1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Squids in Space: A Splatoon Mod V3.1 ~ Hotfixes ii

A species mod based off of Nintendo's Splatoon.

1. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

THEY'RE WORKING! Yeah, they'll chatter at you in native tongue sometimes if you're a squid too. The woomyening is swiftly approaching.
    I'm super glad they're using their proper text, too, that's a sight for sore eyes.

. . .

Oh, right, yeah, those belong in the decorations crafting and I should probably double-check that next time.
    It's been a long day and I shouldn't be allowed to add content right now. :')

Coricus likes this.
  2. Coricus

Coricus Subatomic Cosmonaut

LOL, I opened my general crafting for some reason right after you said that and there they are.

Yeah I tend to. . .blank out on stuff sometimes. Probably should have checked there too. I'll go add them to my base now though.

*EDIT* I'm floating. . .maybe five or six pixels above the pole?

3. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Your merchant.config.patch references none existent parent nodes:
    Code:
    {
       "op":"add",
       "path":"/helpme/inkling",
       "value":{
         "default":[  
           "Eeeiiaah! Someone help!",
           "Hssssss, don't touch me!",
           "Please help me! I don't want to fight!"
         ]
       }
    },
    {
       "path":"/helpthem/inkling",
           "Uhm, shouldn't you do something?! I can't!",
           "Please help them!"
         ]
       }
    },
    {
       "path":"/encourage/inkling",
           "Aha, yeah, get 'em!",
           "Smack them hard! For me!",
           "Show 'em who's boss!",
           "Paint 'em purple!"
         ]
       }
    },
    {
       "path":"/safe/inkling",
           "Aha, geez.. too close.",
           "Kyeeaahh, that wasn't fresh at all..",
           "I really hope that doesn't happen again..."
         ]
       }
    }

~ Iris ~

Marinebeast likes this.
  4. Marinebeast

@Iris Blanche

Thank you for pointing that out; I must have based that off of an outdated template. The fixed version will be uploaded ASAP.

Iris Blanche likes this.
  5. Marinebeast

Marinebeast updated Squids in Space: A Splatoon Mod with a new update entry:

Two quickfixes.

Read the rest of this update entry...

2nd Lieutenant Raoni likes this.
  6. Coricus

When I talk to my Inkling tenant, they seem to be using Human voice clips.

Also I took a screenshot of a few things from earlier mentions that are still left in case they slipped through the cracks.

[​IMG]

In other news I got an idea that unfortunately I don't think would mechanically work but occurred to me anyway: an Inkling futon.

Would somehow need THREE interactive functions mapped to it with one used to switch between the other two and some really intense spriting, but the idea did seem neat so I'll mention that it popped into my head in case there's some magical way to make it work.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  7. Marinebeast

@ Coricus

1. STUPID GRAPE TEE WHY AREN'T YOU BEHAVING. That's so annoying, I can't believe it's still doing that, ugh. :V Maybe I'll just remake the whole item..

2. Oh my god, they're ascending. I'll look into modifying the excess pixels of those furniture items, thank you!
    (I love the fact that you're using the squid-in-a-jar for testing; that item's an in-joke between my friends and I, and it makes me giggle every time I see it.
    DANG IT, TURRET, GETTING STUCK IN THE PEANUT BUTTER JAR AGAIN.)

3. A futon might be really cute! I don't really know how I'd work with it beyond it being a bed, and I have no idea if it's possible to switch items between functions, but it could be a nice alternative to the Modernized Bed for those who prefer a more traditional flair. I'll probably do a set more like that once I'm happy with the Modernized stuff; until then, we can just continue to steal stuff from Hylotls. I'm sure they'll understand, Hylotls and Inklings tend to get along.

4. To be fair, I don't know exactly how to manipulate the talking noises for NPCs. I'll look in the vanilla files later and see if there's any way to manipulate that, and then lok a bit further into what sorts of noises I might use for them. Monster noises, I'm sure.

5. Nice armor, by the way. I put the most effort into that darn hat and I'm glad it's looking nice when worn. ' q'

Finally, I'm getting reports that, while this mod is active, NPCs might be experiencing Sudden Death Onset Syndrome when interacted with by another custom race.
    If anyone could back up this claim and/or provide error logs, that'd be awesome. I'll be testing with the Avali race tonight, just to see if I can find the problems.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    2nd Lieutenant Raoni and Coricus like this.
  8. Marinebeast

And after about three hours of inconclusive testing, I found the furniture collision problem: the pieces of furniture in question were not multiples of 8.

