1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Sharing of achievements across Windows users

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by MacClarence, Jun 13, 2022.

1. MacClarence

MacClarence Space Hobo

I have done a search, but I may not be using good search terms and have not seen this addressed.

My kids both own Starbound on Steam and have it installed on the same computer but under different users (running Windows 11). Unfortunately they appear to be sharing achievements and certain aspects of game progression. Every other Steam game they own treats their progress as if they were on completely different computers. Help me help them! How do I separate their progress?

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

The game saves the state of universe and characters directly in the game folder instead of the user folder. If you wish to have progress seperated you need to make 2 different starbound installs.
    If they share the same steam account then steam achievements will still be unlocked for both.

3. MacClarence

MacClarence Space Hobo

They do not share a Steam account and it was installed on each of their separate accounts as well as on different Windows users. This is the only game for which this has ever been an issue.

4. Iris Blanche

As mentioned above you'll need 2 different Starbound installs in this case, as in 2 totally different locations to where the game is installed because Starbound stores the saved data directly in the game folder. If both installs share the same folder then they share the same universe as well as any achievement triggers that are universe dependent. That the universe is shared between characters is intended.

For example:
    Windows user A installs to "C:\Program Files\steam\steamapps\common\starbound" as well as Windows user B -> both have the same universe and character files shared regardless of steamaccount and/or windows user account and steam achievements are tracked on the universe and not account.
    If the locations differ between the two users then both users have different files and their achievements tracked individually which is what you're looking for. Another solution to this would be working with a second config file and launcher arguments within steam if you want to stick with 1 install which requires editing some stuff.

5. MacClarence

MacClarence Space Hobo

Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression the data was stored in their separate user directories. That's a bit disappointing and seems like a huge oversight on the part of the developers. No other game we have is unable to provide different experiences for separate user accounts. And Steam doesn't seem to let me set up a different library on the same drive. I've experienced lag when previously trying to store Steam data on an external device. If you've got an alternative solution, I'm all ears.

6. Iris Blanche

As I said, it's intended that the universe is shared between different characters.

If you're stuck with one library only then you'll need to setup an additional config file and add an argument to the steam launch options for Starbound.
    Steps for the additional config are:
    1) Go to the location where Starbound is installed, you'll find a folder called win64 in there.
    2) Inside the win64 folder there will be a file called sbinit.config.
    3) Copy the file and rename it to something else, e.g. sbinit_second.config (any name is fine, just keep the .config extension)
    4) Open the newly copied file with a text editor of your choice. The contents should be something like this:
    Code:
    {
      "assetDirectories" : [
        "..\\assets\\",
        "..\\mods\\"
      ],

"storageDirectory" : "..\\storage\\",

"defaultConfiguration" : {
        "gameServerBind" : "*",
        "queryServerBind" : "*",
        "rconServerBind" : "*"
      }
    }

5) change the names of "mods" and "storage" to something else and save it, e.g.
    Code:
    {
      "assetDirectories" : [
        "..\\assets\\",
        "..\\mods_second\\"
      ],

"storageDirectory" : "..\\storage_second\\",

"defaultConfiguration" : {
        "gameServerBind" : "*",
        "queryServerBind" : "*",
        "rconServerBind" : "*"
      }
    }

6) Open steam and select Starbound in the library of the account which you want to have a different save location for.
    7) Right click and select Properties.
    8) In the general tab of the properties find the line for "Launch Options".
    9) Put the following to the options:
    Code:
    -bootconfig sbinit_second.config
    The filename given in the argument MUST be the same as the one you copied.

It is very important that you do not break the file structure of the config file, otherwise the game will not launch! Also on the account where you're changing the data it will be an empty universe again so anything build in the previous universe will be lost. Also character files need to be transfered manually unless it's okay to completely start over on this account.

7. MacClarence

MacClarence Space Hobo

I appreciate the in-depth response. I’ll give it a shot on my user first since we got the 4-pack. Then if I’m successful, I can give them each an independent save file.

Thanks!

Iris Blanche likes this.