Story Shadows from the Abyss

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Zebe, Jan 4, 2014.

?

Whaddya want?

1. MORE, YES, OH YESS

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. I'd enjoy reading more of this. :)

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Nothin', just passin' by...

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. More of this? Not interested.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lemonade, with lemon. Shaken, not stirred.

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  1. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

[REDACTED]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    macodelo likes this.
  2. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

oh gurd doublepost banbanban thread necro you bad
    I'll just leave a picture of my dog here.
    [​IMG]

Zebe likes this.
  3. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

[REDACTED]

Owl_Stalker likes this.
  4. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

So is this one the lead-up to the Apex intro?

Zebe likes this.
  5. macodelo

macodelo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nice. I can see the intrigue in the story plot already. I like to think that the whole Apex storyline would involve a lot of government conspiracy, with some espionage here and there, and of course Marxist ideologies in a futuristic age. Perhaps a mix of Planet of the Apes or darwanistic themes.

I am enjoying this already.

Zebe likes this.
  6. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

[REDACTED]

ChaosDichter and macodelo like this.
  7. macodelo

Well, now that I officially know you are an Otaku, I can now visualize your next arc as an anime. Granted, the races in the game are sorta anime-ish anyways.

I can only imagine what each song represents, being that the lyrics are very dark, vague, and I guess each of the races show that? Because they come from tragic backgrounds.

Wow, I just realize how sad and unfortunate the universe of Starbound is.

I can't wait to see how your story unfolds. I am just making a new arc for my story as well.

Zebe likes this.
  8. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Vizualize it the way it seems best for you. As an anime works perfectly too.
    It will become clearer what the songs represents, as some of them fit the characters magically, even when I haven't even thought about it in advance. Or maybe that's the way I see them.

Starbound is dark, but also very cheerful and light-hearted. Sad themes are almost non-existent on the first glance, but they're hidden there somewhere. There is not certainty how the storytelling will continue when the game becomes more and more complete, but it has great potential.

I'll be reading your story, or more accurately, have been reading it!

=========

On another note, slight update to the intros.

EDIT: And the timing with the views was absolutely perfect. gg Orwell, no re.

[​IMG]

EDIT2: Aaand it's over 2000. THANK YOU!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    macodelo likes this.
  9. macodelo

I think I find it beneficial that our stories are always next to each other. Although I have to say, on an honest note, your story is more complete and exciting than mines. Mines is more random and have no order to it, but rather trying to make sense out of the chaos. Plus, the first story is more experimental as I am trying to find my way into producing fan fics. The second arc though will be more different, so basically my thread is an ever evolving fan fic.

I know Starbound can be more goody goody, especially when you play with others.

ALso, how did you make a pic of the fan fic list?

Zebe likes this.
  10. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

[REDACTED]

macodelo likes this.
  11. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

The introductions for the characters are complete. Four posts above! Tuesday is the day I make the new thread.

I'm not 100% sure with Zach's surname. I've been thinking "Drew", but not really sure about that. Any suggestions?

12. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Sir Lancelot the 2967th!

Zebe likes this.
  13. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

its a deel m8

**~^Sir Zachary Lancelot the 2967th^~**

14. macodelo

Randomness is a different kind of story line. I guess you can say maybe a little existential. Broken promises and expectations, and yet the never ending cycle of life. Things carry on from one to the next. It is a different viewpoint because I guess you can say I am more cyclical than linear.

Zebe likes this.
  15. macodelo

The cast is good, balanced, and even has Zach as one of them. Loving the continuity here.

Zebe likes this.
  16. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    macodelo likes this.
  17. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

[REDACTED]

18. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

So it has been wondering me for a while. I haven't got too much criticism on this story, and I'm already going onwards with another. It's hard to write a review or critique the story if you, the reader, haven't been doing it previously. In the case you WANT to give constructive and helpful feedback, I've got an idea.

Listing about 5 your favorite chapters could help to some extent. Or perhaps list all of them from best to worst. I'd get to know where I've done good and bad work. Of course any other criticism is appreciated, no matter how harsh if there's a point with it. :)

19. macodelo

I guess I can cheer you up on this subject. I am guessing forum peers just read and go as they please without feedback?

Well the only last chapter in which they all died was the worst in my opinion for those who cling on to characters (such as myself). But it does make great drama and unexpected twists, and the fact that he survives will only make your fan base thirst for more. Consider this the seed that paved way for your next fanfic.

Aside from that, the battle sequences and character development, if I hadn't mentioned it before, we're great because it pertained to certain sci-fi tropes, and a well balanced cast. But the philosophies, especially the chapter in which Zach had a lessons learned from Steelclaw on Glitch Existentialism 101. That, among other conversations such as the crew at the dinner table, in which the miserly underground lord butting heads with Silverleaf, and the what could-have-been romance with David and that Apex roque (reminiscing their cockpit conversation), are always the most memorable in my opinion.

Oh yes, the fast paced action scenes, especially when the team was being first introduced as they went along in their fabulous escape from The Hole, was a great achievement.

Having said that, never cease to use the element of teamwork and surprise. So applying that to your current fanfic, I look forward how Zach, or alone maybe just Bling, Blaze, Rin, Aya, Thornleaf, or any combination of them (even individually), can arise to the occasion--that makes great character development.

Plus, you can count on fans like me to be to stay loyal to that kind of fan base (^>_o) #salute#

Zebe likes this.
  20. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Happy birthday! First chapter was posted on January 5th 2013, just about a year ago. Oh, how the time goes by.

Congratulations, Shadows from the Abyss! (+Night Sky continuity) I'll keep writing this, it's so much fun!

artbot345 and macodelo like this.