Modding Discussion Savefile to JSON (Tool)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by BitTwiddler, Dec 31, 2013.

1. BitTwiddler

BitTwiddler Void-Bound Voyager

I made a small tool that converts a player file to a json file. It converts everything but one section I don't understand.

My original plan was to make a save editor, however that part is not finished. I only added JSON inport/export support since I had a library that made that very easy.

This can convert both TO and FROM Json.

Download Link (7z)
    Download Link (zip)

Requires Java 7 (if you're not sure, you probably have it).

How To Use:
    1. Extract directory into your Starbound/player/ directory (starbound won't care).
    2. Drag and drop XXX.player (where XXX is any hex code [0-9a-f]) onto sbsjsoncConvertFile.bat
    3. Edit the XXX.json that it produces.
    4. Backup your XXX.player file.
    5. Drag and drop XXX.json onto sbsjsoncConvertFile.bat, it will produce the correct XXX.player (regardless if you renamed the json).
    6. Play Starbound

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  2. Dr. Toros

Dr. Toros Existential Complex

How exactly is this supposed to be used?

3. Freakbammer

Freakbammer Void-Bound Voyager

Just drag the .player file on the sb2json.bat, it will then create a json file of it.

4. BitTwiddler

Phew, I apologize for the wait. New years and all. I have completed the conversion back from JSON. In fact it converts it back identically. Meaning if you convert it from .player to .json and then back to .player without editing the json, the two .player files will be binary identical. (this is a good thing)

Now you can edit your save in pure plain text bliss (well close enough). No more being limited by what functions a save editor may have. No more toying around with hex editors.

P.S. If any mods see this, could the title be changed to "SaveFile To/From Json (Tool)", since I cannot seem to edit it myself.

5. BitTwiddler

Shameless bump

6. OmegaTerminal

OmegaTerminal Orbital Explorer

Does it work on Mac tho?