Sober Shane

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Susiron, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Susiron

Susiron Void-Bound Voyager

Hey there! I just wanted to swing by the forums to post a small suggestion.

My sister and I both love Stardew Valley. We each grew up with Harvest Moon, and Stardew Valley has served as a wonderful game for us each to enjoy personally, and also to bond over as a similar point of interest. My sister in particular has logged an insane amount of hours in Stardew— both on PC and Switch— and she was over the moon when I purchased it on the Switch myself.

My sister struggles with anxiety and for a long time she used alcohol as a coping mechanism. She has now been completely sober for a few months and I couldn’t be more proud of her.

I bring this up because my sister truly connected with Shane’s character and his recovery. He was one of her favorite characters, and no doubt wanted to romance him. But my sister then learned that one of the items that Shane puts in your house after marriage is a keg (and he gives you beer sometimes too I believe?) which doesn’t sit well with her as a recovering alchoholic herself. She now can’t bring herself to marry Shane on any of her files, and I know it’s eating her up inside to avoid a character she connected with so strongly.

I know that alchoholism is a complicated issue and that learning moderation is a success in its own right, but I really just wanted to suggest maybe removing alcoholic imagery associated with Shane following his recovery? Perhaps even turn beer into an item that he’d hate to receive as a gift because it goes against his progress? Perhaps give him more items inside the house that are related to chickens instead?

I just wanted to drop this suggestion here. I know that its a small detail, but it’s something my sister would greatly appreciate, and I can imagine other recovering/addicts might as well.

nekoCrimson likes this.
    • Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

i agree, since (spoiler coming up) Shane changed after a certain heart event, and stopped drinking beer
      a blue chicken in the spouse room would be actually fun, not only to get rid of beer from his life, but also because i love the blue chicken concept :)

• Madeliene Madness

Madeliene Madness Space Spelunker

WilliamZ likes this.
      • nekoCrimson

nekoCrimson Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think dynamic interests (gifts) would be a great concept if this ever gets implemented. Shane's would be the most obvious.

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

problem is, not everyone can use mods, and many mods cannot work together if people could
          and if we always reply with mods, we'd have to count on mods to be made, and always work with any other

nekoCrimson likes this.
          • WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

Ingame lore says that Shane stoped to drink beer after his 8 heart event, I think that's was just a limitation for CA at the time that he made the game for not be able to change their favorable gifts and dialogues.

I also thinks that Shane should wear something different if you restored the community center and closed Joja (he is wearing a Joja jacket).

You can treat the kegs and winery that you make ingame as alcohol free products, as inside the game isn't written anything indicating that.

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

fair point, maybe it'll be more advanced in the future, and CA can check out these suggestions :)

that's 1 solution your sis can use for now, Susiron
              nice thinking, WilliamZ