WIP Restyled Sprites by AtroxAmbitus

Discussion in 'Mods' started by AtroxAmbitus, Aug 20, 2017.

1. AtroxAmbitus

AtroxAmbitus Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you everyone for the feedback! So, it seems as though most people prefer the old style, so, before I continue further, I'd like to show a sort of hybrid of both that I think takes some good aspects of both. Here's what I was thinking:
    A. [​IMG] B. [​IMG]
    Don't mind the shadow for the chimney, I just threw it on there really quick, and still need to adjust the angle.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
      Acerbicon, Karmylla and Xuomi like this.
    • Xuomi

Xuomi Phantasmal Quasar

@AtroxAmbitus OH, I like that one much more than the second one. I also like it more than the first just because the roof doesn't seem like it's made of thick blocks for the shape? I'm not sure how to describe the feeling. It seems to blend better to me, I guess is what I mean. I definitely like that one the most. Also, the green shade looks much nicer on the eyes to me as well.

Absolutely well done. I also just noticed you moved the chimney (didn't even realize it on the other image :rofl:) and I really like its new placement much more as well!

AtroxAmbitus likes this.
      • AtroxAmbitus

Thanks! I just added a second option as well to my previous post. Of the two new ones, which seems better?

• Xuomi

Xuomi Phantasmal Quasar

@AtroxAmbitus Hmm, I think I would go with option A. The slimmer tiles in option B look nice, but I think I like them still having a little bit of shape to make them flow with the Pokémon aesthetic, and it seems like a better medium between the original style you had and the remake than option B does.

• Zalkyria

Zalkyria Existential Complex

Definitely like those way better :O I'm having a hard time to choose, I would be happy with either :rofl:

AtroxAmbitus and nomisupernova like this.
            • Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

I'm honestly much more inclined towards B. I understand wanting to make the pokemon-style, A being the best for that, but B seems to blend better in game.
              (But I'm a little biased, I don't enjoy the recent pokemon aesthetic, I think the lines are too harsh, if that makes sense.)
              Either way, this all looks great, you're doing an excellent job, thank you for sharing! :)

AtroxAmbitus and Zalkyria like this.
              • AtroxAmbitus

Thank you for the feedback again, everyone! I think I agree with Karmylla as far as the lines being to harsh, so I decided to mess around with them a little bit. I know it doesn't fit perfectly with the pokemon esthetic perfectly, but I guess the issue I'm having with the roofs is they just don't seem smooth enough. I tried to fiddle with the roofs of some other houses as well to see what I thought, and have decided to share the progress. I think I may end up going with this style of roof honestly, so long as no one is vehemently opposed to them. I have also made some miscellaneous changes, such as adjusting saturation and luminosity levels. (Also, some are missing chimneys, atm, that will be resolved later.)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Zalkyria and Xuomi like this.
                • AtroxAmbitus

Updated the first post. Next I'll either be doing the museum or Pam's Trailer.

Also, anyone who would be interested in importing these into the game for me, please contact me, and of course I will credit whoever does so accordingly. EDIT: Nevermind.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
                  • Xuomi

Xuomi Phantasmal Quasar

Uh oh. Were you not drawing them on the original tilesheet for the game already? I just tried to implement the community center but it doesn't fit the tiles.

Edit: So far it looks like:
                    The Saloon fits fine.
                    The Mayor's House fits fine (I think).
                    Alex's House fits fine.
                    Joja Mart fits fine.

Sam's House overlaps on the trash can's tile.
                    Haley & Emily's House overlaps on two bench tiles and a potted plant.
                    Pierre's Shop & Harvey's Hospital is mixed. It can fit, but then the calendar and billboard would not line up properly with the in-game bubbles unless you edited the town map itself (I think). Trying to align them properly either messes up the art rework you've done or it overlaps onto other town tiles. The area for their buildings' Roof Tiles also don't fit.
                    The Town Tree fits but I think it overlaps onto unused tiles. The maps may have to be edited to fit the whole thing. (I'm not 100% sure about this one)
                    The Community Center does not fit. Overlaps on multiple tiles or lands in a lot of unused tiles and would require a map file edit.
                    The Blacksmith's Shop fits but it has the same issue as the town tree. I think it overlaps onto unused tilesheets and the town map will have to be edited to get the entire replacement in the game.

