1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

So I Just Beat Starbound...Now What?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mpclancy12, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radekplug10

radekplug10 Void-Bound Voyager

dwonlad frakin universe and frakin races and try to get set to able live and create colony shuphiric word they are hardest biom planets in the mod they have all types of radions,hots and chills if dont want mod or diskie try game on hardcore or try multi with firends on hardcore.

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

So you've beaten an infinite sandbox game? Main story ok that's a point but the whole game? No :nurukappa:
    Have visited all planets? (i suppose not >v<)
    Have you done all sidequests?
    Have you built a colony?
    Is your ship max tier?
    Do you have the best armor/weapon in the game?
    Is your MM fully upgraded?
    Do you have all blueprints?
    Have you scanned all objects?
    Do you posess all vehicles?
    Are all crafting stations fully upgraded?
    Do you have all codexes?
    Do you have all cosmetic items?
    Have you got all figurines?
    Have you destroyed the last boss on hardmode?
    Have you encountered every biome?
    Have you seen all challengerooms?
    Did you complete the arena?
    How about the museum?
    etc etc :nurunaughty:

~ Iris ~

TheFloranChef likes this.
  3. RealNowhereMan

RealNowhereMan Master Chief

Tell them to finish their god damn game. It's unfinished, they just dumped it on us.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2016
  4. Iris Blanche

You have a small story (there wasn't even a story in the beginning) about the destruction of earth and the cause of it. You have background for the races with the codexes. The rest is exploring and building and doing what you like. If sandbox games doesn't suit you maybe it's the wrong genre for you.
    What makes it unfinished anyways in your opinion?

~ Iris ~

5. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

Some of the content was removed for no reason. Why would they do it? Very likely because they are reworking it to be re-added to the game.

There is already a video of a Novakid settlement in Youtube, see this thread: Novakids fans may want to give the nightly assets different a look :3 .

I have no doubt that there is much more to come. I just hope it includes the best stuff taken out, like big monsters, mechs, variety...

Iris Blanche likes this.
  6. RealNowhereMan

There is nothing for NovaKids, the fucking $50,000 stretch goal. They gave us a re skin for $50,000. They have yet to optimize it, the $1,000,000 stretch goal is just some nice clutter for your ship. It does _nothing_ but hop around, for $1,000,000. Monster generation, while more detailed now has no variety, rather than unique monsters you get a couple pre-canned possibilities. Some reviews on steam still are labeled early access. Everything about it screams unfinished, they also got rid of Armour tiers. And again, Nova kids aren't anywhere. Don't get me wrong, I loved this game through development, but yeah, it's upsetting the way it turned out. This is the sad truth with early access.

7. Iris Blanche

As for novakids: take a look into the new nightly. As for the pet: well it's a pet what did you expect from it? ^^' As for the monster generation: This has to come from predefined parts. It would be an unnecessary load when monsterparts would be generated from nothing. Steam reviews marked as early access are still possible because they stay in this state when they were written in early access stage.
    As for the stretch goals in general: Novakids are in the game which was promised. A pet was promised and it's in the game. As far as i remember it was just about adding it to the game. There was nothing about special mechanics or anything else. I could understand you if you payed all alone to achieve these stretch goals but like i said: it was all about adding it to the game.

I can't see much about an unfinished game. Unfinished means for me: broken/unfinished progression, unfinished plot (when present), not all mechanics are working (or even missing). Starbound lacks content in some parts and of course some optimization but you can progress through the game and all mechanics are working which makes it for me "finished". Content is also present so everything that comes now will expand starbound. Everything that was removed will be revamped and re-added. Take ocean planets for example. As far as i remember they also were removed during early access and they brought them back because they didn't work properly in the beginning.

~ Iris ~

8. RealNowhereMan

I have to go right now, but some tests were done, and post 1.0 reviews were marked as early access, the window its self was also still labeled early access, I will read your stuff later.

9. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

@RealNowhereMan : Dude, take a chill pill.

Have you ever played Terraria?

When Terraria 1.0 came out, everybody thought it was the Bee's Knees, but even back then people thought the game was a bit short.

Fast-forward years later, and now we're on Terraria 1.3.2. There were 3 bosses, there are now 15. The game is nearly 10x as long, and has nearly 20x the content the 1.0 version had.

It's how games like this work. Starbound 1.0 is a somewhat bare-bones game, who knows what Starbound 1.3 will be. Who knows, maybe it will have 10x the content and you'll look back on how you're acting in this thread and you'll go "If only I had more patience, I wouldn't have said such things"...

10. Aurakiel

Aurakiel Space Spelunker

First, I'm not trying to jump down your throat with this reply, I just wanna make that clear. It's the Glitch in me that needs to express that I think :p

I wouldn't call 1.0 'bare bones.' In my opinion, it's already got more content than Terraria. The procedural generated universe alone does that. I love Terraria but it's a limited environment. There's so much you can do with Starbound right now that doesn't involve the main questline. Even with Terraria now the only quest system in play is the fishing quests. I could go on and on about the differences and recently it looks like Terraria is even trying to play catch up in some areas.

I'm gonna agree with you about people needing to have patience. If you're someone that *needs* a checklist of things to do here you go: http://starbounder.org/Achievements

11. Ripperjk

Ripperjk Phantasmal Quasar

Its a sandbox, you play in it. The storyline is just one little piece of the gameworld - go out, explore, loot, build, hunt fossils, just enjoy being in the world and interacting with it. That said, if you are the kind of gamer who prefers structured gameplay with guidance - then perhaps its just time to move on to something else. =)

Me personally, Ive brought 3 separate characters to endgame - build up 3 ships, painstakingly decorated all three - and am now working on covering the entire surface of one particular ocean world with my colony outpost.

