1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Squids in Space: A Splatoon Mod V3.1 ~ Hotfixes ii

A species mod based off of Nintendo's Splatoon.

1. Gratuitous Lurking

Gratuitous Lurking Space Kumquat

I'll never understand why people go out of their way to post in an area something along the lines of 'I don't like it and you should feel bad for liking it'

Anyway, that's off topic. May wanna look at the base hammer brush, cus when I crafted it, I didn't have it use a sprite when held in hand, I was swinging an empty weapon.

2nd Lieutenant Raoni likes this.
  2. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

Yeah, pretty much. It's a waste of everyone's time!

Anyways, sure, I'll take a look and get that fixed up. The brushes have been really weird about that for whatever reason, it's always them..

3. Coricus

Coricus Subatomic Cosmonaut

I guess you could say I made some quick "fin" art.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I modeled it after the approximate size of the Poptop Plushie. I just got inspired for a moment and thought it would be fun to draw a Super Sea Snail with the idea of it being able to be placed like a plushie in mind. You can use it if you want to.

Also some other furniture ideas came to me. Namely the Splatfest voting stand and the tag-covered copy machine that the Inklings base their religion around.

I'll go turn on Starbound and check out the latest update now. Should be fun!

*EDIT*

Walked up to the Inkling Crafting Table right away and discovered a little blip.

[​IMG]

The other item previews are working fine, it's just the shelf that's missing.

Now to add them to my inventory and find some place to put them. :3

*EDIT 2* OK? I restarted my computer to update my antivirus and this is the second time the game has crashed when I first booted it up but the second attempt turned out fine. The .log file seems to be from the session before I restarted my computer, so I don't think it has anything of note on the matter. . .although it does mention the shelf. The first time I thought maybe it was because I had Tales of Symphonia tabbed, but it wasn't there this time. Someone else mentioned this already, so I guess I will too.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  4. Marinebeast

That sea snail plush is super adorable! I'll put it in and give you credit! ' o'
    I'm looking forward to making furniture and other objects, I want to make all sorts of knicknacks and pretty things based off of things from the game. Tiered stuff comes first, though!

... That's weird about the shelf, though.
    All sorts of stuff is disappearing and I don't know why, but I guess I'll be finding out soon enough!

Current known bugs:
    - A roller or two isn't showing up. The Inkbrush, Inkbrush Nouveau, Permanent Inkbrush, Octobrush, and Agent's Roller are all functional.
    - The Modernized Shelf is either invisible, doesn't want to hang on the wall, or both.

These'll be fixed tonight, it's a good excuse for me to go over all the melee weapons and make sure they're behaving properly. =u=;

2nd Lieutenant Raoni and Coricus like this.
  5. Coricus

The shelf seems to be. . .finicky with whether or not it'll show up when it's actually in your hand, rather than simply being not there. The first time it showed up holding it up despite not being in the preview on the Inkling Crafting Table but I didn't have a place I wanted to put it yet so I didn't try placing it, the second time it was gone from my hand altogether, and this time it showed back up again but trying to place it locked the game up for a while and now it simply lets me hold it up in the air without being able to place it. Now I can select and unselect it and it'll still show up in the air, but it won't place on surfaces.

So. . .yeah those seemed to both be issues at various points, but here's the full story of what seems to have happened with it so far.

*EDIT* That's odd, I can't find the chestpiece for the Armored Agent set. The other two pieces are there, but I haven't seen it either with or without Admin. Of course, I tried to get it made real quick before doing something, but. . .yeah I don't see the chest piece.

*EDIT 2* Oh THAT's where it is. It's on the Separator table when the other two are on the Manipulator table. I just noticed the Samurai armor is on the Manipulator Table as well, so I guess the two articles there were meant for the Separator table?

6. Marinebeast

Marinebeast updated Inkling Race Mod with a new update entry:

v0.8.1B Hotfix: No more malignant rollers!

Read the rest of this update entry...

7. Coricus

I decided to try making something else.

It's not nearly as adorable or detailed looking as the Super Sea Snail plush, but. . .I thought up the idea to make a Judd plush and then when I started on it I decided to make it a Judd Maneki-neko instead.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I'm guessing it gives you good luck in Turf Wars. :nurutease:

Also the Super Sea Snail plush goes PERFECT on that shelf. :3

*EDIT* I realized after I had posted that it lacked a coin, and it's been bothering me since.

I made a coin version.

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Failbird105

Failbird105 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Caught another thing. This time there's apparently no inkbrush Noueveau image at all, rather then it just not showing up in game

[Error] Could not load image asset '/items/active/weapons/melee/tiered/shortsword/inklingnouveau.png', using placeholder default.
    (AssetException) No such asset '/items/active/weapons/melee/tiered/shortsword/inklingnouveau.png'
    [14:12:18.846]

found the issue, you misnamed the image file somewhere, so it was looking for an image called inkLINGnouveau rather than inkBRUSHnouveau

Edit: got the duplicate name error again, gonna check if the same thing as before happens. Here's the log file on it.
    [Error] Duplicate projectile asset typeName bombblockexplosion. configfile /projectiles/explosions/satbombblockexplosion/satbombblockexplosion.projectile
    [15:02:15.458]

9. Marinebeast

Yikes! Yeah, I was renaming the files last night to fix the appearance issue, and.. yeah. That'll be fixed ASAP.

