1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Squids in Space: A Splatoon Mod V3.1 ~ Hotfixes ii

A species mod based off of Nintendo's Splatoon.

1. Alpha_StevO

Alpha_StevO Phantasmal Quasar

Since you folk are mentionin' a customer teleporter, why not use the teleporters used in-game?

[​IMG]
    One can hand-wave the needing-to-turn-into-a-squid aspect of it by saying that they managed to install actual teleportation devices onto these old things, but kept it 'cuz 'retro is cool.'

2. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

@Coricus hit the nail on the head, actually-- I intend to have a turf war spawn-point as the custom teleporter.
    I'll probably have a purple&black one for the ship teleporter, to go with the general color scheme that I've attributed to the race, and I might put ones of more common colors at the Teleporter Shop. Or they might be craftable. I'm not awful sure yet.

The image in @Alpha_StevO 's post is a kettle/kettle entrance, which is used by the Octarian race as entry points to their subterranean buildings. I might also make that into a custom teleporter as well, now that the idea came up! It'd probably be craftable or buyable, but probably not the ship's default teleporter. I like including Octoling stuff in this mod the best I can, because I really like them and they're super significant to Inkling society, politics and lore.

(And yeah, there's definitely a "retro is cool" thing going on-- that's what I intended to try and capture with the flag design that I'm testing now.
    A bit of old, a bit of new, it all works out, just as long as you make it look cool.)

(Also it makes me super happy to hear praise for this mod and my work??? Thank you so much? I sometimes feel like I'm not doing enough / could be doing more, but it makes my day to know that others enjoy this as much as I do!)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Coricus likes this.
  3. Marinebeast

how do animate??

[​IMG]

Apparently I've completely forgotten!!
    .... It's pretty funny though.

Coricus likes this.
  4. Thanatosan

Thanatosan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What if i tell you THIS!:

(Sorry if is wrong post external links)

5. Marinebeast

I already caught that, actually. ;o My friends and I streamed it together!

I won't be releasing new gear / weapons from Splat2 just yet, I'll wait for the game to come out first so I can fully understand what I'm working with. I'm definitely hella excited, though.

J E T P A C K S

6. Marinebeast

Marinebeast updated Squids in Space: A Splatoon Mod with a new update entry:

V1.1.0 Initial Beta: Well, that took awhile.

Read the rest of this update entry...

7. Marinebeast

8. Coricus

Coricus Subatomic Cosmonaut

Just jumping into my ship for a start, and it seems the teleporter's being a bit finicky with where it decided to put itself.

[​IMG]

Perhaps it's another one of those items that has a very specific pixel requirement, but it seems to have crawled into the doorway.

Anyway, I saw someone on Steam mention a conflict issue with Frackin' Universe's mission and it's actually fine. It's because you changed the contents of the ship locker that the item isn't spawning in, but it can also be crafted very easily so it's not a problem and I was able to obtain the item, go into the area, and find and accept a mission without issue. If you want to avoid a conflict you can always remove your custom item set assigned to the ship locker, but it's still perfectly doable either way since again, the relevant item can also be crafted from the basic crafting menu, for a single Pixel no less.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  9. Marinebeast

it's aliiiiiiive

But. Uh. That's not supposed to be behaving like that.. actually, I think that's the wrong teleporter. Oops.
    It looks like you ended up with the "normal" purple teleporter instead of the ship one!

The ship one /should/ have a proper placement and more of a "background part" to it as well.

The thing is, I double-checked the shipKey just now, and it's using the proper Inkling Ship Teleporter. Are you using anything that modifies your ship, like an alternate ship mod, or something? I might swap item names around to make the ship one just be "inklingteleporter" to avoid issues like that.

+ also that's really awesome that there's not any explicit conflicts. I really like having the custom ship-locker contents, it adds a bit to the immersion, I feel, so I'm glad there's an in-mod workaround for that problem.

Coricus likes this.
  10. Coricus

Uh. . .I'll check my mod loadout to see if there's anything that would conflict. I didn't THINK I had any ship mods, but I'll check my list of mods.

Let's see. . . I have the following:

Job Offers Compatibility Patch: Create-A-Friend
    Everfrogg
    Create-A-Friend
    Themed Colony Deeds
    Job Offers
    Frackin' Universe
    Playable Fenerox!
    The Orcana
    Felin
    Avali (Triage) Race Mod
    Anime Eyes For Humans
    Xbawks Character Extender

None of these seem to be mods that would mess with my ship layout as an Inkling, but I could easily be wrong since I haven't even really used most of them much. That's what I'm subscribed to at the moment, though.

