Someone should make an Harvest Moon Mod/Remake

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lukas1337pwn, May 24, 2016.

1. Lukas1337pwn

Lukas1337pwn Void-Bound Voyager

Remember the good ol' Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Towns days? I sure do.

Imagine someone making a complete remake mod of a Harvest Moon Game. I'd love to see that, play it and let the nostalgia take me over, lol.

I don't mean simply a overhauled map for example, nah. I mean pretty much everything, characters included.

This must be alot of work, I know. But I think the mod would become quite popular.

Is there already something like this in development?

Which HV Game would you like to see as an mod for SV? Personally for me, it would be either Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town or Harvest Moon DS.

Have a nice day, and good selling crops! :p

• Aemi

Aemi Starship Captain

FoMT was, by far, the most beloved HM game ever released. Yes several others may have been overall better, but none really stuck with us quite like that one did. <3

• NikkSword

NikkSword Pangalactic Porcupine

I would imagine someone will make a mod of this soon. I agree, Friends of Mineral Town was the best Harvest Moon game

• Aemi

Aemi Starship Captain

The only issue though is that this would be less of a mod and more of a call for someone to code a totally new game. The whole map would need to be redone, all the sprites would need to be redone, all the dialogue and UI.... at that point theres really not much left of the original game. Its all a totally new game!

• cankersaur

cankersaur Pangalactic Porcupine

They could call it Harvest Moon: Ship of Theseus!

Indigo Rose likes this.
            • Aemi

Aemi Starship Captain

id buy that.

• Bubblebeam

Bubblebeam Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah that's not just a mod, that'd be a complete remake. But I would love to see it too. I don't believe I ever played FoMT but I *loved* Back to Nature (I think that is CAs favourite too) and Tree of Tranquility. Those were the days.

Lukas1337pwn likes this.
                • Lukas1337pwn

Lukas1337pwn Void-Bound Voyager

I did play Back to Nature too. Oh boy, such a great game!

Back to Nature and Friends of Mineral Town are basically the same game, just that Friends of Mineral Town was for the GameBoy Advance.

@Aemi

Sure, It would take alot of work. The map would need to be redone, same for the characters.

BUT! The menus, crops and animals, I think some could remain the same as in SV. The pricing for the crops and animal products, could be adjusted to the HV Friends of Mineral Town stats tho.

I think, if some things from SV and the legendary HV: Friends of Mineral Town get crossed, it would make a totally insane new "Harvest Moon; Friends of Mineral Town Remake" Game.

Music, ofc would be the HV one.

So alot would have to be made, but some things from SV could remain for sure.

• digitalpotato

digitalpotato Space Hobo

Heh, wonder what happens when someone makes a fanmade sequel of Stardew valley, where your child from SV decides to visit a nearby town, Mineral town that is :p idk my imagination took over me

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Not to rain on anybody's parade--which I don't like doing--but there are copyright issues. And not just a matter of reusing a title: if it can be proven that an app or game "copycats" the functionality, appearance, GUI, etc, of something else, then Lucy, you got some 'splaining to do. In court.

I am wholly sympathetic to such ideas, mind, but companies have repeatedly killed attempts to do this in the past. I can think offhand of three different fan-made knockoffs of the 1992 RPG hit, Darklands that were in development, when Atari shut them all down.

On the other hand, consider that the popularity of SDV might encourage PC remakes of the HM titles by those currently holding their rights, or leasing those rights to others. The possibility's out there.

• ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

True, but I've already seen other mods straight up called Harvest Moon (whatever it is), that copies parts of HM.

Harvest Moon is on PC and everyone is tearing it to bits. SoS probably won't, at least not unless the Japanese farm sim players show interest, since it's more about trends in Japan and we just happen to be lucky enough to get it. We're not the target audience from everything I've seen.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

From what I've been given to understand, the developer of the PC-based HM isn't the one who did most of the original series. Whether its reception would frighten off someone else or be an incentive to do it right (not as a port) remains to be seen. I'm hoping for the latter, but you never know.

I agree that we're just lucky some Japanese games are made for the PC, and scripted in English. KOEI in particular has had an erratic relationship with the US, releasing (among other things) a few historically-themed strategy titles in a couple of series, in English on the PC, and then dropping out for 5 or 6 more, before suddenly deciding to try again.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
                          • ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

I mean yes and no, a lot of people seem to think they had nothing to do with it which isn't true and others seems to think XSeed is the ones who do which they're the localizer like Natsume was. Technically Marvelous bought the series from another company entirely so they weren't even the ones who made them to begin with. It a complicated can o'worms tbh. I'm not gonna say it's perfect, and I'm not gonna say people have to like them, but from day 1 of Natsume making games people have been spreading rumors and deciding to hate the games just because Natsume made them. Huge mess.

It's hard to say what Marvelous will or won't do though. I'm not sure about trends in Japan and Marvelous have a few other titles out in the US but same that we don't get too. Apparently they also made at least two Senran Kagura games and we only got the second. A couple dropped online HM games too I believe, not sure if that has anything to do with how they see computer gaming or just that sort. They just dropped at least one of them with no word iirc so I'm a genuinely curious.