10. Marinebeast

11. 2nd Lieutenant Raoni

2nd Lieutenant Raoni Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I want to play with this mod so bad :rofl: its a shame that the game runs in an unplayable frame rate in my pc e.e anyways, AWESOME MOD dude :DD cant wait to play it :rofl:

12. Marinebeast

@Commander Scout

Yeah, it can be kind of unbearable at times. My computer sorta runs the game okay, it has a decent framerate planet-side, but it's impossible to do anything in my ship or populated areas.
    Super glad you like how things look so far, though!

And on that note: I'm not sure when the next major update will be. I'm going to be busy over the next two days, and I begin classes on the 29th, which'll slow things down a lot.
    Stuff to expect from 0.9, either way:

- Tier 6 armor
    - Tier 5 weapons, featuring the Luna Blaster and Hydra Splatling.
    - The fourth and final vendor stall, Ammo Knights.
    -- Sheldon will sell weapons, weapon crafting supplies, and versions of all the paintball-using weapons that use alternate colors from their usual tiered default! And other combat-related stuff, I'll probably have him sell stuff for crafting explosives.
    - More furniture.
    - More food. I think the two food items I added last night ended up in my recent updates, but they should be working just fine.
    - Possibly the early phases of the custom nudibranch pet I have in mind.
    - And other things, depending on how much time I have. Probably more clothes.

13. Coricus

I hadn't checked the food yet, so I'm looking at it now.

Marinaded Fugu is listing the second ingredient as two Perfectly Generic Items. Other than that food seems to be doing just fine.

*Almost a day later EDIT*

[​IMG][​IMG]

Made myself OCD over the stick and I probably missed the point of dango, buuuuuuut. . .

Yeah I made some Inkling themed dango. When I checked the food items it made me think about spriting one myself. Then I forgot for a long while, THEN I remembered I wanted to do it and actually did it.

If you already made dango in your stuff for the next update then whoops, but if you haven't then hopefully this works.

*EDIT EDIT*

And because I'm on Wikipedia's list of Japanese desserts and sweets. . .

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here's some quick Melonpan.

And while I'm at it, here's the link for what I'm reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_desserts_and_sweets

*EDIT EDIT EDIT*

Grape Tee, Blue Moto Boots, and School Shoes do not have their inventory sprites showing up.

. . .I feel like this post is going to end up like a clogged inbox while you're on your trip, LOL. Oh well, I'm just getting all the stuff and info out there and hopefully you'll notice the updates to it when you get back.

*EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT*

Are my Inkling colonists supposed to also be nudists?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  14. Marinebeast

1. Woah, sweet! Thank you for the sprites! ' o' Those are awesome and will fit in great!

2. I'll double-check those and get their icons fixed!

3. NO, NO THEY'RE NOT. WHOOPS. THAT'S EMBARRASSING. They'll have that fixed soon. I'm glad they're at least functioning, though...

10:49 PM Edit:

Stuff on the todo list that's been done for the next update as of tonight:

-
    Mysterious nudists have been fixed to my knowledge: I've looked at the NPC files more closely and tweaked it so that all the inklings should have designated clothes. There's also more unique dialogue for them, they'll even start chattering in their native language if you're an Inkling too.
    - Clothing icon disappearances have been fixed.

- Added another object, the Squid in a Jar. 1/2 injoke with friends, 1/2 "I would totally turn into a squid to get the last handful of peanut butter".

[​IMG]

More stuff will be done tonight. =u=/

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  15. Coricus

I. . .uh. . .I'm not exactly cut out for high detail items, but I had something I was going for with this idea.

[​IMG][​IMG]

It's the Paradise Lost by Octolangelo painting from Sunken Scroll #8, with a purple frame to represent the Octarians.

It didn't turn out nearly as good as I had hoped and it's not an exact match, but hopefully it's at least recognizable?

16. Marinebeast

Oh my gosh. THAT'S GREAT.
    That sunken scroll always made me laugh, and now it can be replicated here for all the Octarians who enjoy fine art.
    I'll have to take some inspiration from the scrolls, they've got a lot of fun stuff that can be worked with for art/objects in general.

(Also, t5 weapons are almost done. Dynamo rollers have really weird models when you look at them up close.)

17. Coricus

I kept thinking "It might be nice if there was a table that matched the Inkling Crafting Table and the Modernized Shelf."

So I tried my hand at making one.

