Shape of the Ship

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Tea Mate, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

Well, I saw the ship upgrade gif recently:
    http://playstarbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/ships.gif
    And I couldn't help thinking that the shape of the ship wasn't very nice looking. And I was hoping that perhaps you could change the layout of the rooms in the ship, thus changing the whole shape of the ship? I mean, in space there is no such thing as aerodynamic properties, since it's vacuum. So basically, your ship could have any room layout/shape you desire without it hindering you in any way. It shouldn't be something too difficult to add, right?

2. Relinies

Relinies King Homestuck III

Well, depending on how it was done, that'd be cool!
    But then you'd have idiots who would shape their ship like a dick then put you on the longest trip possible on board.
    Still, full support! Shenanigans all the way.

Ricky150, §hifter and KuroHinotori like this.
  3. Thorden

Thorden Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was thinking exactly the same! So instead of having your rooms automatically placed when you gain a new tier, you get additional rooms you could place yourself ^^

Ricky150 and §hifter like this.
  4. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

I am aware of that.
    If someone would do it in singleplayer mode, no one would see it or care, so the person can make his ship resemble the shape of whatever organ he wants.
    If someone would do it in multiplayer mode... Well, I suppose the person in question would just get banned. The same way people get banned for inappropriate names.

Problem solved.

13SithDeceiver13 and Ricky150 like this.
  5. Digs

Digs Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Who cares if some guy on the server has a ship that looks like a dong? If you don't like it don't go on his ship. If you REALLY don't like it, ban him from your server.

6. Spazmatism

Spazmatism Aquatic Astronaut

Since I really don't like the shape of the ships at the moment, I support this fully.
    I would love to be able to shape it myself.

7. Luffy

Luffy Aquatic Astronaut

You have to keep in mind that this is only one races ship, perhaps the others aren't as bad? still though i think you have a great idea :)

8. Master_Discord

Master_Discord Big Damn Hero

Yeah, it seems like the ships should certainly be modular and allow for customization in hull design. Perhaps not to the extent of dickships but you could have a long straight line of compartments, or a cluster of compartments or whatever in between.

Maybe that's how it is already and we're just misinterpreting the available data? :) I'd like to think Tiy is crafty like that.

DeadlyLuvdisc, Luffy and §hifter like this.
  9. Spazmatism

So far I've seen a Glitch ship, a Floran ship, and a Human ship, and they all look relatively the same in shape.

10. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

I actually like the current designs. Even if they allow customization, which I suspect they will to some degree, I can't think of many improvements as far as where I'd place the rooms. Of course, that all depends on how many rooms you can add and how it actually works in practice, as well as how they do ship-2-ship combat.

One thing I dislike about the .gif is that the second tier adds on 3 new rooms, which is a 300% increase in overall space, not counting the vertical shaft that connects them. On the other hand, the third tier only adds on two more, a mere 50% increase in overall space compared to second tier. It might seem more gradual if the second tier had two additional rooms, and the third had three additional rooms. EDIT: Also, this would result in the number of rooms with each upgrade creating a triangular number function, which is good for my OCD.

11. Digs

Digs Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It isn't that the current designs are just terrible, I just think it'll drastically detract from the game if my ship and the ship of someone I've never met are the exact same layout with a different color background, and there's only so much difference furniture can make.

§hifter likes this.
  12. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

Yeah, I started fiddling around in paint, thinking about potential layouts I could make if I had complete control over where each room was placed, as well as the vertical shaft. I even toyed around with a room that was twice as tall as the others. In the end, I think all of them ended up looking worse than the one in the .gif image. Of course, they weren't totally bad, and it definitely would be nice to see ships with totally different layouts.

In the end, all we can do is wait and see. We don't really even know what it will be like yet.

TinnedEpic likes this.
  13. bluechaos27

bluechaos27 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I thought this exact thing when I saw the gif, I hope each race has their own ship shapes, or that we can customize to our liking

§hifter likes this.
  14. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Just think of the thousands of ships that vaguely resemble The Enterprise, or a YT 1300.

Oh potatoes... Starbug.

15. Spazmatism

What would be cool is if we could change the shape of the hull, and change where the next tier parts would go. It would allow for people to be much more creative with their ships designs.

§hifter likes this.
  16. GeorgeManea

GeorgeManea Star Wrangler

[----][----][----][----]
    .......[~~~]
    [----][----][----][----]

2 tiers later a

[----][----][----][----][----][----]
    ...............[~~~]
    ...............[~~~]
    [----][----][----][----][----][----]

tier 10 would be
    ....[-----][----][----][----][----][----]
    [----] ..........[~~~] ...................[----]
    ...................[~~~]
    [___] ..........[~~~] ...................[___]
    ....[___][___][___][___][___][___]

[~~~] being the ships main deck
    .... - space

I really would like to make something like this! :up::love:

Thorden and §hifter like this.
  17. Wuzhles

Wuzhles Cosmic Narwhal

Having a preset ship isn't so bad since I suspect you will spend more time on planets anyway. But I agree that the shape of the current preset is bad. I prefer if they moved the lower extension a floor up.

bluechaos27 and TinnedEpic like this.
  18. TinnedEpic

TinnedEpic Void-Bound Voyager

Seems like the ship atm is built primarily to provide the player with space, to place things etc I imagine like a mobile base you can take with you to each world. To carry the equipment you need to analyze and survey a planet. Perhaps there can be different layouts people can use, each with their own 3 stage update system. I mean to implement them all before the beta would be rediculous but eventually down the road we could see something like 2-3 different designs per race.

Possibly 'add-ons' which sit outside the ship changing it's visuals slightly to make each ship unique according to what the user wants their ship to look like. thus giving people freedom to make their ship unique in a sense. Just little things like being able to change the tint colour of the glass, the ships base hull colour, addable or removable antennas/dishes/aethetic engines/aethetic weapons/widows/lights/wings/etc.

bluechaos27, Spazmatism and §hifter like this.
  19. Joker

Joker Starship Captain

I want to build a ship, not to upgrade something looks like a collection of boxes.

20. Digs

Digs Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Exactly, I can make due with boxes I get to move around or multiple designs, but what I really want is the ability to build whatever I can think up out of blocks. Maybe someone will mod that in and just "forget" about the atmosphere issues, even allowing for space boats!

bluechaos27 and Spazmatism like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.