Ship's engine room (and game changing factors)

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Nibolas O Anelbozas, Dec 20, 2015.

Tags:
?

What are your thoughts on this idea?

1. Very good!

22 vote(s)
    95.7%
  2. It's poopy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Good, but it can be improved

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

I was playing with a buddie and rebuiling his ship, when I thought of something that could be cool, engine rooms. Think about having to rebuild your engine room at the beginning? Well i'll share my ideas and a sketch for visual reference :
    [​IMG]
    (I did avian because i know more about them)

What if we had to collect some minerals and other materials to actually rebuild the engine room to be ready to exploration? Maybe crafting a new kind of block made of core fragments to actually put them in the background (or inside the engine) so you'll have a function system!

Also the S.A.I.L data could be stored there as well, maybe interacting with it or rebuiling it would be the new way to Reboot the ship's AI?

The console could show some valuable information about the conditions of your engines, which would open doors to a whole new level, People keep asking for space encounters and battles, so what if your engine gets damaged during a penguin attack? You'll quickly have to run to the engine run and do something to escape them!

The fuel tank could serve as a fuel storage, or "back up" fuel, it would be able to store more than the fuel locker in the pilot's room.

Well I don't have much more to say, I'd be glad if you guys helped to develope this idea.

Update
    Forgot to mention the upgrading part of it!! The room could get bigger, and cooler as you progress through the game, maybe you can create some "furniture" that'll give some special stats to you, like hull resistance (again, about space fights) and less fuel usage. If the ship gets destroyed you'd have two options, rebuild your engine room with what you have or beam down to get some core fragments again (You wouldn't want to lose a battle).

And think how would it be with the other races, the human ship could've have a flux capacitor, the floran coul been an apex hijacked engine, the Novakid would've a nice engine room of a train, the possibilities go on

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  2. Sir Wilfrey

Sir Wilfrey Spaceman Spiff

I really like this idea! It should be Vanilla Starbound, I'd totally support that!

Kaiachi and Nibolas O Anelbozas like this.
  3. Kaiachi

Kaiachi Tiy's Beard

That's a rather interesting sort of idea, and it's more interactive (which is always welcome.) Even if this weren't implemented, I could see it being a neat mod. Nice sketch, by the way. I wonder what other races ships would look like.

Nibolas O Anelbozas likes this.
  4. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Thanks!! My mind is popping with some ideas right now[DOUBLEPOST=1450630746][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Thanks, I only play avian so i'm used to their things, found that would come out better if I did them, but if you want to draw some sketches for the novakid I'd gladly add to the main post!

Sir Wilfrey and Kaiachi like this.
  5. Kaiachi

Kaiachi Tiy's Beard

Sure thing, I might draw something up.

Sir Wilfrey likes this.
  6. Nibolas O Anelbozas

You don't need if you don't want. Just said because maybe you'd wanted to but was shy idk xD

Kaiachi and Sir Wilfrey like this.
  7. Firepaw Da Cat

Firepaw Da Cat The Fluffy Cat

I really like this idea! ( i was playing with him when he came up with it )
    I think the part with the core fragments is pretty interesting and cool sounding, as it also gives them a more uses than just making ship upgrade modules and repairing your thrusters one time.

8. Nibolas O Anelbozas

You see, they're almost useless, just like the erchius crystals (which are useless), maybe the erchius crystal would come in hand with it? instead of core fragments, we could've mine some erchius crystals to also upgrade the ship

9. Kaiachi

Kaiachi Tiy's Beard

I already have a conceptual design in the works.

10. Sir Wilfrey

Haven't seen your work in a while, can't wait to see!

Kaiachi likes this.
  11. Nibolas O Anelbozas

that's fast and productive

Sir Wilfrey and Kaiachi like this.
  12. Firepaw Da Cat

That was fast.
    Would you also be willing to try and draw concept art of what the engines would look like on other races ships would look like?

13. Kaiachi

Kaiachi Tiy's Beard

Hrm.. maybe? Depends on my queue.

14. Firepaw Da Cat

That would be fine
    But you don't need to draw them if you're not that interested though

Kaiachi and Nibolas O Anelbozas like this.
  15. Nibolas O Anelbozas

As i'd said before, i might give it a shot, but i don't understand nothing about the other races

Kaiachi and Sir Wilfrey like this.
  16. Sir Wilfrey

You understand that Wilfrey is king of all Novakid, that's all you need to know!

17. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

So...
    Much...
    Yes...

Okay I'm done...

18. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

With current restrictions on ship space, I really don't see this happening. However, if Chucklefish were to add additional space to the ship, I'd say it would be a great idea.

19. Nibolas O Anelbozas

A new room for each ship, just for the engine right?

20. Extazy620

Extazy620 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The french guy say yes. Keep working !

For more idea, check this game (Pulsar: lost colony),