NPC Slaves

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by DuskrunnerX, Jul 29, 2013.

1. DuskrunnerX

DuskrunnerX 2.7182818284590...

New thread name: 'Indentured servants'

To everyone viewing this thread, please take note of the review and changes to the concept further through the thread before voting. Regards, Dusk.

After looking at a plethora of guilds the other night I noticed that many have an inherent 'good' or 'evil' moral ideology, wherein there are declared rival or enemy clans. Considering 'clan wars' as a popular topic I thought that it could be possible that players enslave particular defenseless NPC's, which could grant the captor some sort of benefit or to be used as a resource to sell. The slaves could be freed by an invading 'good guy force' upon which they are given some sort of a blessing granting them a buff to say resource collection or a coordinate to an interstallar treasure.

I'm not sure how realistic this idea is to apply to the game, but I thought it might add to the roleplay and rivalry between clans.

2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

There are two reasons I like to have slavery in games. The first is so I can free slaves. The second is so I can murderise slavers.

Now, while this idea sounds pretty good, I'm not sure of how well people would react if the player could have slaves of their own. Naturally, the game isn't condoning it, but people may still find it offensive. That's probably something you should consider. You should also probably keep in mind that people will appreciate being able to free slaves.

CubeX, Taylor, Servilus and 1 other person like this.
  4. Core

Core Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't think the devs would risk implementing this into the game, even if you didn't mean it to sound bad. Plus what Jonesy said, certain people will take it the wrong way. :confused:

Jonesy and Servilus like this.
  5. DuskrunnerX

Thanks for the feedback, just a thought.

Jonesy and Core like this.
  6. Servilus

Servilus Big Damn Hero

Gotta agree with the other two on this matter. As much as i wouldn't mind having a random slave do my bidding, or on another character freeing slaves; it just wouldn't be a "good move" to implement this.

Core likes this.
  7. Core

Core Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you feel bad, stop feeling bad at once! I made a suggestion and it got shot down immediatly because I was too lazy to find the original suggestion ;)
    - Your Orange Avian Amigo (Means Buddy :p)

8. DuskrunnerX

No I'm not feeling bad, just didn't think so far as to the potential repercussions of implementing the idea, but it makes sense that some people may be offended. Besides, that's what the forum is for, discussion! :)

Core likes this.
  9. Jonesy

You can still have a system where there are hostile NPC slavers the player can kill, and you can then free the slaves for a reward or something. Maybe there could be a militant group of abolitionists who you can join to get quests to free slaves.

DuskrunnerX and Servilus like this.
  10. flamingfirewarrior

flamingfirewarrior Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well. I feel we should just bring this outta the bag right now.
    People will make ANYTHING an excuse to bring race into the argument.
    (or in this case species.)

It's called the race card. I would add a picture of the race card, but then someone would pull a race card.

Jonesy likes this.
  11. DuskrunnerX

That makes sense, so if you are morally inclined to be an interstellar philanthropist you can progress through such quests, maybe even get some sort of renknown or statue made of your character on a planet of greatfully freed people.

Jonesy likes this.
  12. Core

Core Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sounds like a pretty good idea. Although, with how it is in this world (for the USA atleast), some easily-offended people will find a way for this to be racist.
    Basically what this guy said :p

Jonesy and Servilus like this.
  13. Jonesy

If it can happen to any race, they can probably get away with the whole "it's all made up" argument. After all, I didn't hear about anyone getting upset over games like Morrowind or Fallout: New Vegas for having slavery. Mostly because the main interaction you had with slaves was freeing them, and often killing their owners.

Servilus and Core like this.
  14. Servilus

Servilus Big Damn Hero

I remember in Fallout 3 ( I think ), you could actually work for the slavers too, and i don't remember much in way of complaining from people about it. So i guess if they do it right, they could add Slavery in, and no one would care.. or at least not a lot would.

Core and Jonesy like this.
  15. Jonesy

Yeah, that's right. Hell, Civilization IV let you have slavery as an early labor civic, yet nobody made a fuss over it to my knowledge.

Core and Servilus like this.
  16. DuskrunnerX

That's true, or the thread could be called 'Minimum wage NPC's that get over-taxed and are falsely imprisoned' now it's really generic.

Core and Servilus like this.
  17. Jonesy

I think, long story short, people won't really get their knickers in a knot if slavery is in the game. Even so, it's probably better to have slaves only free-able (and cannot be used by the player), and what I said before about any race becoming a slave (so it doesn't discriminate, as it were).

DuskrunnerX likes this.
  18. Core

Core Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Why not call them minions, then nobody really gives a rat's behind (quote form some movie).
    There's tons of shows and movies with minions and people really don't care, but once you call them slaves, people blow up. :confused:

DuskrunnerX and Jonesy like this.
  19. Servilus

Servilus Big Damn Hero

Bringing up Fallout 3 again. I can't quite remember if you were able to have a slave as a companion, or you had to buy her or whatever, but im almost completely sure you were able to. I think what they did was, you had to buy her and then you "set her free" but she was all: "I think i'll just follow you instead."

20. Jonesy

Space Pirates and Zombies referred to crew members as Goons, who are implied to be slaves. But that name implies that they're willingly working for their employer, or have been hired.

I don't think I ever had her as a companion, but I remember Morrowind actually let you buy slaves. Aside from them following you, you could just immediately let them free.

Servilus likes this.