So you can build Pam a house now...what about Linus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kess Usagi, May 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kess Usagi

Kess Usagi Space Hobo

Let me start by saying I love all the new stuff in 1.3 beta so there is one thing that makes me feels sad.
    I know it is nice to be able to build a house for Pam so she can move out of her trailer into a nicer home but did we all forget about Linus living in a tent. Why can't we build a tiny hut or cabin anything more than a tent for him. Possibly even get him his own kitchen.

Would anyone else build a house for Linus too?

• everfreefire

everfreefire Big Damn Hero

I am...Guessing you haven't seen the new scene he's in?

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

I was kind of upset by Pam's new house. It's probably the nicest interior layout in the game, but it still sits in the same grubby lot with tin cans and tires strewn all around.

• PTpirahna

PTpirahna Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Linus purposely chooses lives out in the tent, though.

Erick648 likes this.
          • ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Robin said she'd build a new house, not that she'd clean up the lot for them too. If Pam's had such a big change of heart, tell her to get her slovenly arse out to the yard and clean it.

TaleSpinnerGames likes this.
            • BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

I don't know if you've noticed, you can't tell Pam to do anything, anymore than you can tell Willy or Vincent to do anything. Fact is you can't even choose to do anything yourself that the game doesn't allow. I'd have picked the trash up in my first playthrough if it was possible. Limitations of the game certainly aren't Robin's fault either.

All I was saying is it's kind of a letdown. It was the dingiest corner of the town. Now there's a brand new house and it's still the dingiest corner of town.

• kidkid123

kidkid123 Phantasmal Quasar

would have been nice to build penny a house anywhere on the map-maybe the spa area:)...pam sits in her own trailer:)...and, i would have loved to hire linus on my farm to do stuff...also, would be great to put your spouse to work, even the kids:)..or turn the kids into something , like pets:))

• Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

Linus chooses to live like this. Some people don't have the urge to live in a nice house and it should be accepted.

I also don't like to build a house for Pam. It just covers up her alcoholism and gives it a pretty wrapping. The dirt around the house at least shows the reality a little bit. In the end it is just to sooth the fantasy world model we have in us. Everything nice and clean.

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

You can take the girl out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of the girl. :)

• TaleSpinnerGames

TaleSpinnerGames Industrial Terraformer

Oh I wish that had been an option in the cut scene!

• Venatio777

Venatio777 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I suppose that buying Pam a new house would be more in-keeping with your character if you married Penny.

But yah, I would like to buy Linus atleast a small wood cabin to put where his tent is.

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Along the lines of "ANYTHING to keep my mother-in-law from moving in. You want a half a million? Yea, sure, no problem. Here ya go. If that's what will keep Pam from wanting to move in with us, I consider it a trivial investment."

Borodin likes this.
                          • davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

I have my mother-in-law very close, and if I could ... I would move to another country with my wife, so that I invest in her, I invest in my family and we leave happy hahaha

On the subject of which is spoken, I ate a spoiler but it was intentional, it is a surprise that of the house of PAM, but after having the house is still full of shit ... could put the option to clean the town , every X time is filled with papers, bottles, tires, which in this town cars pass by daily, but you do not see them! xD

It would be one more task, keep the municipality clean in exchange for a clear gratification, the mayor pays you for your work! and so PAM could have a clean house on the outside, since it does not seem to want to clean it xD

And Linus U_U I no longer ask for a house, but at least one "deluxe tent" xD

• Jiok

Jiok Tentacle Wrangler

Linus explains, several times, that he lives outdoors by choice. He doesn't want to live in a house. He communes with the trees and such, does a lot of self introspection, etc. It actually saddens him that people don't understand his choices and way of life.

As for Pam, I understand not wanting to build her a house, but it's a nice gesture that might spur her in the right direction. And we don't know if there will be additional community improvements later, so maybe that'll tie up some loose ends.

• Clovis_Sangrail

Clovis_Sangrail Subatomic Cosmonaut

Kind of like Habitat for Humanity or Section 8 housing.

Is there any incentive to build Pam a hours?

I would if it meant I could then ply her with a couple of bottles of wine at the saloon, then take her back to that brand new house, where she could show how grateful she is.

Or if it boosted Penny's hearts by a goodly amount. (She does still live there, doesn't she?)

But other than that, it ain't going to happen.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
                                • superconsole

superconsole Queen of Chickens Chucklefish

I wish this was in-game dialogue :giggle:

• gummywyrms

gummywyrms Pangalactic Porcupine

What's with some people and wanting "incentive"? Or it being unrealistic? It's a game. Just be nice for the sake of being nice. Or for the sake of completion, if that's more what you're into.

As for it not being totally in character if you're not going for Penny, sure, but you also restored the Community Center for the sake of the community, technically. Sure, the stuff you unlock is great, but it's not like all of it was super necessary.

Also, as for the whole messy lot problem, it looks like it got changed. I built her house a day ago in-game, and the lot's clean now.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
                                      Jiok likes this.
                                    • Erick648

Erick648 Pangalactic Porcupine

Whether it's in-character or not depends on your character (the game itself doesn't really impose much personality on you beyond the fact that you hated office work and thought life in the country would be better). Given the game's themes of community, I could see this as totally in-character for many players. Heck, stuff like that isn't even unheard-of in small farming communities IRL---ever hear of a "barn-raising" (where the whole community gets together and builds a barn for someone)? And while it's true that in this case you're the only one paying for anything, well, that's just the standard video game trait where the protagonist(s) do all of the work (it may not be realistic, but it's practical for a video game).

gummywyrms likes this.
                                      • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I have to agree with those who point, not just to the cut scene, but to Linus' character as evidence that he has no interest in living in a house. Plus, there's quite a bit of evidence showing that he's got a secondary personality, very secure and intelligent, which comes out when he speaks to the Wizard. Exactly what Linus is in terms of his responsibilities, no one can say for sure, but his persona as a homeless, moderately witless type is just a front.

Erick648 likes this.
                                        • BuildingBridges

BuildingBridges Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I agree with the others who said that Linus likes to live in a tent. I wouldn't want to force him into a house when its clearly somewhere he doesn't want to live.

I would, however, love to offer Linus a small plot to put his tent on the farm. He says people have thrown rocks at his tent, I figured offering him some protection in the form of "gotta get through me, the lovely kind new farmer, in order to be mean to this old man" would be a good compromise between his and my ideals.

Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.