1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Shadow lads

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Oxygen, May 8, 2016.

1. Oxygen

Oxygen Aquatic Astronaut

So I think you have encountered one of these ---> [​IMG] while you're adventuring unto planets. And when I saw them I thought of the missing piece in the "Strange gate" or The "Ark".[​IMG]
    There is a missing piece next to the novakid, so my theory is this is a clue for the next new race or just the solid proof that there will be a new race.

2. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

I don't think they will be playable. I just want to know what they are. Are they evil? Are they former citizens of the planet that got malfested by the obvious, ominous "presence" that can be felt on these planets? I want to know if I should be killing them. They don't attack me, so I leave them alone.

3. Oxygen

Oxygen Aquatic Astronaut

I think they're evil because of their very disturbing shrines you find with them. I do not know what or who they are worshipping but It will most likely be NOT friendly.

4. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Jeez, just because they may or may not worship an Elder God of Darkness and Chaos does not mean they're all terrible people, you racist!
    We don't have a way to communicate with them currently, but they aren't openly hostile, so I don't see the problem. Really, I think they're quite nice. They gave me a cool shadowy cape and some nice windchimes. Or, well, I took those, but they didn't seem to object, so I assume they were fine with it. I think one even tried to sell me some stuff. I'm not entirely sure, since the whole time he (or she? Is there even a difference?) was kind of just staring at me. I took some stuff, placed what I considered the correct amount of pixels on the table, and slowly backed away. The encounter was quite awkward.

But really it's like the Agarans all over again! While so many people are going on and on about the "Agaran Menace", yes, some of them go around spreading dangerous, sometimes mutagenic spores everywhere, but I've encountered cities where they are perfectly civil and happy to have me around. In fact, they tried to get me to stay there for a few weeks! I insisted that I had adventuring to do, though. They were sad to see me go but they gave me a mushroom to take care of as a parting gift. Since I got it my ship's air has smelled a bit weird but I'm sure it's fine!

5. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Dunno, these folks don't seem to be hostile at all. As far as I know they don't even attack when provoked. Just some weird shadow people. They even have merchants.

I doubt there will be another playable race. We're too close to 1.0 for the devs to go "surprise a brand new race we never told you about". They're still adding content to the existing races so it wouldn't make any sense. The missing slot in the gate is most likely just a storyline thing.

6. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

Would be neato if the devs were like "POW! A whole new race to play as with 1.0 release!" as that is completely possible knowing that Novakids don't have a dot on the door because it wasn't a starting race. The devs did say there is a ton of stuff they purposefully left out of nightly so even those who play on that will have new stuff to look at on 1.0 release. If anything it would be the perfect time to add a new race if they were ever planning to as every race on 1.0 will deal with the story in some way. Be a little awkward to add new races later down the road otherwise if they wish for them to be part of the story.

7. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

I actually think it would be really awkward to add a race now. That would mean they'd been hiding a lot of stuff for the entire dev cycle. Like objects, items, lore, etc. I feel hiding content like that would anger a ton of people. Personally adding a whole race wouldn't excite me at all. IMO it would suck in a major fashion but maybe that's all just me :L

8. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

They have been hiding a ton of stuff though. And they told us they were hiding a ton of stuff to save for 1.0.

You bought early access, but that doesn't mean you get to see all the surpirses.

9. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Yes, but a full race is on a completely different level. There is a lot of stuff that goes into it. Character customization, generated structures, objects (+racial descriptions), items (armor/weapons), lore... Plus, with the information we've received, a new race would be segregated from the storyline, as only 6 races get a mission. There's no need to have another Novakid-type of deal (who didn't receive any stuff in a long time). Unless you think the devs have been tricking us with false information and art assets. I'm not expecting them to go the extra mile just for a surprise, not after they've received so much criticism on the lengthy development time.

I don't see it happening, and thinking they'd add a new race is just a convoluted string of assumptions based on a missing head on a gate. A head we've already seen, unless they've totally scrapped that idea.

Now I see I'm sounding so negative. Meh, I think I am. I just like the 7-race ensemble SB has, and my opinion is that another major race would break that.

10. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

I think there should be a race that specializes in staves and wands, just like the Novakids are a special race that does guns. If not vanilla, then definitely a mod. They should be either reptilian or mineral-based.

This is derailing fast. Yeah, the smokey dark people. I feel really bad killing someone who can't fight back. At least the air pirates have weapons.

11. Squeegeeie

Squeegeeie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If there is another race added, i think it would be neat, but I don't think it would be the shadow people, or I may be disappointed if it were. The way I see it, you have fewer customization options than you do with Novakid.. you don't get to pick your color anymore, I've only seen them come in shadow dark. Picking a hair style wouldn't matter much if it works like the shadow people I've seen, it'll be covered in smoke all the time. Do they ever have hair? Maybe you can pick an eye color, and your stance.