Modding Help Sound replacing

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by turok400, Feb 3, 2015.

1. turok400

turok400 Void-Bound Voyager

hey im kinda new to modding.. well like new as heck. i was

wondering if some one could tell how to replace sound files like weapon sounds and stuff

2. Olxinos

Olxinos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes, either look for them in /sfx (in the unpacked assets) then create a mod with a sfx folder containing your audio file with the same name, or patch the file where the sound is references.
    The first method will replace the sound for everything (if there were 42 weapons using that sound, they will all use your new sound).
    The second will only replace the sound of a specific sword, and only the newly crafted ones (and is usually seen as cleaner, since the first one may also affect other mods trying to use the sound you replaced, or because you can also replace something you didn't wanted to).
    Here are two examples, the first one will replace the sound of all the shortswords (and maybe more) even those already created, the second will only replace the sound of the tier1 human shortsword ("regular shortsword") and only the newly created ones.
    Don't install both at the same time.

Attached Files:

3. turok400

So. to replace a single sound i would single out the one file or? because i want to replace rpg sound effects

4. Olxinos

Yes, that's it. What are "rpg" sound effects?

5. turok400

Rocket launcher

6. Olxinos

Then you should patch /items/guns/randomgenerated/commonrocketlauncher.generatedgun, /items/guns/randomgenerated/uncommonrocketlauncher.generatedgun, /items/guns/randomgenerated/rarerocketlauncher.generatedgun and /items/guns/randomgenerated/legendaryrocketlauncher.generatedgun (or replace sfx/gun/rocket_shot.wav)

7. turok400

but how do i do that?

8. Olxinos

Ah, yes, sorry, you should look at my example (sound2) and this tutorial, this can also come in handy.

9. turok400

Im still so confused.. is there anyway you could replace Rocket launcher files for me? and i just attach the sfx i wana replace?

10. Olxinos

Here you go, just replace the sound file in sfx/gun/

Attached Files:

11. turok400

So i replace the sfx file.. and i put it in my mod folder and its the same? plain old boring sound... did i do something wrong?.... I am super stupid

12. Olxinos

Did you use a previously created rocket launcher? As i said, it will only work with newly created ones (you can spawn one with "/spawngun 1 commonrocketlauncher" you may also have to use "/admin" beforehand and afterwards)

13. turok400

Okay i did that it makes a phone dial noise... and im assuming the 1 in spawngun 1 means Tear 1?

14. Olxinos

It means level 1, but you can think of it as tier1 if you want (since tier x weapons are level x)
    The phone dial noise means that the sound file could not have been found, did you name your file "315349_rocket_sound.wav"?

15. turok400

Yea still does it

16. Olxinos

Then, maybe the file wasn't a proper wav file, was it a mp3, ogg or anything else?

17. turok400

Okay i check the file... was not a proper .Wav .

convertedit to a wav and its now working :p

Thanks for you help :p[DOUBLEPOST=1423053680][/DOUBLEPOST]Now to replace the rocketblast SFX but ill do that on a later date

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  18. Cnunyas

Cnunyas Space Hobo

Hey any way i can get all the music and sound effect files? i want to make a Front Mission First themed sound replacement.