Modding Help [SMAPI] No config files?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Kiakakash, May 27, 2016.

1. Kiakakash

Kiakakash Orbital Explorer

Hi all! I've been having issues with a mod tonight, and was told the way to fix it would be to change some parameters in the config file that should have been created after first launching SMAPI & loading my save.

Problem is, there is no config file. In fact, all of the other mods that this was supposed to happen with don't have one either, and I have been playing the game with them on for weeks now.

Every time I launch the game, I go through SMAPI. It's the most recent version. Supposedly, upon launching and loading a save game, or creating a new save, a config file is born under that mod's folder. I've watched a video showing how to accomplish this, and despite following all directions, the video reveals the new file while my folders remain unchanged.

This could very well be an issue between the keyboard and the chair, of course. This is so strange to me that I'm willing to try just about anything.

• foghorn

foghorn Pangalactic Porcupine

^Did you look in

Users/YourNameHere/AppData/Roaming/Stardew Valley/Mods ?

• Jinxiewinxie

Jinxiewinxie Farmer Fashionista

Do you have the Steam version or the GoG version? Where are you installing your mods? Where is SMAPI installed?

• Kiakakash

Steam; I install mods in Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew Valley/Mods; SMAPI is installed in Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew Valley. As I said, I've been using SMAPI for weeks now and had no problems until I noticed this. The mods have run perfectly. Also I've never gotten them to work in the appdata/roaming location, but I believe that's because I play through Steam.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Is the Steam directory installed under Program Files? Because in that case, the files might simply not be there because you're not running SMAPI with admin permissions, and modifying the Program Files directory requires those.

• Kiakakash

It is under program files, ya. I'm pretty sure I have admin permissions since I'm the only user on the computer, however I will attempt this once I'm back at home (on my laptop currently).

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

There is a difference between administrator account and adminstrator permission, you know that "run this file?" prompt that blacks out the screen in vista and up? That is the "administrator permission" prompt, and stardew doesnt request administrator permission cause the game doesnt need it, moving your mods to the appdata for your user account should let configs generate though.

• Kiakakash

Thanks so much! Running it as administrator caused the files to be recreated in my appdata/roaming folder (or at least that's what I'm reading from the command prompt), and now there are config files! I can finally fix the other issue!

• CassiWolfe

CassiWolfe Void-Bound Voyager

How do I do that? I've been missing config files too, and i'm in the same spot Kiakakash was...