Race Rencontrer les Gemétoile! [Updated 11/20]

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Ghostar, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

Very well, although with a protectionist attitude like that, I wonder why you even posted the Gemetoilé as a race suggestion in the 1st place, since you're pretty much putting the idea out for anyone to use as they please (possibly even outside of Starbound itself). Speaking of, I wonder how you'd feel if someone actually used the Gemetoilé as a basis for their own race suggestion (if they have or have not credited you in the process), such as being a mineral-based race with Renaissance or Victorian-era culture, but changed parts of it so that it would be distinct from the Gemetoilé themselves (such as being more aggressive and exploitative, though still affluent, with a history of colonialism and imperialism).:(

I submitted my own suggestions for races and mobs, knowing full well that I'd be relinquishing creative control over them in the process, and I'm fine with it, since I'd get more pleasure if my ideas were actually implemented into the game, even if modified to an extent, and I may even get some recognition for it in the process. If I was more of a protectionist, who's worried that my suggestions would be altered in some form or another as they're approved for addition to Starbound, then I'd just keep the idea to myself, not posting it out into the open.

2. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

Because at the moment it is the only section for it TO go into, same with my Darkbound topic. They are under suggestion because it is the only place for them until we get a modding section. Also there is no such thing as Originality in this world, anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

As for the whole "wanting your race to be added" I love the Sb devs, many of them are even people I consider fairly close friends of mine, but no one can express my ideas like I can no matter how hard they try. I understand people take value in having their Ideas put in something as OFFICIAL, so they can point at the screen and say "I made that" and say it with pride, it's a nice feeling I get that. But I value my own ideas more then anything, even seeing it in game. Simple as that.

Anyway this is getting more into my ideas/values more then the gems so lets leave it at that.

3. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

I understand, though since Starbound isn't even out yet, it's probably going to be a while before a modding section is added.
    Indeed, which is why I have issues regarding current copyright law, no matter how good-intentioned it may have been in the past (before the internet came into being).
    True. That's why intellectual works that remain in the hands of their creators tend to be at their peak of performance, right? Still, by exposing it for everyone to see, others may want to build upon it, regardless of your desires. Sometimes, this results in what may be considered to be akin to fanon, though at other times, this could result in something new altogether. Such new things may even rival the originals that inspired them, so some people take extra precaution to ensure that nobody steals their ideas (industrial espionage).
    Lets.;)

4. The Almighty 404

The Almighty 404 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Can I just ask if you have an idea about why we would play an outcast (as we can't go back to the homeworld) or why there are renegade Gemétoile that attack us on sight (on the planets that hold a Gemétoile dungeon) ?

5. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

Oh there is, TRUST ME there is. I'm just caught up in RO2 right now. Once I hit 50 Ill probably get back to updating this.

PS I'm 44 now.

dhxmg likes this.
  6. dhxmg

dhxmg Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Haha, go for it! I'll be awaiting standing on my toes...

7. Felonious

Felonious Existential Complex

There is a considerable difference between implementing the Novakids and Anodyne as related races and implementing the Gems and Pyrites as related races. The Novakid are literally inspired by the Anodyne, and are very similar in structure. The Gems and Pyrites on the other hand only have the whole rock thing going for them.

8. That's quite inaccurate. You don't relinquish creative control over anything just because you submit it as a suggestion. You have to allow that to happen. For example, I, the creator of the Anodynes, could have rejected Chucklefish's request to use the Anodynes in the game. That doesn't mean it's invalid as a suggestion; it just means I rejected their offer, possibly due to other reasons [i.e. I might not have agreed to their terms].

Furthermore, a suggestion does not require input from the community, or even modifications. It is ultimately the suggester's decision as to whether they would consider the criticism of the collective. It is, after all, their "original concept". So if they really refuse to accept any forms of criticism, be happy that you are at least allowed to. Just don't push it.

9. Dal

Dal Phantasmal Quasar

i'd be playing this race if it were implemented :)

10. Pandalf

Pandalf Twenty-three is number one

I actually prefer the gemétoiles to the Novakids. If they where Implemented, they would be one of my favorties with the florans.

11. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

I don't know where in Starbound this item set will be, but by god I want to use it for the Gemétoile!
    [​IMG]

dhxmg, Tojo and Roxie Stables like this.
  12. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

Roxie Stables likes this.
  13. Model QT-377665 and Ghostar like this.
  14. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

blind sniper likes this.
  15. The Thing

The Thing Existential Complex

Upvoted. On another note, it would seem the suggestion page does not support accents :p. I do hope they will think about that detail in the game tough, otherwise, it will be hard to have the Gemmétoiles plug random french words in their sentences.

16. dhxmg

Didn't you say you did not want in in game? Only modded in? If I'm wrong, please, correct me, I'd love to see it in game. But if you don't want it modded in, what's the point in getting upvotes on the suggestions page?

PabloM likes this.

17. iirc that was the darkbound, not sure about these guys though

18. dhxmg

"Because at the moment it is the only section for it TO go into, same with my Darkbound topic. They are under suggestion because it is the only place for them until we get a modding section. Also there is no such thing as Originality in this world, anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

As for the whole "wanting your race to be added" I love the Sb devs, many of them are even people I consider fairly close friends of mine, but no one can express my ideas like I can no matter how hard they try. I understand people take value in having their Ideas put in something as OFFICIAL, so they can point at the screen and say "I made that" and say it with pride, it's a nice feeling I get that. But I value my own ideas more then anything, even seeing it in game. Simple as that."

From further up the page, I think that seems to apply to these guys.

Ghostar likes this.
  19. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

No your right, but I still want the devs to see them. If nothing else to add the cloths and weapons.

Model QT-377665 and PabloM like this.
  20. dhxmg

Oh, okay, fair enough I guess.