Modding Discussion "Slime Race Mod" - bouncing or fall damage?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by XelSlime, Oct 5, 2016.

?

Are you alright with bouncing off of stuff instead of taking fall damage?

1. Alright.

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. It does make sense for slimes...

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Depends on the amount of bounce.

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. Do what you want to do.

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. I hate bouncing, I'd rather take the fall damage.

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. Just make them take no fall damage.

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. XelSlime

XelSlime Scruffy Nerf-Herder

PLEASE READ THE THREAD FIRST.

At a point, I wanted to make these slimes bounce instead of taking fall damage. I forgot about that (and wouldn't be sure how to do it anyway, I'm no programmer or whatever), but Chopan did the work, and I tried it out just now.

With this change, the ability to take fall damage is replaced with bouncing when hitting a surface. This includes when you run into walls or hit your head on the ceiling. It's comparable to the bouncy effect caused by "Sticky Slime" in Frackin' Universe, and though I didn't like that at the time, well... I admit it's kind of fun, and it can be considered both a pro AND a con in that way. Trading one thing for another, which... can be controlled, actually, with the right stuff.

NOTE however, that I will also be making a variant of the Wall Jump, one that lets you stay in place like the sticky slime you are. I might drop the mid-air jump on this "Sticky Wall Jump" or whatever it'll be called, for balance's sake. I mean I know, sticking to a wall and not sliding isn't that big a deal (unless you'd regularly have to keep jumping like MegaMan X to stay in a safe point during a boss fight or something), but this's the only wall jump I know of that'll let you stay in one spot. At least I hope it works out.

I'll begin working on it right now.

...and it's been decided. If there's any bounce, it'll be part of another tech. Maybe one that lets us transform into a slime like the ship pet. A slime that bounces and can float in the water.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  2. TheNextDecade

TheNextDecade Phantasmal Quasar

So the slimes need lead boots to sink? That's fun.

3. Zavender

Zavender Scruffy Nerf-Herder

To be honest, I'd assume the slimes would either bounce, or simple kinda.. Squish when they hit the ground. Like, you hit the ground too hard and your head goes to your knees before it all slides back up together. Could be done by making a slow effect on lethal fall damage, but that'd get annoying fast.
    But yeah, too bouncy and it'll be uncontrollable, but just a bit should be enough to be kinda fun and useful.

Kiweird likes this.
  4. XelSlime

That honestly sounds amusing, a race needing to weigh themselves to sink in the water, but I could see issues with getting stuck in a crevice under an island and accidentally dropping the weight item and...

...yeah let's just leave it to equipment and tech.

As for bouncing and squishing n' stuff, I wouldn't mind bouncing, but I'd rather have it only activate when we fall from high enough that we would take fall damage. The only thing I know to do is make it a racial ability, but that would always be on, and cause them to bounce when they hit the floor, wall, or even the ceiling.

An alternative is a tech, but I don't know how to make a toggle-able self-buff like that, though there was an old tech though that put up a bubble around the user when activated, making them bounce when they hit the ground. Not something I'd imagine people would be likely to use in place of mid-air jumps, wall-jumping, speed, or a sphere. however. Not as useful in as many situations.

Splatting against the ground... I've got no idea how that'd be pulled off.

5. Zavender

Zavender Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Actually, if you want it like that.. Simply make it so it checks the player's speed (or fall height, if you can track that), and if its get over a certain level, turn on the bouncy buff. To make it toggle, just have it as a tech thats either on all the time (the script checking and all), or you can choose another tech, maybe. Lots of tiny ways you could sneak it in, I'm sure.

6. XelSlime

Ah, if only I knew anything about LUA... hehe.

Would be nice to have our fun while not annoying people as they do regular non-deadly traveling about though. No slight bouncing when walking into a wall, only bouncing when falling a distance that'd cause damage normally.