*EDIT* I KNEW I did something wrong that I was missing, give me a sec... :(

[​IMG][​IMG]

There, now it doesn't have the line on the bottom where it shouldn't.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  18. Marinebeast

@ Coricus

You're too kind! That fits in super well with the other modern stuff + some of the other furniture I have in mind, it'll look good.

Anyways, tier 5 weapons are finally done. I finished the E-Liter 3K last night but lost the file-- but I like tonight's version better. Working on various furniture & graffiti right now, as well as bug-testing and poking around with balancing for weapons and armor. :3

19. Marinebeast

Alright, so, a fun little look into the weapon recolor concept I've got going + other stuff!

At the Ammo Knights stall that I have planned for tomorrow, you'll be able to buy a variety of things: some early-game weapons, weapon crafting stuff, custom inkling explosives (burst/splat/suction bombs) and color cartridges. And probably other things that fit nicely into his store, because there's definitely vanilla stuff and things I haven't made yet that would work.

Anyways, the color cartridges are vital for recoloring your weapon, which you'll be able to do at the Inkling Crafting Table. You use 3 Purple Filter Cartridges and 1 Splattershot to transform it into a Splattershot (Purple), which will then have a purple ink tank visible on it as well as purple paintball projectiles! This way, you can truly customize your weapon to your liking.
    There's six colors of cartridges: blue, green, orange, purple, red and yellow. The future might bring more, but that'll involve a bit more work.

Because recoloring a weapon changes the projectile used, it may also change the element of the attack! Blasters use explosive plasma grenade shots, which come in various elemental flavors; you might have noticed that there's different ones for each tiered blaster. The upcoming Luna Blaster line uses lightning grenade shots while the Ranged Blaster uses ice ones.

But there's also mere aesthetics, such as differently-colored plasma shots that are used by the Charger and Assault Charger lines, so it may just be appearances that change.
    (... Of course, these are separate models from the originals, so they might just have different alt attacks too. ;) )

You won't have the recipes from the start: you'll need to obtain the base weapon to unlock the alternate recipes.
    Not all weapons will come in all colors, but they'll all have at least one alternate palette, and weapons with less alternate palettes are very likely to have more diversity in alt attacks.

However, it's a one-way road-- you can only change your weapon's color once. Once the cartridge is in there, it's impossible to remove without dismantling the whole thing, so choose wisely!
    (Or you could just go download the Universal Uncrafter mod to get back your original weapon, which is a mod after my own heart. I highly recommend it.)

v0.9B will introduce this feature, starting with Splattershots, Machine Pistols (N-Zaps & the Splash-o-Matic), Splatlings and Blasters!
    I'll fill in the rest of the weapons with later updates.

In other news, tonight's been productive. Eight new objects (thanks again for the table, Coricus!), two new foods, one new hat, a finished and in-testing tier 5 weapon line, bugfixes here and there, and the beginning of assets for the customized weapon crafting. And that doesn't even count what I've done already!

I'll have the update out either late tomorrow night or late Sunday, depending on how much more I want to put into it: I definitely want to finish and polish Ammo Knights + the weapon stuff, and that'll require a lot of testing, recoloring and pixel-nudging. A few more food items and furniture might be on the to-do list because they're fun to make, and I promised someone that I'd make the Squid Hairclip and School Outfit to go with their respective shoes.

I've also had a fun idea of thematic consumables:
    I was thinking about making craftable charms that look like ingame stats and give respective buffs for awhile based off of those stats. Special Charge Up gives you energy regeneration, Running Speed Up gives you a speed boost, Quick Super Jump gives a jump boost.... and Recon makes you glow? That sort of stuff, Starbound has a ton of status effects that I could put to good use here. They'll last 3 to 5 minutes, maybe longer, much better than those silly stims.
    The catch is that they'll require more varied crafting items than stims, and non-Inklings will have to get them off their squid friends if they want to learn how to make them.
    (I might have Inkling merchants occasionally carry them, since they'll be recipe-upon-pickup items.)
    Depending on if I can get things working, that might be in this update too. C:

20. Coricus

[​IMG][​IMG]

I decided to try making those signs you see in Inkopolis as a wall decoration!

Initially I was going to try getting it at roughly the same size as in-game, but the level of detail involved meant I had to make it a bit bigger.

*EDIT*

I. . .may have just tried to make something a bit too small for my own good.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    I tried to replicate the little cup full of lollipops that sits on Callie and Marie's table.

*EDIT EDIT* It's a bit longer and skinnier than the original sign and of course at the size I did it at I couldn't get the letter details exact, but here's another Inkopolis sign.

[​IMG][​IMG]

*EDIT EDIT EDIT*

I sat at my Splatoon arcade and stared in an attempt to make a 1:1 copy of the squid sprite art scrolling in the background in case that also might make a good wall decoration.

[​IMG][​IMG]

1:1 copy. . .Of something that was constantly moving. . .You're a kid now. . .you're a squid now. . .:nuruconfused:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016