1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Reed Farming 1.2

Grow your own reeds!

1. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Markelius submitted a new mod:

Reed Farming - Grow your own reeds!

Read more about this mod...

2. LoPhatKao

LoPhatKao Space Kumquat

doh :(
    theres an error in the frames file (skips default.0.1, 1.1, 2.1 & 3.1)
    even after fixing they just wont grow for me though :(
    waited long past the stage durations

wanted to make sure they worked with Gardenbot, but even manually planted ones didnt grow

3. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Thanks for the feedback, Chucklefish changed a few things since Spirited Giraffe regarding farming. I changed the frames file based on your suggestion and added a "objectType" : "farmable" property to the reeds. That should hopefully fix the problem.

4. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

5. LoPhatKao

LoPhatKao Space Kumquat

heh i didn't look for objectType, adding that to old one made it grow :D

now it works fine with Gardenbot ;)

6. emeraldgreen72

emeraldgreen72 Phantasmal Quasar

what would be the point of growing reeds?

7. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Crafting Reed Blocks and Reed Furniture.

8. emeraldgreen72

emeraldgreen72 Phantasmal Quasar

and to make nice environments

9. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Crusism likes this.
  10. Crusism

Crusism Big Damn Hero

I hope to ask several questions if you don't mind; may be beneficial for others to know as well!
    1. How many blocks does farming a single Reed require (i.e. does a reed take one-block space or two-block space)?
    2. Is Reed a perennial crop (i.e. will it revert to the first growth stage once I harvest it - avoiding having to re-plant them)?
    3. Can Reed only be grown on tilled soil?
    4. Can Reed be grown in and out of water (or can be submersed by a little water or needs to be submersed within a little water)?
    5. Is a farmed Reed destructible (i.e. is it destroyed on the impact of a weapon)?

I'm asking as I'm hoping to use Reeds as decorations. X'D

11. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Pretty sure the reeds take up about two blocks, in the past I tried making them only take up one, but they looked bad when placed next to each other this way.

The reeds are perennial, yes.

They can only be grown on tilled soil, however, if you're looking for reeds just to use as decorations, look no further than the vanilla reeds, which AFAIK don't have this restriction, and can be spawned via the command "spawnitem reedseed1" though "reedseed5".

Haven't tested with water actually, not sure if they would break, but I don't think they would. They don't require water though.

The plantable reeds aren't destructible with weapons.

Crusism likes this.
  12. Crusism

Crusism Big Damn Hero

Hi Markelius,
    Thank you for the response. =D

Ah, I can see that.

Awesome! Now, I can keep watering for more reeds! X'D

Thanks for the spawning command; it has allowed me to test and fool around! Though, I do find them strange for being categorised under the 'Objects' category of the Inventory; the same goes for the plantable reeds as well.

Just tested your plantable reeds; they break on even a little flooding/water - even at the last stage of growth.

Thank Goodness. X'D

In that, after your response and since I had the time, I immediately did some testing and fooled around with both your plantable reeds and the vanilla reeds (or 'just' reeds as I called them since I momentarily forgot the word 'vanilla' during editing).

And then I made a picture for comparisons! =D

reed.png

Though,
    Not sure whether this needs to be reported since it's not important: when I used 'Scanning Mode' ('N'), my character did not recognise the plantable reeds as reeds (i.e. didn't say a special dialogue to say that "these are reeds"); I'm not sure if this is because the plantable reeds are a separate entity from vanilla reeds (since my custom race has special dialogue for vanilla reeds) and have no special dialogue for their own, or that my custom race needs to have special dialogue made specifically for these plantable reeds.

Either way, no biggie, but - most importantly - thankee for the reeds! X'D

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  13. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Huh, that's annoying. I'll look into fixing it.

Hmm, I'll test with vanilla races and see if the inspection mode works, but as you said, it's probably due to the fact you're using a custom race, and those need to have their own dialogue lines added.

Crusism likes this.
  14. Crusism

Crusism Big Damn Hero

Many thanks. Will look forward to it; I'd really like to use your plantable reeds as water decorations/plantations/farmables! =D

15. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

16. U.N.Owen

U.N.Owen Big Damn Hero

It's grow extremely fast.
    You realy need change "duration" : [25, 35] to [250, 350].

17. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Nah, they're meant to grow fast. You can pretty much only get reed furniture/blocks/plant fibre from the reed plants so I think it's nicely balanced the way it is.

18. U.N.Owen

U.N.Owen Big Damn Hero

With gardenbots I got about 1 stack/hour from each single plant.
    Do we really need so many?

19. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Why not? Just don't use your gardenbots then.

20. U.N.Owen

U.N.Owen Big Damn Hero

Well...
    I can make my own mod for this (and some other new plants).
    With complete different setup.

Actually I already started… It will include various types of required liquids/soils for different plants, etc. Your mod, of course, also included (and heavily reworked).
    ^_^