Modding Discussion Sprite Preview

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Argonwolf, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Argonwolf

Argonwolf Void-Bound Voyager

spriteSample.png
    So I recently got it into my head that I may want to create a little mod for Starbound. My rationale is simple: when magic-type weapons were reworked to be randomly generated, they became, to put it politely, lame-o-balls. Obviously I can see that a company looking to push their 1.0 version is rushed to create new content, but I also realize that I don't have such a time constraint.

Therefore, I will use my limited prior modding experience to take a stab at a relatively sizable magic mod that adds loads of craftable magicky items. Current focus has fallen on bringing an obscene variety of staffs to the table to mix up the predictable in-game generated ones. Though I want to make other things in the future, this will be the direction I take for now.

Each row is a loose category of similar staves. I don't intend to make loads of objects that randomly generate from a handful of reusable components or simple recoloring, but instead to draw every single object (including animations and projectiles) by hand. This is the product of about two hours of work, but that includes coming up with the idea for each design as well as the actual drawing.

Let me know what you think! I'm sure to post more sprites as I create them, even if my lofty goals for the mod are never reached.

Inf_Wolf14 likes this.
  2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

They are quite good sprites. I do recommend seeing about including a 4th shade of color instead of 3, since Starbound uses 4 shades per color for most everything

3. Argonwolf

Argonwolf Void-Bound Voyager

I appreciate the feedback, however with the number of sprites I have to paint... deviating from my simplistic style is likely out of the question, though I intend to go back through them and add cel-shading, reflections and other details I missed in my first pass. But yeah, if I go through with this mod I intend for there to be at least 1000 items in total (that's not a typo, I know I'm crazy).

Also, for what it's worth, I'm aiming for the mod to have a slightly silly feel to it, with weird magical doodads to do almost anything.