Question Shopping for new computer. No idea what to look for.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Coldboots, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Coldboots

Coldboots Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm not looking for the best machine, just something that can run Starbound without lag. I'm on a tight budget. I understand that the game is more cpu intensive than anything else, but how do integrated graphics cards perform in this game?

2. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

You know how they say, a good computer always costs 1000$ for it's time.
    If you want specifics, Starbound, like every sandbox, is very RAM intensive; you might also want a better than average CPU.
    Integrated cards... Hard to say. I roll on Acer Aspire with 6 GB RAM and Intel Core i5 (1.7-2.4 GHz, depending on settings) with integrated card. It's good underground and in the wilderness, okayish in missions and towns, and really starts lagging around large amount of effects (darn Midnight with it's constant storms) and huge congregations of NPCs (from 30 on the same screen and upwards, albeit RAM is probably the weak link here)

3. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Moved to General Discussion

4. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Integrated in the past was not so great, but now a days it has improved quite a bit over the years. Granted it still better to have a dedicated, but should still run on integrated if you are not getting one of the older models. there is a difference between a chipset and integrated. I run on a 2012 model of intel HD combined with a dual core B960(2.2ghz each), which is what came with my laptop; believe it to be the 3000 series due to the individual system specs it gives. However does run at 30-45 fps most the time, and only slows down on occasion around effects as the other person put it. In other words slows a bit when there is a lot going on that is loaded on the screen.

However the main things as noted above to be looking at should be the CPU & RAM. The faster it is, the smoother; generally. Especially with games like these that every block is modifiable. Make sure it supports opengl of latest, and you should be good to go. Or well at least near it. So if you can find one that is 3.0 ghz CPU or more, that would be better obviously; just make sure to have a decent amount of RAM, as the 4gb that I have is lacking. I could actually upgrade it to double that, just not got around to getting another DDR3 card for it, or a new pair to replace it.

Just don't expect an integrated to run every game, since some games don't even support integrated, and usually mention it. But this one does support it, so no worries on hopefully it functioning. Every computer is different depending on the hardware, and tricky to judge how well each will run; even from the same make.

5. Coldboots

Coldboots Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Heh, I'm a budget gamer, so pixelized games and lower impact stuff and casual games are usually what I go for. Also still enjoy older games like morrowind and oblivion and also some even older games from the nineties (like darklands, master of magic, and daggerfall, among others.). Thanks for the input all, it's helpful.

OT: I remember when Oblivion needed a supercomputer for it's time to run well, or a ton of performance enhancing mods.

Tamorr likes this.
  6. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Yeah, I know the feeling... As that is what I mainly play is mostly the ones that are somewhat able to run on a low end, well... low end now... Hence my laptop NE56r48u model that I got as a gift because I needed something for a computer. My desktop has no chance in running anything today, but plays quite a few older games, including a few 16bit ones I have owned. I myself don't usually go for the top of the line due to budget. I'm not really missing much from the looks of it though, since plenty of games I can play are coming about. Never played oblivion, but morrowind... that I do remember quite well.

I would suggest definitely something better than the model I have, just to have better framerate, and more likely to run. Just glad this one runs well enough for me to play. And your welcome. :nuruhappy:

7. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

It would help to know your budget. In terms of good, cheap CPUs with good integrated you can't go wrong with the AMD A10-7870k. In terms of RAM it depends on your MOBO (240 pin vs 288 pin). Well I guess the same goes for CPU because of different socket types. But for RAM generally quantity > quality. You definitely don't need DDR4 so you can go the cheaper route of DDR3. Here's a cheap option for instance. Again, it would really help to know your budget and exactly what you want/need this computer to do.