Modding Help Regarding the cow files

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Minakie, Jul 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

I have a question regarding cows and calf: If there's only 2 cow colors in the game (brown and white) why are there 3 cown files and 3 calf files in the \Animals folder?

- BabyBrown Cow.xnb
    - BabyCow.xnb
    - BabyWhite Cown.xnb
    - Brown Cow.xnb
    - Cow.xnb
    - White Cown.xnb

I noticed this when I was starting to replace my animals with modded ones and it got me puzzled.
    The only recolors out there are for the Brown Cow and White Cow files, so what exactly are those extra Cow files for?

Also... that moment when you want to test your new animals ingame to see if everything is working well and all you see is baby animals 'cause you don't have adult versions. How long does it take for animals to grow?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    • cankersaur

cankersaur Pangalactic Porcupine

I imagine the plain cow and babycow versions are, like, vestigial files, haha. Leftover from when the game was made.

• Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

So, is it safe to just delete those?

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

NOOOOOOOOOO
          I know that at least the adult version is used for one of the cow's in marnie's ranch...

You should NEVER delete any of the xnb files, even ones that we all think are unused...

• cankersaur

cankersaur Pangalactic Porcupine

Ooooh, good call. I didn't think of that.

Yeah, I wish we could delete old files, but unfortunately not. -shrug-

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Same, but unfortunately, there is no easy way to know if a file is a "old" file or one that is just only used in certain situations.
              I only happened to know about the cow file because I had been looking at that code at some point and noticed that one of the cows on marnie's farm used a different file then the player cows do.

• Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

It's also funny that there's no Fence4.xnb file.
                So maybe there's a way to use that to make a new fence for the game, maybe even with a double game... a girl can dream xD