Modding Help Spriting custom Monsters

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Sepiola, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Sepiola

Sepiola Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This may be an odd help request, but I tried my hands on pixel art and sprite work, loved doing it and now I want to add my own (not randomly generated) monsters to planets in order to fight and catch them.
    I already managed to add my own pets to the game (with a dirty trick by adding them to a different mod in my personal mod folder, since I found no way to make it compatible to that mod in any other way), but after looking into the monster folder, I feel a little overwhelmed.
    Since I like to take one step at a time, I'd like to finish the sprite sheets before puzzling myself further by looking into the coding.
    But for that I need to know which animations are necessary in the end and I have no experience with that.
    As far as I can tell from the pictures I found in the folders, unique monsters need an animation for
    • walking/flying
    • attacking
    • getting damage
    Am I missing something? Should I add animations for jumping? Death? Swimming? The moment they notice the player? (Is there even an easy way to script an animation for that?)

Thanks for reading so far! :)

Edit: Oh, and I'll gladly take any other tips you might have on that topic in advance! If you ran into some problems when adding monsters, that would have been best to be known before starting, I'd like to learn from your mistakes before repeating them. :V

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  2. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What you found in the folders is exactly correct. You're best bet is to mirror the default monsters.

3. Ultimate sandvich

Ultimate sandvich Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As far as I remember you'll need animations for wandering, running (I think, take a look at the poptop for that), attacking (depends what attacks and how many you use), getting hurt and jumping. Death is the same for getting hurt, and the moment they notice the player is the little hop, which is a script I think. But you can make a custom animation for when they notice you I think, would be something nice

4. Sepiola

Sepiola Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you both for your answers. ^^
    I'll see if I can find a basic monster that doesn't have too fancy/weird/unique behaviour and create a template based on that and your suggestions. I hope I'll be able to make all monsters on one universal templates, like you can do with the ship pets template.