Modding Discussion Size limit on generated structures?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by DraikNova, Jan 7, 2017.

1. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

As the the title states, is there a maximum size for generated structures beyond which they don't generate properly?

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Not that I recall. You can make some rather big things. Just look at the hylotl mission dungeon.

3. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, but that's not randomly generated, that's a mission.

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

How big are you looking to make? I'm fairly sure it will be fine.

5. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Uhmmm, the sea floor of a toxic planet to the upper atmosphere?

6. Monijir

Monijir Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You can just make a sectional and use the boolean tiles in tiled to repeat it until it hits empty background. I remember doing something like that on ocean worlds back in beta

7. midramble

midramble Space Hobo

I believe if you create a structure as a dungeon or microdungeon you can set the maximum generation size and maximum parts number. Beyond even that, from the size of the png that mapgen creates, it looks like if you want to hand make the entire structure, you can make a structure the size of the entire planet.

I may be wrong though.

8. Monijir

Monijir Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you link a bunch of microdungeons it changes the world generation depending on the angle you approach the anchor point from. At least it did that when I tried to split a structure into to parts for someone back in beta. If you walked from the left everything completed but walking to the right left half the dungeon out!