy to get rid of.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  18. soldierfast90

I checked out your new mod and it seems pretty neat with helping in mobility and I guess minor poisoning effects.

As for the gravity edits, I'm sure everyone understands that it was edited for the vanilla grappling hook in mind. Sure, half the time it doesn't really help (1.8 > 3 on Floran) but eh, not much I really want to do with this mod. This mod only exists because I was bored and had a great (dumb. I had alot of complaints regarding it being "too hard = bad mod" on steam) thought of making this.

If you mind, what sort of bugs occurred with the gravity edits?

19. greenRAM

Lol. Yeah, the steam community is pretty toxic. I've removed some mods from there because the comment section got too toxic.

The bugs I ran into were mostly with the npcs. They'd sometimes refuse to move. In the first mining operation mission an npc blocked a switch I had to push. I burned him to death to get through. :rofl:

Later, the passageway down to the boss also glitches out.

It was pretty fun playing it without the gravity edit, though the boss was pretty darn hard, even with the new ropes. I died at least three times before getting through. Maybe for me hard equals fun though. :rofl:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  20. soldierfast90

I think the npc ai sorta freaks out since the entire Lunar mission's gravity is somewhere around the value of 5 (80 is the normal gravity value). Other than the low gravity making ai mobility weird the whole "npc won't move" issue is just the vanilla game itself. NPCs just love to stand in front of buttons and generally block player's interaction because G O O D A I. Probably the extremely low gravity combined with the general annoyingness of the NPC AI made it even harder for them to move away from something crucial.

Oh, and you'll love the Hylotl mission. I... "Redecorated" it.