Story Shadows from the Abyss

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Zebe, Jan 4, 2014.

?

Whaddya want?

1. MORE, YES, OH YESS

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. I'd enjoy reading more of this. :)

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Nothin', just passin' by...

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. More of this? Not interested.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lemonade, with lemon. Shaken, not stirred.

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  1. macodelo

macodelo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is gonna be a great anniversary.

I do wish though some visual art content should commemorate this. I bet there are plenty of SB artists that would help make a gallant book cover.

2. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Very good, very anniversary. I thought I could create the characters in Starbound, so readers could have some idea how I think they look.

And artwork, oh darn. That's something I can't do, and I'm also hesitant giving it for others to do, because it could look completely different from how I see it. Maybe, if make the characters in SB first... But eh. I'm not sure. If I were to request some art, who would you recommend? I haven't really been too active at the Fan Arts subforums.

3. macodelo

I guess you worry too much on how they would look, but remember how looks evolve over time. It is the same with Disney, Marvel, DC, etc. The looks change, but the timeless artifacts are priceless: Bling's cape, Rose's leafy burned hair, etc. Pixar is renown for their characters, but it took many concept artists to make them, and the head honchos will look at ALL of them and mix and match images to get a better quality of character.

Besides, it would be fun. And if your story gains more ground with the OPS/ADMINS, maybe they could set up an art contest.

Otherwise, you got fans, so a good start on how they would look is to inspire fans to create. Otherwise, you can always do it yourself--I am eager to see your drawings of Rose and Rin (>_o)

If you want I can doodle a quick one when I have time.

4. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

I guess what you say is true. Still... ugh, I don't have anything good to say. Maybe it's just a personal thing.

Don't even get me started with that art contest thingy. Also I don't think I'm going to finish Rin or Thorn any time soon. I just haven't got the inspiration for artsy stuff like that in a while. I'm in process of making Night Sky cast in Starbound, recoloring clothes and such. (As a side note, I have been playing as Aya, Thorn and Rin in current Unstable. In Nightly I had Aya as only familiar character. Darius I still have in the older Unstable versions.)

Of course if you or anyone want to do art of my characters, I'd be happy to feature such works in the story threads. Of course all credit would belong to the artist.

5. macodelo

Lol art contests. Sounds like something I shouldn't mention again. By all means sure. I'll do my best.

What is this Unstable?

6. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

By all means, mention art contests if you want, but don't expect anything. I have no plans like that.

I can't tell if you're kidding or not. Unstable build, Starbound...?

7. macodelo

Unstable build? Honestly I really don't know (^_^)'

8. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

The different development branches of Starbound:
    • Stable: Stuff that is finished and tested for bugs. The default thing to use.
    • Unstable: Stuff that must be bugtested before adding to Stable. Updated more often than Stable.
    • Nightly: Experimental dev builds that have the latest content but gone through none to minimal bugtesting. Every day 6 am UK time when there's new content.
    Official info:
    http://playstarbound.com/support/#unstable

Hope that helps a bit. ;)

9. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

[REDACTED]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    artbot345 and macodelo like this.
  10. macodelo

Thaz wha I talkin' 'bout!

The mildly opaque sunset-colored atmospheric glow with the shadows of the plot device squirming as if just awakened from an eternal slumber! Also the choice of font does match the classic alien theme, but with a tad spookiness. I like it. This speaks dread and sorrow as opposed to its more uplifting and positive counter part of a sequel.

Can't wait to see the images of the characters. I'm finishing up on mines but I'll just place it as fan art in the future (>_o).

Zebe likes this.
  11. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

So I removed the entire fic from existence last year. Probably should've said something earlier in case someone stumbled here. Anyway, here's the plan:

[​IMG]

I'm going to turn the entire thing to a game, with changes to the plot to fit the more recent updates to the SB lore. Its previous form was quite a dead end and I'm no longer happy with its quality. I like the characters though, so this is a good way to preserve the story in a way I can actually be somewhat proud of.

What kind of a game you may ask? Visual novel, sort of. You'll see. See when, you may ask? Dunno, I have more pressing things to do right now. This is more like something I'm planning to do rather than actively doing. Hopefully I'll get started with the first part later this year.

That's all. Thanks for reading.

Captain Karo and The Squid like this.
  12. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

I haven't been able to get this started yet! I have a lot of other projects... Maybe next year. One major change is that it likely won't be a Starbound fangame. It's been way too long since I've even played this game so I'm not really a "Starbound fan" any more, and I'm certainly not a fan of some of Chucklefish's business practices. Instead I'll take some inspiration from the "good old" lore and make up a new original universe for this project. Sadly I'll lose races like the Hylotl and the Floran as they are, but I think I can make up adequate replacements.

13. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

If there is anyone who still gets notifs from this thread, and remembers this fic, and is interested in seeing where the "adaptation" of the Shadows from the Abyss and Night Sky stories goes, DM me with some way to reach you that won't crumble to dust in the next few years. I might send something, like a download link to a store page and a redeem code. I still have a lot of fondness towards the idea of this story and characters, and I hope to transform them into *something*. There's a lot of other projects in the way though.