I haven't tested any of this in-game but I did place the buildings where they should go on a tilesheet. I'll upload the progress (note: this isn't meant to be used, it's just to display where things overlap) and an original tilesheet for you if you decide to rework the models.

Hopefully I am being really dense/have no idea what I'm doing and someone else can figure out a better way to get them to fit into the tilesheets and prove me wrong, though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
                      captain kaltz+ and AtroxAmbitus like this.
                    • AtroxAmbitus

Thanks for the work! Those were the problems I was running into mostly, as well. Most of them are just one or two pixels off, which will be easy for me to fix, but what I'm hoping is that there is someone who could actually edit the map for something like the community center. I'm not sure how difficult doing something like that is though, I'm just trying to avoid shrinking the community center down mostly, because I tried and it just didn't look quite right.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
                        Xuomi likes this.
                      • AtroxAmbitus

Update: I have added the museum. I am unsure if I care for the style of it, and am hoping to get some feedback on it. I'm not sure if it looks too "clean" to fit in the style of the town or not (see first post).

Also, I have resized some of the sprites so that they will actually fit on the tilesheet, opps. I am now actively adding the sprites to the tilesheet too.

Xuomi and Karmylla like this.
                        • Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

Uh, you did take a risk with the museum, it has a completely different feel to it, it looks like a "real" museum from a big city!
                          Though, I don't know if it fits the small village of Stardew Valley, which focuses more on wood and warm colours. Also, the inside of the map would not fit this building, it would clash negatively, in my opinion.
                          BUT I still think it looks cool! I would still use this re-texture because it looks so polished, it's really well done!
                          By the way, the archways have to be changed because Penny usually goes underneath them in the Fall, I think!

• Xuomi

Xuomi Phantasmal Quasar

Not sure how I feel about the Museum. It doesn't look like it fits the rest of the town vibe. But Karm is right, Penny stands between the pillars in the fall, so you could probably get rid of the center pillar and it would be fine.

Maybe you can look up old museum buildings to find inspiration?

• Voltaic123

Voltaic123 Pangalactic Porcupine

I like the design for the museum, but that color doesn't fit in in the town very well. Maybe you could change it to look more like something like this? Made of brick instead of marble. [​IMG]

Zalkyria likes this.
                              • AtroxAmbitus

Thank you everyone for all the feedback! I've decided to start the museum from scratch again. I initially tried to do something in the style that Voltaic posted, but sadly due to the size constraints of the tile I couldn't get it look quite right, so I had to scrap that idea. But, I decided to share what I have so far. It's still a work in progress and has quite a ways to go at that, but I wanted to get people's opinions before going further. It's a little more in line with the in-game museum:
                                [​IMG]

• Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

I'm loving it so far! Will you add windows? Also, don't forget the chimney! :)
                                  The minty green is nice, I really like the muted colours you've decided on!
                                  Though, have you tried making the same stone pattern you did in Alex's house for the museum's walls? I don't know how that would look like with the green, but why not?

• AtroxAmbitus

Thanks! I'll be adding a lot more to it (windows, chimney, etc.). I just wanted to see if this was a design people cared for, and it seems to be. I tried to make the green work with a brick-like design like on Alex's house, but It just doesn't look quite right, imo.

Edit: Some further progress:
                                    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
                                      Karmylla and Xuomi like this.
                                    • Xuomi

Xuomi Phantasmal Quasar

I love the new design for the museum a lot. It reminds me of some of the buildings I see when I drive through the countryside! I think it fits the theme of the valley much better.

Ah, I'm so excited for this! Now I want to replay the Pokémon games again, haha.

AtroxAmbitus likes this.
                                      • AtroxAmbitus

Update: Added the Museum to the main post and also added Pam's Trailer.

• Xuomi

Xuomi Phantasmal Quasar

Pam's house looks cute! It looks like a far more detailed version of those elongated buildings in Pokémon, like in Cerulean City or Lavender Town.

It also reminds me of the trailer home my grandparents live in out in the country, so I definitely approve. A nice upgrade for Penny from Pam's broken down version before.