Smelting and Forging with Obsidian

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by FoxDE2, Aug 7, 2018.

1. FoxDE2

FoxDE2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This video shows that it's possible to smelt and forge Obsidian, so I think it should be added to the game. Perhaps the character can make Obsidian Armor and Obsidian Swords, like in this video.

I also think they should add crafting schematics. Having everything up front is boring and people like to find rare schematics if World of Warcraft is proof of anything.

2. Masiakasaurus

Masiakasaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The video shows it is possible, but extremely difficult, and the end result is really only good for display as it's extremely fragile. Historically obsidian weapons were made of wood embedded with small shards. Macuahuiti were very effective though, so much so that native tribes dismissed metalworking as inferior.

But that's real life, this is a game. I'm all for adding new weapons and gear. It seems like in this case, though, it would work better as a new class of weapon for random loot rather than something players forge themselves. That would allow it to exist side-by-side with other swords at any tier of play. Avian cultists in the beta used macuahuiti, but never dropped them on death; still, the art assets for their weapons already exists.

Seems like this would be easy enough to mod in.

3. PseudoGold

PseudoGold Pangalactic Porcupine

I'd agree with Masiakasaurus, approaching this the macuahuitl way sounds better compared to a single obsidian blade.

Besides, obsidian is already in the game's assets, you just need to go to a planet's core in order to get it.

4. FoxDE2

FoxDE2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's what I meant. This video is about re-melting Obsidian. You'd consider the Obsidian you get near the planet's core the 'Ore", and then you melt it down and then you can use the melted Obsidian to craft stuff :)

I know in real life it isn't constructive, but as Masiakasaurus said, it's a game. It'd be fun to add and have something to do, and even more fun if you found schematics which gave you the ability to craft these as opposed to just unlocking it by getting Obsidian smelted.