1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Slight Change in Death Text

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Flickerbell, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Flickerbell

Flickerbell Scruffy Nerf-Herder

While I love death text and all the things it can say, lately it's been saying things to suggest lowering the difficulty. While I understand that making a game easier means I can play longer, I quite like the challenge. Having the game tell me I'm not good enough is really a bummer, even if I've made progress in my own mind. All I'm suggesting is maybe an option to turn off those specific texts, so I don't have to feel like I suck after getting farther than ever.

• Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

When I get those sort of texts I don't get sad, I get mad! I tell that game, "Nuh uh honey, you think you're too hard for me? Well I'll show you!"

And then I fail again... the point is, it kinda motivates me to try and kick its ass.

• Flickerbell

Flickerbell Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I agree that they are motivational in their own sense, and I thank you for saying so. :)
        I'd still like the option though. Especially because seeing "your internal organs have failed" after being burnt to death is way more hilarious.

ggh325 and Evangelion like this.
        • ggh325

ggh325 Subatomic Cosmonaut

In my opinion, the game with the best death messages is teleglitch. Some of them are a paragraph long, and apply to real life.

• geekofalltrades

geekofalltrades Phantasmal Quasar

There should be an ini or json configuration file containing all possible death lines that the game would load at startup. Then you could comment out the ones you don't like, and even add your own. Even neater would be the ability to customize based on what class you're playing and/or what killed you (the game already tracks that info, so it shouldn't be that huge a task).