NPC ROBOTS!

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by the_mecha_engineer, Sep 17, 2013.

?

good?

1. HECK YEAH!

12.1%
  2. yes

6.1%
  3. ok

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. no

42.4%
  5. cookie

15.2%
  6. HECK NO!

24.2%
  1. laughinstok

laughinstok Zero Gravity Genie

Oh sorry I must have confused the STARCRAFT forums with the STARBOUND forums. Well ill just go and try to find the STARBOUND forums again.

2. the_mecha_engineer

the_mecha_engineer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

you still need to gather metal to build them

3. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

[​IMG]

Model QT-377665 likes this.
  4. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

You do that in RTS games too.

Model QT-377665 likes this.
  5. Facethelight

Facethelight Existential Complex

At the rate this is going, Korean jokes are gonna start appearing

6. the_mecha_engineer

ok people, i admit, i came up with this late at night, and i may have been a bit drunk, so, EVERY ROBOT SHALL BE NERFED!

7. Laptisen

Laptisen Guest

What
    Why
    [​IMG]
    Is this a mech, or a player?
    Or some OP randomness?

8. the_mecha_engineer

robots are basically cheaper then guards but they are dumb as hell, as in, they cant build, mine or any of that stuff, they can only scout planets, attack planets and defend bases

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2013
  9. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

No you don't. Proof:

Anyway, as for your idea, I can't support it. Having an army of robots would be unnecessary and would largely kill any challenge the game has, and the potential for griefing is far too high in a game that's already got too much griefing potential already.

You've obviously been playing a lot of Mann vs. Machine in TF2 (heck you even cite TF2 in your OP), and you somehow think that because Mann vs. Machine is cool in TF2, that it needs to be in Starbound as well.

Well, that's about the second worst reason for including a game mode into a game it wasn't designed for.

Mann vs. Machine works in TF2 because there are set classes, with set abilities, who must work together as a team to defeat the robot waves. Starbound does not have set classes, with set abilities, and even in multiplayer, you're not guaranteed to have a team. Furthermore, putting these NPC robots under a player's control could cause tremendous amounts of grief in mutliplayer, as people litter low-threat worlds with hostile robots that are far too strong for players who should be on that world to kill.

You propose this idea as though you have no concept of game systems. In Starbound, you cannot be 'crushed' by objects or terrain. Even if you're buried by sand/gravel, the only risk is suffocation. You pass through NPCs without harm unless they are actively attacking you and you touch the attack's hitbox. Your tanks wouldn't work because if they do not have an attack, they cannot cause harm and players can walk right through them.

You propose being able to transport hundreds of robots. Most worlds in Starbound don't even have a hundred NPCs total, unless you count randomly-spawned monsters. Unleashing hundreds of robots onto a world would cause tremendous lag as the game struggles to keep track of so many NPCs at once.

There are no random critical hits in Starbound anyway, so your proposed robots would never crit in the first place. If you take huge damage from an attack, it's actually becauseyou were hit two or more times simultaneously, and the game adds up the damage values. To see this for yourself, find an enemy with Bubble blast or Barb Spray or Shocking Bolt or Fire Spray, and jump directly into the path of the attack. You'll get hit with multiple projectiles simultaneously and take a large amount of damage. Then, with the same enemy, try to get barely clipped by the attack. You'll take only a single hit's worth of damage.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  10. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

WHY WAS THIS NECROED

WHY IS ANYTHING NECROED.

PLZ.

Nerva and Jonesy like this.
  11. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

It was necroed by its OP, too, now that you mention it. Which is the worst kind of necro - an OP that can't let a bad, poorly-thought-out idea go.

Clockwork likes this.