Saw this minutes ago.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Combaticus, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Combaticus

Combaticus Orbital Explorer

So, I was actually checking the Starbound page for a link to Stardew Valley to see how that was coming along and I saw the trailer for Halfway. I immediately became massively excited. Then when the trailer name dropped X-Com and Aliens in the same sentence I very nearly died from joy. This game went from literally unknown to most anticipated release for me. This is going to be a long 6 days guys. I'm glad I found you at the end of the Dev cycle and not in the beginning or I don't know what I'd have done. All that said I am a huge fan of the art style, I am a sucker for good pixel art, and you guys are delivering probably the best looking sprites I've seen (to my tastes, others may vary). Additionally, I am very excited about the mechanics of this game and have a couple of questions.

Will there be a character creation? Or will this focus on a preset character's narrative? Either way wont be a hard sell to me. Usually I like creating my own character, but sometimes, I can overlook this. At any rate, this will be a day one purchase for me, I cannot stress that enough.

I know you intend to make use of the modding community for expanded content, which is great in my opinion. Do you plan to release addition content post release? And no, this isn't a loaded question, I wont throw accusations around of day one DLC with you guys lol.

Lastly, how long will the campaign be? It may have been mentioned in the trailer but between mt very poor memory, and just the sheer excitement, some details may have slipped by me.

And on that note, the game looks absolutely amazing. I hope the launch is a success for you guys, and this project will allow you to continue your work in the game development world. I can tell just through the trailer that this project isn't a soulless cash grab on the trending "indie classic sprite retro super awesome old school game" kind of thing. Just watching the sprites move around and interact with the environments and the environments themselves, you can tell a lot of love and attention to detail had been placed. I might be talking out of my ass because that is a lot to infer from a minute and a half of trailer footage, but like I said, I am massively excited and very, very ready to dig into this game on the 22nd.

8bit Jim and DanRiverBrew like this.
    • Rossitto

Rossitto Space Hobo

No. Sorry. Try to make your ''real'' character in the ''real'' world more bearable. If it is that possible of course. ;)

• Dogkiller

Dogkiller Void-Bound Voyager

The game looks interesting, if you don't mind i also have a couple of questions.
        How customizable are the characters going to be?
        Do you get to pick which skills and attributes they raise or which traits they get or are you going for a more traditional Jrpg approach where each character gets specific improvements, already set by the game, when it levels?

How long do you estimate the game to be?

• Combaticus

Combaticus Orbital Explorer

Hahaha! I think I will manage.

• Nepomuk

Nepomuk Space Hobo

That’s my feeling exactly. The screenshots, the trailer and GIF animations all look very atmospheric already. It's the beautiful lightning effects, the battered environment and the little things like the shells dropping to the ground in this GIF that show that indeed a lot of attention to detail has gone into the game:

[​IMG]

I can say that only by the looks of it, by its artwork, I really like this game. I’m looking forward seeing the game in action now.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
            • Seminus

Seminus Halfway Developer Developer

@Nepomuk : you may call us crazy, but every weapon type has its own shell that drops on the floor ;)

About customization: We decided to go the path of predefined characters with lots of detail and personality instead of the "generic" custom type.
              We thought it was the better approach for a story driven game like Halfway.
              However you can change the abilities of each character with stimpacks you find in game and change their focus.