Tool SMAPI: Stardew Modding API

Discussion in 'Mods' started by ClxS, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skedone

skedone Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nice will double check after school run lol

• ClxS

ClxS Pangalactic Porcupine

This is a bit less true now. Mod compatibility broke from 0.36 to 0.37 because of me changing the format of all the events, but from now on updates will probably not break backwards compatibility unless I say they will. I'm trying to follow proper deprecation rules now so 0.38 will not break backwards compatibility because I'll be careful to keep it in, but I'll drop support for pre-0.38 mods in 0.39 if I get around to releasing it.

As for version updates, SMAPI will only break if a core thing it relies on changes. To make that less likely, I'm trying to only rely on things which have a pretty low chance of ever being changed.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
      • skedone

its going to be weird having two modding api tho aint it? not knocking just thinking would it not be easier to pool your resources like forge did and make a more powerful api

• ClxS

SMAPI will probably die once Storm is stable.
          I've got a few other projects I'm wanting to continue so I wont be staying on SMAPI for too long, just wanted to keep it alive until there's a stable alternative.

There's not much worry about competing. I only really do an hour after work on it. I'm certain I could get it to a good state but not as quickly as Storm will be able to get to that point which has a few contributors putting in a lot of time.

I mean, it's open license so people are free to do whatever they like with it. Someone else could continue working on it but I'd suggest they only post updates of it to the forum if it's improved to the point that it is better than the alternatives.

Glagroon and Acrimonia like this.
          • skedone

ahh that explains a lot good to know, cant wait to see what you have in the pipeline.

• Acrimonia

Acrimonia Subatomic Cosmonaut

Maybe I'll make a third, purpousely underpowered API because I'm a rebel and a loner.
              Everything'll be FORTRAN and to even prove yourself worthy to obtain a link to the download location, you'll have to answer obscure trivia about Stardew Valley.
              (This post was written when I've not slept for a day and a half, so forgive the dumb humour. I'm looking forward to seeing your work amongst the mods and other stuff, wherever you turn up!)

• ClxS

write(*,*) "Sewer Modders RULEZ!"

Acrimonia likes this.
                • Acrimonia

Acrimonia Subatomic Cosmonaut

read(*,*) TisTrue,Tis2True
                  (Thanks, made the morning a bit better.)

• CaptainAkin

CaptainAkin Intergalactic Tourist

Hey guys I'm pretty new to all this but I think I did everything right cause my "show item sell price" and "Cheats Menu" Mod worked fine but my problem is I have no sound at all. When I normally start the game through steam the sound works but you know I have no Api Mods with the normal version and I really want to play with those mods :D. When I start the game with the StardewModdingApi I get no sound... I already reinstalled the game and deleted everything from AppData/Roaming/StardewValley even my save file I tried compatibility mode, dpi and administration still not working. I started the StardewModdingApi without mods but still no sound I don't know it's pretty frustrating. (sorry for my bad grammar I'm from germany ^^)

ps. everytime I reinstall the game through steam there is always this CJBCheatsMenu file in my AppData/Roaming/StardewValley/Saves folder and I can't delete it, it always comes back when I start the game. Don't know if that has anything to do with that.

• ClxS

Hey there,
                      Does your sound work if you run the game without SMAPI and are you on 1.05? One of the reasons 1.05 was a bit late was it caused a few problems with some people's sounds. I'm not sure if it's fixed yet.

• CJB

CJB Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That is a config file used by CJBCheatsMenu mod. This file gets created everytime you use that mod. Has nothing to do with your sound issues. Also keep in mind that 1.0.5 made some changes to the audio system. And there were quiet some issues with it during beta phase. You might wanna report this issue directly at ChuckleFish.

• KaceyJones

KaceyJones Space Hobo

Does not work on Windows XP / .net 4.0. The game itself runs perfectly.

I've tried to use common method and patch the subsystem field of StardewModdingAPI.exe binary that allows it to run on NT 5.x, and it launched, but I've got this:

I've got a GOG version 1.04 (GOG 2.2.0.4).

• CJB

CJB Scruffy Nerf-Herder

SMAPI requires .Net Framework 4.5

• KaceyJones

KaceyJones Space Hobo

What a bummer. Could you at least try to compile it against .net 4.0? There's not that much of a difference between them from the programmer's point of view.

MrChow likes this.
                              • CaptainAkin

CaptainAkin Intergalactic Tourist

Hey thanks for the fast replies guys really appreciate it.

My Internet is suddenly down I'm typing with my phone at the moment but I can tell that my sound and everything works normally with the normal steam version and there was an update today or yesterday. I don't know if that was the 1.05 update but with the update everything still worked and no bugs at all. If I start the game with smapi everything is fine too and the mods work there is just no sound.

I forgot to say that I use Windows 10 and every driver is updated. When the Internet is up again I install net 5.0 when I haven't yet.

• ClxS

We'll be using increasing amounts of reflection stuff. The stuff we use right now didn't exist in 4.0 so we'd have to change a bit before retargetting.
                                  Is there any reason you can't install .NET 4.5?

• MrChow

MrChow Pangalactic Porcupine

It can't be installed onto XP. Microsoft has artificially blocked it from working on NT 5.x series.

Edit: You can, however, compile it with Mono, so the resulting code should work on XP.

• mdbell

mdbell Seal Broken

The main issue with SMAPI is that it directly exposes the game's core mechanics to the mod, making each mod dependent upon the specific game version it was written for/with.

• ClxS

Still, it depends on the mod itself. Very few if any mods needed to be updated for 1.05 and neither did SMAPI, because I'm guessing there wasn't that many changes to the public stuff people commonly use.
                                        The main issue with SMAPI is just that it'd really need to be started again to be like I want it. It'll be hard to keep backwards compatibility while adding the stuff which would've been best to do at the beginning... Like having a sensible design.

I'd be willing to bet that SMAPI as it currently is will be forwards compatible for many versions to come.

• CJB

CJB Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am not affraid of that as well, the changes to the game will be at minimum. Once the multiplayer version comes out it will be a different story, but the same counts for STORM as well.

Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.