I suppose the bottom line is this: if you enjoy exploring and like to let your creative juices flow - theres nearly and endless amount of things to do. If you just want to get the best gear and beat bosses - yeah, that ceiling isnt very high - but then thats not what Starbound is all about either.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Eh, I do not agree that Starbound has more "Content" than Terraria 1.3 does.

The "Universe" is a copy-paste randomized collection of planets (which have sub-biomes) which can have random dungeons, mini dungeons, and micro dungeons but they are all copy-pasted in random order.

Lush Planet A is pretty much the same thing as Lush Planet B. So out of the millions and millions of planets, you get maybe... 20-50 planet types and everything else is a copy of those base types.

What Terraria has is far more variety of weapons, armor, many MANY more bosses, the world changes as the game progresses (that whole biome spread mechanic, and of course the entry into Hardmode is jarring for some people who have never done it before), etc.

Now you could make an argument you have more variety of furniture and building blocks, I entirely agree with you there. But to say the copypasta planets are "more content"? Not really. I'm not saying this to insult SB, I'm just pointing out that I don't agree with the notion.

13. Aurakiel

Aurakiel Space Spelunker

I wont say I don't see where you're coming from. I've put a shameful amount of hours into both games. There's just always been something about Starbound that made it feel less like "I was done" after I checked off all the boxes. I think that even though Terraria does have more bosses the missions in Starbound make the boss encounters feel more..filling? I guess that's how to describe it. With Terraria it was always just farm the items, summon the thing, kill the thing, you're done.

As far as the copy/paste biome type and planets go I can agree with you...to a point but with Terraria it's even worse. Generate a new map, I may get 1 different biome that wasn't on a previous map, but the map is the same. At least with Starbound 'the same' comes in a more varied mix of 'the same.' Basically there's more biomes/planets so I'm not locked in to just forest/desert/corruption/crimson/beach/snow. I'm not counting background art as types of biomes. The hilly lookin' forests are still forests.

Are there really more weapons in Terraria? It doesnt' feel like it. Craftable weapons maybe but over all? Starbound did just added a ton of 'vanity' looking weapons too and all the main sets have 7 different variants.

I didn't mean to turn this into a Starbound vs Terraria thing (again I enjoy them both for different reasons). I do feel like Starbound offers more at 1.0 than Terraria ever did at launch and comes pretty close if not more, in content to current Terraria...save the bosses.

Ludovic likes this.
  14. RealNowhereMan

"As for novakids: take a look into the new nightly."
    Exactly, There is an entire race, as of 1.0, that are incomplete, they didn't finish them. And as for the pets, it's a $1,000,000 stretch goal, some how they needed $1,000,000 to add a feature. Novakids are unfinished, they promised a full game, and we got unpolished incomplete trash. I am not arguing that the game is necessarily bad, but it's unfinished. And in the main story, it is just revealed that she had the human thing all along, and that she was for some reason hiding it from you, so they can later add in a human stage. Because it's unfinished. Plus, the main quests are extremely repetitive. With the monster generation, I understand that they need to be procedurly generated, but they have default monsters now, that are standard, not randomized. Because of this, there is less variety. There was a time where you could go to 30 planets and not find the same monsters. The monsters were less detailed, but at least there was variety, which really made exploration at least something. Now you can go to three planets and see it all, they fucking blew this release so hard.

"Have you ever played Terraria?"
    One game being short, and then having more added on does not excuse a shit release for Starbound.

15. RealNowhereMan

Furthermore, arguing that a game will get there doesn't make any sense when my claim is that it's unfinished.

16. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

See, the thing is, a game that is constantly being updated will never be "Finished".

Is Terraria finished, 5 years after its 1.0 release? No. Because 1.3.3 is coming on its way, and when 1.3.3 comes out, 1.3.4 will be in development, yadda yadda.

Starbound is a "Finished" game in terms that it has a beginning, an end, and there isn't anything missing between the two. The game is a little short on content right now but it will not always be that way. More will be added in due time.

An "unfinished" game, is a game riddled with bugs, a game with obvious missing content, a game whose main storyline is not complete, a game with obvious missing things.

Starbound does not have these flaws. Yes, sure, it's a sandbox whose main story isn't that hard to get to the end of (like what, 10h?) but if we were to say all 10h games are "incomplete" then I guess a lot of Triple A games are the same way then, eh?

17. aka13

aka13 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, I bit the bullet and got the game as soon as 1.0 released. To be honest, its not really barebone. I can see how older players are angry about cut stuff, but I have to say, that not havign experienced previous versions I have played for 70h until I more or less experienced everything the game has to offer with one race. Its not that bad as you try to make it look, I have seen worse.

18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I also think it has something to do with burnout too.

I've done who-knows-how many playthroughs and I tend to just rush stuff because I know where everything's at and how to do it, and therefore, I get to Ruin in like 10-15h and I'm like "ho-hum" because I played the game at least 20+ times in previous versions.

Now, if I had waited until 1.0, I probably could have dumped a good 30h into my first playthrough, which is NOT bad for a 1.0 version of a game.

19. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

Do whatever! Colonize a barren planet! Build a massive farm building up to space and down to the bottom of the planet! Turn a big barren planet into a museum planet for your own private collection, with a trophy display, a geology exhibit and a zoo! Hunt down the rest of the Occasus cult! Build a laboratory and "study" stuff from the Ruin! Invite your buddies over for a game of Throwing Block Horseshoes! It's a sandbox game! The universe is your burrito!

20. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is the true endgame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.