NPC Soldier NPCs

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Keeper, Nov 2, 2012.

1. During a goblin raid or zombie apocalypse in Terraria, I always felt that it would be really interesting if the player were to have NPCs on his/her side willing to fight back, such as guards, both with melee and ranged weapons.

Seeing Starbound under development has made me think that this concept could be applied here instead, the ability to hire Soldiers, who would carry ranged weapons, and give them three simple commands:

- Stay Here (The unit would stay around that area, walking a bit back and forth within a short distance, attacking enemies that came within range)
    - Follow Me (The unit would follow the player, attacking enemies that came within range)
    - Return to Base or Spacecraft

The player would have to construct barracks in order for the soldiers to spawn. Barracks would have a few requirements, such as a couple of beds, armory, etc.
    *EDIT: I had initially written that the soldiers should spawn in Barracks, but I'm not a big fan of that idea anymore. It'd be much more interesting if you could hire them from friendly villages and towns instead.

There could be around three soldiers max, I believe (though the more, the better :rainbow:) If a soldier perished in combat, he/she could be brought back to the base to be healed, similarly to companions - or - a new one would have to be hired.

Regarding phrases, the soldiers would say short ones when given orders to, such as "Will do" and "No problem".

This could be taken one step further if the player could bring his/her soldiers to an armory, equip them as he/she sees fit and perhaps train them in order to increase their skills. Killing hostile enemies would also grant "experience" upon the soldiers.

---

This is a concept I'd really like to see in-game. I like the idea of survival, having to find resources, building a small camp, etc., but then I like to take it one step further and make a larger base, with more defenders other than me. :p

If you'd like to vote for this suggestion, you may do so here --> http://playstarbound.com/suggestions/?p=view&id=3937

2. Giving this a bump. :)

3. Zain Hallows

Zain Hallows Existential Complex

would be really cool! I personaly think it would be a cool idea to be able to make a city and have an army :D

Dragrath and Keeper like this.
  4. final5252

final5252 Space Spelunker

yes a npc soldier that can be hired for few gold and respect for example: lvl 1 soldier npc requires a 100 gold and 200 respect. respect can be earn by hiring soldiers and not getting them killed in hour(which is thier hire time limit) stronger soldiers can be hired with tons of respect with an AI of a pro player :D

5. Dragrath

Dragrath Phantasmal Quasar

only for an hour that's not much... as for their equipment you should provide that and maybe to speed up crafting we could industrialize a bit...

6. Zain Hallows

Zain Hallows Existential Complex

as a continuation, I also think it would be cool if you were playing smp, and you and your buddy built two citys, and suppose one buddy angered the other, they could both have like...armys...and GO INTO WARRR...maybe even nukes and missiles :D!

7. Ferru

Ferru Void-Bound Voyager

Fully support this idea. It'd be great to not only have some form of active defence, but to customise it and expand with it to ensure base security. Other games such as terraria or minecraft ( just two sandboxy types I assume people can relate to) always left me wanting more in terms of defence. Pets are nice for personal security, but the introduction of mobile or perhaps more substantial stationary defence could really assist in the up-coming difficult worlds.

Plus with a bit of added depth it is quite possible to create a structure such as a guard post to provide a long range defence via a sniper/spotter. Frankly there is a great deal of potential with it, combined with the wiring aspects we've seen using technology based defences could create a form of panic button which activates a variety of attached turrets or traps. Ahh my mind is running wild with the concept of building a large fortress around my base. :D

Ohh, and being able to create some form of theme would be a nice touch, uniform soldiers or even just a small logo across the tech.

Keeper likes this.
  8. Totally support this.

Wonder if it'll expand to fit other classes as well, such as builders or engineers... it would definitely be awesome to have your slave army construct forward bases as you make a campaign across the plains of a planet.

Keeper and Ferru like this.
  9. Ferru

Ferru Void-Bound Voyager

Hopefully by request, it'd be annoying to see them start construction on newly adjusted land for a project or something.

nababoo likes this.
  10. Which is why you must carefully deploy them on the enemy bases and overrun them by choking out their food supply -- replacing farms with monuments. :DD

11. Thanks for the support. ^^

I had initially written that the soldiers should spawn in Barracks, but I'm not a big fan of that idea anymore. It'd be much more interesting if you could hire them from friendly villages and towns instead. :rofl:

nababoo likes this.
  12. Both are kinda interesting -- mercenaries and clone-slaves.

Keeper likes this.
  13. Bolt

Bolt Cosmic Narwhal

Ninja NPC's?
    Rat NPC's?
    KITTY NPC'S?!?

Nice idea.

BrutorDragon likes this.
  14. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

DRAGON NPCS!

Bolt likes this.
  15. Bolt

Bolt Cosmic Narwhal

I don't know how I forgot this... Shame on me...

BrutorDragon likes this.
  16. Necromancer

Necromancer Void-Bound Voyager

Really love the idea of having some NPC backup.

Keeper likes this.
  17. enemarius86

enemarius86 Cosmic Narwhal

18. Keeper likes this.
  19. TheQuento

TheQuento Orbital Explorer

Make armies to help invade and capture planets

Keeper likes this.
  20. Should also be able to put guards to defend your base, on top of towers, etc. ^^

With the many references to the outcast groups of each species, lore-wise, players can easily have a squad/group/army/platoon/gang composed by any race they please.