return the scale of hunger!!!!

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by grangeo, Jan 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. grangeo

grangeo Space Hobo

:nurumad:before-5-6food item and scale of hunger
    after-100500+ food item...where the scale of hunger?
    why do we need food?:nuruneutral::nurumad::nurumad::nurumad:

2. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

3. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

4. whooplaah

whooplaah Void-Bound Voyager

I will say that the nightly build hunger bar drains waaaaaaaay too fast. When I start a new character and run through the ship intro - restarting ship, enabling teleporter, etc. - by the time I get to the planet surface my hunger bar is half empty. Also food makes no visible increase in the hunger bar.

I'm sure that all the food items are being given good hunger values, but balance wise I'm worried about how things will end up proceeding. Especially concerning complicated recipes like pizza and we have a conundrum: do all raw ingredients have really low numbers, or do complicated recipes have really high numbers? With option 1 the player must eat tons of raw food when they start a new game, with option 2 mid-level food will restore enough hunger that high-level food is never needed.

My proposed hunger scale:
    The hunger bar has 4 stages. Each stage is a full bar, but they overlap. As the first bar (green) is draining you see the 2nd bar (yellow) behind it. When green gets down to zero the yellow bar starts draining and you see the 3rd bar (orange) behind it. Then there is a red bar behind the orange. Each bar drains at a different rate, and each bar represents a different number of hunger. For instance:
    Green: 1 minute to drain, 200 hunger to fill, player has a "well fed" buff
    Yellow: 3 minutes to drain, 125 hunger to fill, no buff/no debuff
    Orange: 5 minutes to drain, 75 hunger to fill, slight debuff, slight damage over time
    Red: 6 minutes to drain, 50 hunger to fill, strong debuff, medium damage over time
    Empty: Strong debuff, high damage over time

So when you are really hungry a banana increases your hunger bar much further than when you are already full - it keeps you alive but doesn't get you to the "well fed" stage. If you want to stay in the green then you need good food.

TL;DR:
    Hunger bar should be arithmetic, not linear. This makes low-quality food useful to starving players and high-quality food necessary useful for maintaining a "well fed" buff. This is a balance between having a player eat tons of food all the time or having a lot of recipes with really high quality that make the hunger system ignorable or useless.

5. Kittani

Kittani Void-Bound Voyager

Just so long as I can get a mod that makes food stack again and removes the perishing component I'll be ok with it. Like so many newer additions it's only meant to annoy and frustrate the player and adds nothing to the game in terms of enjoyment. Mod it out.

6. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

If by "annoy and frustrate the player", you mean actually make hunger feel like it was an intended feature of the game instead of something tacked on last minute to draw in the people out there obsessed with pavlovian responses, then I wholly agree.