11. Marinebeast

Yeah, looking at that, there shouldn't be any conflict in the ship stuff. Those all mesh just fine with this mod, and even if there were incompatibilities, any issues wouldn't be in the ship area anyways, but with vanilla content that's been lowkey modified or otherwise patched. (And I haven't gotten any reports on that yet, so that's nice. :) )

It just looks like there was some problem with your ship getting the wrong teleporter object, and the difference between the ship teleporter model and the craftable/placeable teleporter model ended up throwing a wrench in things.
    There was a point where I had the exact same problem while testing 1.1 stuff to the degree that I could-- my teleporter was off-center and was creeping into the rest of my ship, but it was fixed after I tweaked the shipKey file, which is what essentially specifies objects and collisions in your ship. The thing is, upgraded ships reference that file, making it so that objects like the teleporter should remain static, so it's probably not an upgrading issue.

For now, my best guess is that your ship somehow got a version of the shipKey that still uses the craftable teleporter object instead of the designated ship one.
    Ships are kind of weird like that; if changes are made to them in future updates, they're rarely retroactive. My girlfriend tested the 1.1 update just last night, and one of her early Inklings still had a Floran ship + pet. (And then she spent 5 minutes doting over her nudibranch. It's nice to know my work's got her approval.)

I don't believe a misplaced teleporter should affect gameplay too dramatically; if nothing else, I could always give you a version of the mod that sets the Inkling ship teleporter as an object you can pick up and place as you please, just so you can have your ship's feng shui back to normal again. Besides that, any new characters should logically have their ship teleporters behaving normally.

Coricus likes this.
  12. Coricus

That's alright, I'm fine restarting since I hardly made any progress on that character. Thanks for offering, though! And making a new character worked perfectly. . .I think. . . .Oh there it goes. Apparently it took a bit to actually fully apply the teleporter design! I went the double check and it fixed itself while I was looking.

I decided to gather a .log file of that last play session where I'd tested the mission area just to have a reference for what code goes through when the game boots up as a just in case thing since you made a big update and all. There's a couple of errors here and there, but the only one with any real obvious meaning or importance to the mod to my untrained eye is the ramen, which you've already caught.

Attached Files:

13. Marinebeast

Oh, hey, there you go! Yeah, ship modifications are really finicky, but I won't be making any more modifications to the Inkling ships for any foreseeable amount of time.

& yeah, flipping through that, the only error involving my mod is the ramen error! It's just a sprite naming mishap, and it'll be fixed in the 1.1.x2 bugfix patch, which'll be out sometime tomorrow. It's still craftable and usable as a food item, it's just.. invisible ramen. Spooky.

Coricus likes this.
  14. Marinebeast

15. Marinebeast

V1.1.x21 - For Retroactive Teleporter Issues

16. Marinebeast

Hotfix time!

17. Coricus

My old computer bricked itself, so I thought I'd install Starbound into my new computer and have some fun with it. Turns out you added a bunch of new items while I was gone!

[​IMG]

I don't think someone's happy to see me, LOL.

[​IMG]

Looks like whatever hiccup the Squid Beakon went through while you were making it is affecting our friend here.

The Squid Beakon also uses the old flag logo for it's inventory sprite if that wasn't intentional, but that's animating perfectly.

*EDIT* Is the Modernized TV supposed to display the squid with the white background when it's turned off?

*EDIT EDIT* Jelly Fresh is selling the Tentacle Hairclip.

*EDIT EDIT EDIT* An update went up RIGHT around the time I started playing. Hang on, let me get out and get back in.

*EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT* Looks like I was playing pre-update, but the things I mentioned are still going on, so I didn't just waste your time, LOL.

*EDIT x5* Testing aside. . .I realized an Inkling vehicle might be cool once you start getting into bigger updates again when you have spare time and there's a unique idea for it out there now. Might need some tweaking to look right since it's open air at the moment. . .you know what I'm referring to, right? A little ATV with an ink tank on the back. . .I just thought it sounded cool just now to have something inspired by it.

*Super belated EDIT x6*

Hey, look what just swam in from The Reef?

[​IMG]

I took a screenshot during the Testfire for this. Took a picture of a vanilla Starbound vending machine as a base and filled in the Splatoon 2 design. It's not a perfect match, but I think it at least gets somewhere close.

*EDIT x7* Whoops missed a pixel, fixed that.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  18. Marinebeast

i'm laughing so hard at the octopus in a jar holy moly. That looks like a frame-related problem, I'll get on it asap.

I'll look at the tentacle hairclip problem (JELONZO THAT'S NOT YOURS), and the modernized TV in a bit, I'm still really unfamiliar with light-type objects such as the TV.
    I'm tempted to retcon the TV for the time being until I can test animation better, but... we'll see.

I haven't considered vehicles yet, but the idea of an ATV with an ink tank, and other vehicles, would be super cool!
    I'll put it on the to-do-eventually list; I haven't messed about with Starbound vehicles much at all so far.

OH MAN THAT VENDING MACHINE IS HELLA FRESH. I might sneak it into the next hotfix ufufu~ But yeah, the new trailer has a lot of fun stuff in it, I'm glad that they're giving us such a look at the world of the second game, because that means lots of inspiration and fun stuff!

Coricus likes this.
  19. Marinebeast

V1.1.4: Fixes, vending machines and transdimensional octopuses.

20. Marinebeast

V1.1.4x -- Octopus Problems