Reversed Reversal

Discussion in 'Side Quests' started by Red Space Monkey, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Red Space Monkey

Red Space Monkey Phantasmal Quasar

- Involved NPCs -
    Suspicious Seymour - Humanoid Merchant

- Location -
    Random Planet.

- Quest -
    On a random planet you will meet Suspicious Seymour. With luring words, he tells you that he is a trader of flamboyant and uncommon goods he gathers around the universe, always looking for new abstrusity. He urges you to buy a special injection that could give you the ability to resist any energetic projectile. If you accept, he quickly takes a call and leaves with his spaceship.

But using the injection will cause your controls to be reversed. Pushing left will make you run right and so on. Luckily the radar of your ship was able to track down his escape route.
    If you follow him and confront him about the scam, the encounter will end in a fight. Because of your reversed control scheme it will be kinda tough to beat him. If you manage to be victorious, you search his pockets and find an antidote for the irritating effect.

- Reward -
    If you loot him, you will find a strange gun that causes humanoid enemies to wander around aim and defenceless when hit, for 3 seconds.

2. Drayo10

Drayo10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ah, yes. What would an RPG... Sandbox... Multiplayer... Game, thing, be without a little stupidity on the player character's part?
    However, I don't know how balanced the gun you describe would be (Balanced, useful, one term or the other).
    What about a gun with...

It does low damage; Depending on the point you can get the gun at, it would be anywhere from a base of 15 damage to a base of 30 (But this is just random numbers and all).
    When an enemy is shot with it, however, it will undergo a status debuff. It could be confusion (Revered movement), Poison, being on fire, lowered defense/attack/speed, greater vulnerability to knockback, weakness to energy weapons, weakness to kinetic weapons, weakness to melee, or in an extremely rare case, transformation into an extremely weak enemy. Like a slime or something.
    If it hits an enemy that's immune to all the debuffs, the power of the gun would be transferred into pure energy, resulting in more damage. Combustible bosses would still burst into flame, and such.

Now, I really don't have any idea about the mechanics of Starbound, so my idea of your gun might just be a trainwreck waiting to happe--
    Wait. That's it!
    A gun that shoots trains!
    How about it?

3. Red Space Monkey

Red Space Monkey Phantasmal Quasar

I like your idea, really! I just searched for something that would go along with the theme of altering control and / or walking direction, so I chose this. But your idea would make for a damn funny weapon too, reminds of me of the Wabbajack from Skyrim. :D
    Also, shooting trains is lowtier, shooting the whole f*ckin' train station, man!

4. Bonoshman

Bonoshman Big Damn Hero

I think it would be as fantastic as being able to edit what people say in quotes!

(simple answer) Fantastic idea!