1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Some Starbound suggestions.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Coffee head 203, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Coffee head 203

Coffee head 203 Void-Bound Voyager

Starbound ideas

Developed by Coffee Head 203 and Coffee Dragon 16

· MMO servers

To improve the game in my opinion and my associates, we agree that there should be MMO features implemented. This would significantly increase the games lifespan and would lead to increased sales as the current single player and multiplayer features would be left intact but a server or two would be dedicated to having 1000+ players with special features. These features are going to be under following bullets. While my associate and I believe that it would be wise to follow some of these basic ideas that are listed. For some information about why we are even doing this we currently find the game lacking in only one aspect, combat, Player versus player would definitely make the combat better.

· Player-made factions

If these aforementioned MMO features were included we both think that to make it more personal a player should be able to create a faction say through the Chucklefish website. With these it would add features, to also make each faction unique during the process of creation the leader would make a symbol to represent the faction.

· Story integration

Almost no story features would make it in, to explain this I think that the MMO version would take place before with all the homeworlds still intact. In this subject my associate and I disagree, at the end I will include his thought on main faction integration. My thoughts though are that on the homeworlds NPC’s would run the planets and would have one world non-joinable factions for the base factions like the Protectorates, the Miniknog or the Kluex.

· Raiding

This area is extra but I feel that it would make the game so much more fun. What I think is it would have faction based elements and colony elements. For this we think that there should be a raiding party that can be made between players. For this the leader of the operation invites friends or other faction members to a group of ships. Then they go to a player made colony and invade. For this they have to kill everyone there and then they inherit their materials and buildings. For this all colonies have to made of players, the only NPCs being guards and pets. The losing party (Defenders and Raiders) Would not be able to return to the planet for 24 real hours. They would also lose all of their materials not in their houses. If the raiders are all in 1 faction then every citizen would get a pop-up to either join the faction and keep their house or stay out of the invading faction and lose all their guns equipped guns and armor then be beamed to their ship. If the defenders kill all the raiders then the raiders lose all the weapons in their inventory and can’t interact with the planet for 24 hours.

· Faction controlled systems

If a faction plants their flag with their emblem on it on every planet in a system the system will have their emblem on it and every planet within until a flag is destroyed or challenged by another flag. Controlling systems means you get pixel income for controlling it and you must have one colony meaning it can make it easier for raiders to find you.

· The outpost

The outpost would be the only place besides the homeworlds that is peaceful and does not allow attacking. For every faction with 1000+ members it would display their emblem on a banner on a wall. It would also give a link to send a join invite to the leader.

My associates differing ideas.

For the rest of the paper my associate will be writing instead of myself with his ideas that we did not both agree on. For the next paragraphs these are all his ideas.

· Faction Buffs

All factions will have a list of buffs that are fairly balanced such as being better at defending/attacking certain planets, better at killing certain types of pets, or certain buffs during defending/raiding.

· Colony Terminals

Colony terminals are terminals that keep track of walls, colonists, guard pets, buildings, raid history, and a message board. These are crafted with a durasteel console, a Faction Flag and 1000 pixels. On top of it, there is the flag of the faction.

· Walls

Walls are well, walls. They are about 16 blocks high and are crafted in the Colony Terminal. They are designed to be too high/ have defenses and keep intruders out. They should be un matter manipulator-able. Also, a same-tiered set of platforms will be on the colony-facing side. There will be these tiers: Wood, Iron, Durasteel, and Aegisalt. These can be placed in a certain distance from the outermost building in a colony. These upgrades are: Turret, Camera, and Flashlight. The turret is a match of the turret crafted at the wiring station, minus being matter manipulator breakable. There is the camera, which sends a chat message to the person who built the camera if somebody passes in front of it. However, if it is dark, they will be ignored. Flashlight is a flashlight placed on the camera that just shines a beam of light wherever the camera is facing.

· Colonist menu

This is clicked upon from the Colonist Console. This is a near-match to the crew member screen in sail. It shows names, occupation (If merchant or guard and which kind/tier), and mood.

· Guard Pets

You can register captured pets to guard colonists and defend in case of a raid. In it’s menu there will be a menu where you can put in and take out pets. Pets will also heal when not in combat. Here, you can also check their stats.

· Building menu

This is just a menu showing the layout and owners of buildings. Simple enough.

· Raid History

Shows who raided in the past, what they destroyed, and what faction.

· Message board

Any player can come up to the console and leave messages for others to see. Pretty much like chat.

tl:dr: MMO and some MMO colony stuff

2. pop-yotheweird

pop-yotheweird Ketchup Robot

I... don't think this is meant to be a typical MMO game with raids and factions and stuff. online multiplayer doesn't automatically mean MMO-a-go-go.

3. IvoryOwl

IvoryOwl Pangalactic Porcupine

SB ins't an MMO... its a single-player game with multiplayer servers on the side, like ARK or Rust. That being said I wouldn't mind factions, faction-controlled territory and quests... though I guess multiplayer already allows this through role-playing.

Shadow Wolf TJC likes this.
  4. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

There's a subforum for suggestions as well.

5. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

Sadly, I believe that Chucklefish is just too small of a developer to be able to afford to run an MMO service. Larger developers like Blizzard and Square Enix are able to run an online MMO service just fine because they have the resources and funding to do so. As an indie developer, I doubt that Chucklefish could do the same.

6. BreakingForce

BreakingForce Big Damn Hero

what Shadow said. an mmo takes a ton of work. not only to build, but to maintain. CFG is a small team (like 16 people, including office staff, business, marketing, etc). to make sb into an mmo, they'd have to change/add so much code it'd be in beta for another 2-4 years heh. plus, then they have to pay for servers and bandwidth (because there's no way you're going to host 1000+ people on a normal home internet connection/average gaming pc). and, since it's their servers, they'd have to moderate what goes on on them (for liability and harassment issues), which would mean hiring full time staff to cover that. and to cover the costs of these things, they'd have to either charge a sub fee or institute an ingame cash shop or something. because it's not free. also, they'd probably have to disable some functionality of SB, since you don't want mods when you have a cash shop....and you also don't want players going around and indiscriminately destroying each other's constructions for fun and profit.

in short: no. enjoy the game for what it is. and what it is is not and will never be an mmo.