Reminds me of the OLD Harvest Moon Games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DatYandereGirl, May 19, 2013.

1. DatYandereGirl

DatYandereGirl Big Damn Hero

It gave me that feeling at first. I also congratulate you on getting Greenlit on Steam.

I totally will buy the game just because it gives me that feel of the old Harvest Moon games.

• DakoShark

DakoShark Pangalactic Porcupine

Yes! It reminded me of the old Harvest Moon games as well.

I'm eagerly awaiting the day that we can buy or pre-order it. :rofl:

DatYandereGirl likes this.
      • Elvis

Elvis Astral Cartographer

I am an old fan of HM, I both own and even still play the original HM on my snes every now and then. After seeing the previews of this game on steam, I am certain I will enjoy this game, that is guaranteed....but being a loving fan of HM I do have very high expectations of the game. If this game beats my expectations (which I really REALLY hope it does) then I will buy 3 more copies to giveaway if possible......moo

Mopy and DatYandereGirl like this.
        • DatYandereGirl

I have high expectations for this game too. I too still play the original SNES and even the GBC HM games.

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

I don't like the old HM. This is like a blend between the two though

MrXIX likes this.
            • Elvis

Lame, the original was awesome.
              My fav is Friends of Mineral Town. 50+years ingame and counting. :p

DaviDeil and DatYandereGirl like this.
              • Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Dude, Friends of Mineral Town was the shiz.

• DatYandereGirl

It sure was. :D

I like HM64 and Friends of Mineral Town.

JazzPigeon and Evangelion like this.
                  • JoeCamo

JoeCamo Master Chief

I just found out about this game while looking over some updates on starbound, boy let me tell you this game looks amazing, I will definitely be purchasing this when I can.

This game, starbound, rogue legacy, this year is looking like its going to be hot for indie games. I like the way things are moving in the gaming industry.

Mopy likes this.
                    • Battlemage

Battlemage Void-Bound Voyager

Back to Nature was and still is my favorite. I own three copies of it, two physical and one digital. One of the physical ones is in a shadow box with Goldeneye, Ocarina of Time, Lightning Force, Command and Conquer Red Alert and Vice City - my all-time favorite games before the current generation of consoles.

A New Beginning is also good, as are the Rune Factory games.

pinkcatmint likes this.
                      • Lumina

Lumina Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Personally, Harvest Moon, Harvest Moon 2 (64) and Harvest Moon Back to Nature are the best of the franchise, back when it was just all about farming. Even A New Beginning you're bogged down with rebuilding the village and all that nonsense. Most newer Harvest Moon games they try to make you the farmer be far more important than boosting the local economy and providing the town with produce. It's pretty sad personally, they took that simple farmer feel out of the games.

After all these years I still find myself playing Harvest Moon 64, and BTN more than any other Harvest Moon game. They had a bit of shine to them, they were simple yet tedious, and the tedious work is what made the game difficult. You could buy whatever you needed, or farm it yourself.

Not like a New Beginning where you have to do absolutely everything yourself including building buildings and such, it doesn't make any sense really.

I'm a billionaire on A New Beginning for example and I'm only on year 3, and all that money is useless it doesn't do anything, you can't do much with it, you can't buy the materials for cloth making from the tailor to make tailoring easier, you can't buy the construction materials with all that money, money is useless. The game is idiot proof easy, and there isn't much to it, but a lot of waiting, and buying new recipes for building up the town, spending most of your time gathering resources rather than farming to build that town. It was entertaining at first but I find myself by year 3 not even wanting to play it anymore.

Stardew gives me hope, for a game that returns to simple farming again. Like what made me enjoy the first three Harvest Moon games I played so much. It was the farming, the mingling with the town folk that made them just great. That is all the Franchise needed, but they've really ruined the Franchise.

• Elvis

I agree with you, they started making the games FARMER!!!! to responsible for the rest of the town.....Just seems messed up.
                          Friends of Mineral Town is just the remade GBA version of Back to Nature. I prefer FoMT simply cus it had brighter colors and it was portable.
                          Honestly Stardew reminds me more of HM3 for the Gameboy color.....still gonna love it. :love:

• Lumina

I enjoy Boy & Girl more on the PSP, basically Back to Nature ported to the PSP. I really enjoyed the fish farming and green house which were completely absent from Friends of Mineral Town. Music is also far nicer, more in depth and higher quality than of course it's GBA counter part, being a PS1 game.

Sadly I still prefer Harvest Moon 64 over any of them, I actually found Harvesting Crops fun on Harvest Moon 64, being you had 8 inventory bag, and getting stuff out of it was difficult there were no fast button combo or basket on 64, so you actually had a reason to use your horse. Oddly from BTN and up there was absolutely no reason to even own a horse other than for the race. Basket was more useful on FoMT and BTN, the horse had a tendency to wonder off you on.

• Elvis

True back then a console game was superior in quality to their smaller portable counterparts, but still, it was fun.
                              Near the end of the game I pretty much stopped growing crops, all I grew was grass for the animals and fenced it all in. Then spent all my free time talking to and giving stoof to all the npc's.
                              My fav was Sabrina....just so cute and mousy. (^w^)

• Lumina

You can't say the console versions were superior back then. FoMT was quite large for a hand held game I mean content wise at least for it's time. It has features that Back to Nature didn't have, but didn't have features Back to Nature had. Over all though all the console versions of Harvest Moon seem to be better than their hand held counter parts. But Harvest Moon seems to fit best as a hand held, ironic personally.

I think the only one you can't say that about is Harvest Moon on the Gameboy, which was literally a direct port to the Gameboy, when Gameboy color game out it was nearly 100% identical to it's Super Nintendo Counter Part.

Lets just say, FoMT, Back to Nature is better, Boy & Girl is nearly 100% identical to Back to Nature to me making it the best Hand held Harvest Moon ever, it sounds the same, plays the same, everything is the same. Being unlike FoMT, Boy & Girl you get both versions of Back to Nature on one game for the PSP. I'm still hoping for a Nintendo 3DS port of Harvest Moon 64, though I think they said "No chance" as it would be too difficult to port it, though I find it strange that Nintendo can do it and do it well with complete remakes at that, yet those remakes keep the core of the game nearly 100% intact and wonderful.

Personally the Harvest Moon franchise needs to go back to it's roots, at best a game like "Return to Flowerbud" as it's title, in reference, of bring you back to those roots would make an excellent title for such a return. Basically go back to the village you played on Harvest Moon and Harvest Moon 64, which was called Flowerbud, it would be a great title for a complete remake of Harvest Moon the original.

• Elvis

But that shall sadly almost never happen. :/

• Macantsaoir

Macantsaoir Space Hobo

Back to Nature, 64, and SNES version, my favourites of the series! Playing ANB right now, its alright once you get through the hand holding and cheap progression

• Nate McCloud

Nate McCloud Existential Complex

This game looks to me to be some mix between original Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, and Terraria. Ultimate awesomeness.

• DatYandereGirl

If you haven't already, go check out Starbound on this site here.

• Lumina

Personally not interested in Starbound at all. Was barely interested in Terraria and only after I was absolutely bored enough to try it, in the end Terraria was utterly boring after the first day I played it. Starbound just makes me think of a more Scifi version, again, not very appealing.