1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue SlideShow-Like Lag around any single NPC

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by intel01, Sep 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. intel01

intel01 Space Hobo

*UPDATE* Tested mobs and they produce minor, livable lag. The S.A.I.L. programs dialogue box also causes the same heavy lag i get from NPCs. Weird.

So I purcharsed starbound. All my friends really enjoyed it and I've been eyeing it for over a year and I finally did it. But there's a problem. I decided "why not do the starting quest?" and instantly regretted purchasing this horror show. It seems fun, and I'm lag free whenever I'm away from any NPCs. I finished the starter quest for human race by stuttering through all the laggy NPCs with a few breaks where I was lag free without NPCs nearby. Well, I figured it would be fine after that. I was wrong because I lag on the ship too. Damn near 0 frames. I assume it's because of the cat, or the S.A.I.L. thing. Dunno if that registers as an NPC or whatever but it still lags just as much. I got to the surface and had no lag at all, but also haven't had any experiences with enemies as I ended up in the ship again somehow after a few strides into the wilderness but I haven't tried to play since. The lag makes me a bit angry and I'm almost ready to give up on it. I have tried a few "fixes", such as setting it to run as administrator (this actually made it work at around 1 fps instead of being damn near frozen), removing steam overlay (nothing happened), and deleting 2 registries that steam uses (supposed to do something but it didn't do anything either). I'm requesting aid from anyone with this problem or anything similar because it's very dumb to keep a game that is absolutely unplayable. Been letting my brother play it on his 32bit win7 laptop and he's had absolutely minimal issues compared to me (slight drop in frames when accessing menus and interfaces).

Specs:
    Intel core i5-460m dual core processor
    (Integrated Graphics chip) Intel HD Graphics i5 core
    4gb RAM (around 3.5 available)
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

The game is playable, just without NPCs and pets (have yet to test mobs). That's not a good game imo. Please help.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  2. Aimbot

Aimbot Void-Bound Voyager

Try upgrading to windows 10 (i know hell its torture) but it did fix the Frame rate issues (still laggy if too many get in screen,BUT i still need to warn you Access violation errors ARE VERY COMMON)
    Oh yeah starbound just came out of early access
    Game is yet to be optimized

3. solarBOUNDER

solarBOUNDER Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sometimes monitors affect the framerate by increasing the graphics quality if the resolution is big, for example, 1940x1080. Do you use any external monitors? Like T.V.s