1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Some proposed changes to Lost Doll

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Reciful, May 22, 2013.

1. Reciful

Reciful Orbital Explorer

I'm going to go ahead and say it: Lost Doll is - by far - probably one of, if not the worst use item in the game, down there with Pillaged Gold and the Explorer's Key. The utility provided by things such as Unstable Watch or Jar of Souls or any of the other use items completely obsolete it, and the risk of using the Lost Doll GREATLY outweighs the reward. So, here are a few changes that I think, if any one (or multiple) of them were implemented, would improve the item greatly.

-Instead of having it deal 500% of your maximum health in damage, have it actually do what it says and instakill non-boss mobs.
    -If it doesn't already, make it target the highest health enemy (that it will kill, besides bosses), or elites, or have it target the nearest enemy. Or maybe it could prioritize bosses, though that might be a little too strong. I'd like a way for the player to choose the Lost Doll's target as opposed to it being randomly chosen, if there isn't a way already.
    -Lower the cooldown. As it is right now, 25% health is easily regained in the time that it takes for it to go off cooldown, due to the numerous healing items in the game right now. Better yet, have the cooldown reset upon kill, so as to give the player a choice, "Do I want to risk dying in order to get rid of that teleporting snow golem, or do I try and fight the golem without it?" Lowering it allows the player to choose whether they want to take that extra risk to kill another mob.
    -Try lowering the damage and having it deal damage in an area around the chosen mob.
    -If it isn't already, change the health cost to 25% of current health instead of 25% of maximum health.
    -Have it grant some benefit to the player upon killing a mob with it, such as bonus health. This fits with the item's lore in that you could think of the Lost Doll feeding upon the death of the mob you just killed.

Like I said, I don't mean that all of these should be implemented; I'd just REALLY like the Lost Doll to be a more viable use item, and even one or two of these would make it much better. Hell, with the new gold-resetting-upon-level-completion idea, I'd even take Explorer's Key or Pillaged Gold over it.

Edit: Also, forgive me if some of these are actually in the game; I've only held the Lost Doll for a total of ~20 minutes across all my runs as I tend to avoid it like the plague.

• Ifrit

Ifrit Starship Captain

I like the idea of the cooldown being reset upon killing something, it means you could just spam it and kill lots of things... and yourself.
      Will make it an interesting item if used well :3

• Burby

Burby Phantasmal Quasar

I remember that back in the alpha when the game was so unbalanced, the lost doll was probably the best thing you could get, haha. It's funny how some rebalancing can change that majorly.

• Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Void-Bound Voyager

I'd like to see the Lost Doll with these properties:
          -Use 50% of current hp
          -Damage bosses 600% of maximum hp
          -Instakill normal mobs
          -Target the strongest mob nearby or the mob with the highest current health nearby.

• Reciful

Reciful Orbital Explorer

Oh man, I can't even begin to fathom how many times I'd kill myself with this.

• Rawrquaza

Rawrquaza Existential Complex

I really like the idea of it having a reduced cooldown or even none at all, giving a choice between health and dead mobs. Otherwise I generally like the other proposed changes.

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

The area-of-effect suggestion would be very useful later on in the game, as killing one elite or high-health mob in a crowd of 25 won't help you much, but killing one and damaging nearby others would be something to risk some health for. It's basically what you do when you dive into the crowd as any of the melee characters anyway.