1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Shadow-Casting Lights (Discontinued!) 2/18/2015

Now every object that generates light casts shadows!

1. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

Shadow Wolf TJC submitted a new mod:

Shadow-Casting Lights - Now every object that generates light casts shadows!

Read more about this mod...

2. ollj

ollj Big Damn Hero

Very well and elegantly done. I just replaced a few lights but you merged all of them nicely.

A very simple change of making a light source cast shadow is a BIG game changer, adding much more darkness and atmosphere to any cave and room.

I would also like a lot of lights to be toggleable with a wire input signal. the "alarm" light has a wire input but it is not a light source.

Or at least have the Bulb-gate toggle shadow casting light instead of never being a light source.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  3. Gucky

Gucky Void-Bound Voyager

There is just a bit of a problem.
    Even despite having a highend rig I get HEAVY Lags (about 1-2 fps?) when im in a Apex Dungeon with many Teslas (parkour)

4. Shadow Wolf TJC

Yeah. I noticed earlier that too many shadow-casting lights causes major slowdown. That might've been why the devs decided to limit which objects have shadow-casting light to just the flashlight and a number of spotlights. Sadly, there's nothing I can do about it without it affecting the mod's ability to fulfill its purpose to provide all objects that possess some form of lighting with the ability to cast shadows (though I did experiment with applying it to the invisible lighting found on ships, only to disable it out of necessity due to massive lag caused by, like, over 100 invisible light objects). All I can do is to warn others that shadow-casting lighting puts additional strain on computer resources, so it would not be advised to use this mod if you have a low-end system. (Personally, I'm using a laptop with Windows 7 64-bit OS, 4 GB RAM, and an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU processor to play Starbound, and I only experience lag when there's like more than 25 shadow-casting lighting sources present on-screen.)

5. ollj

ollj Big Damn Hero

Lights that cast shadows will lower client site fps down to 1/3rd if there are ~30 on screen, no matter what, because it eats gpu and vram for breakfast. Blue Teslas possibly should not cast shadows because they come in too large quantities an make jumping puzzles too low in fps. instead someone can place "shiplight" in dungeons to cast shadows, they are invisible light sources used to light the outside of the spaceship.

one more reason to make many shadow casting light sources toggleable with wires. they need good graphic cards.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  6. Shadow Wolf TJC

Would you guys like for me to remove tesla spikes and burning coals from the mod, so that they would revert to their default versions that don't cast shadows, so that they would no longer cause major lag when they appear in massive quantities?

7. Starwisp

Starwisp Aquatic Astronaut

Maybe you could add an alternate version that puts shadow casting on only player held or thrown objects like the lantern on a stick and flares.

8. Holgast

Holgast Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This and the original Shadowtorch mod don't work for me, the torches act as in the default game. Am I missing something here? Do I need to make a new character?

9. Shadow Wolf TJC

No. You shouldn't need to make any new characters. I've tried it with a single character, and here's my results:

Before:
    2014-01-05_00010.jpg
    After:
    2014-01-05_00005.jpg

10. Holgast

That's very strange, especially considering that it uses __merge so there shouldn't be any mod clashes. I'm stumped.

11. Shadow Wolf TJC

Are there any mods that you're using that completely overwrite the original objects' code (that is, they duplicate the entire code) instead of using the __merge functionality to add in bits and pieces of code?

12. Holgast

Probably. I did that for my race mod to add the item descriptions.

13. Shadow Wolf TJC

That may be the problem. If those race mods aren't making use of the merge function to, say, add in custom race descriptions for various items, then that's probably causing compatability issues.

14. The lighting is probably something the devs will address a bit further down the line (not that this isn't a good mod).

15. wsensor

wsensor Subatomic Cosmonaut

I love this mod but I was in a uscm bunker base and it forced every fan in my pc to max making it quite loud haha. I really do like this mod though.

Basically tons of lights and this mod is bad.

16. Shadow Wolf TJC

17. Grinjr

Grinjr Phantasmal Quasar

18. Shadow Wolf TJC

19. Grinjr

Grinjr Phantasmal Quasar

Nope.

20. Shadow Wolf TJC