See, Starbound measures a lot of its stuff in 8x8 pixel blocks, with one 8x8 = 1 block. Since the three objects were not exact multiples of 8, the game tried to slot them into the system by adding extra invisible pixels that weren't there before, which would make their heights a multiple of 8 when they weren't before. And that's where the phantom pixels came from.

So I fixed that! From here on out, if you make an object, and it's meant to be stood on or is meant to have things placed on top of it, such as a table, shelf or other such thing, please make their height a multiple of 8! Or, uh, you don't have to and I can do it, I'm pretty good at altering sprites and making things look natural. Just figured I'd put it out there.

Either way, now I know what causes this problem and how to fix it. Whoop whoop!

Edit: Also, I think I found the Grape Tee's issue.

See, in a clothing file, you have to point at what section of the "icons" sprite you want it to use as an icon. There's three sections the head (first 16x16px), the chest (second 16x16px), or pants (third 16x16px). Ideally, a full set of clothes will have an icons.png that's about 48px by 16px, with three little pixel images in it for each piece of the set, and Starbound automatically picks out what 16x16 area to use depending on what you tell it to do in the clothing item's file.

Uh, the Grape Tee's icon was pointing to the nonexistent chest area of the sprite. Because it only has a 16x16 icon file, I should've told it to use the "head" section of the icon sprite.
    I was literally asking it to use nonexistent parts of the sprite as its item icon. Whoops.

It should now be using an actually-existing section of its icons.png sprite for its item icon.

In short, I think I fixed it!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  9. Dennis el Azul

Dennis el Azul Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This mod looks AMAZING! Great job, you are near to ending it! I will recommend it to some friends. Stay fresh! :D

10. astrerius

astrerius Aquatic Astronaut

[Quote = "Marinebeast, de la publicación: 2970607, miembro de: 429378"] Marinebeast presentó un nuevo mod:

Inkling Carrera Mod - Calamares en el espacio! Un mod especies con sede fuera de Hielo y Fuego de Nintendo.

Leer más acerca de este mod ... [/ quote]
    Tengo un Problema, tengo la versión starbound 1.0.5 y no me aparece para elegir la raza

11. 2nd Lieutenant Raoni

2nd Lieutenant Raoni Scruffy Nerf-Herder

necessitas de este mod para que tudo funcione correctamiente https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=729426722
    :DD

Marinebeast likes this.
  12. Marinebeast

@ Dennis el Azul

I wouldn't say I'm close to finishing it -- I guess I just have a bit less work now that I'm almost done with weapons and other stuff like that.
    I still have a lot of things planned to do! It'll just be slow because of school. :3

Glad you like it, though!!

13. Marinebeast

Tiny fixes.

14. Marinebeast

haha oops

15. Marinebeast

16. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

I've been watching this resource for a while now, and I'm really impressed by the dedication you've been putting into working on this and keeping this updated.

I gotta wonder, have you been thinking of how you'd one day tackle the idea of the ink-swimming mechanics? Or is that way too far off to even think about right now? :V

EDIT:

Oh my god.

17. Marinebeast

It is pretty far-off, yeah! I might eventually see if I can make it so that they can't breathe in water, but can swim and breathe just fine in non-water liquids.
    I'm sure there's some way to rig it up by specifying the liquid types... and if you mean shapeshifting in general, I think I might have that figured out for a tech. We'll see.
    I do want to work on getting all armor, weapons, and other more core stuff finished right now though. I'm working on ship files and pet stuff tonight, but I can't give an ETA on the next release because of college keeping me busy.

And yes, Judd's been fully implemented by this point! ;)

18. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

I'd imagine it wouldn't be an interaction with liquids, but with some kind of modifier for blocks that turns them into "coated blocks" that can be navigated around like with the sticky morphball, albeit in a more slippery way

19. Marinebeast

Aha, yes! I got codexes working, finally!

[​IMG]

So far I've got a basic introduction to the species and their lifestyles, this document that covers the concept of turf war and their weapon + fighting style choices, a brief thing on Octarians, and a written account of an Inkling explorer meeting a human. The first two are default codexes, and I'm going to either add the others to the default pool or make them craftable somewhere.

It's all fairly headcanon-heavy stuff, working with what we're given as official material and developing it in a logical fashion-- like the notion that only fresh water hurts them. That's my idea about them, because they came from the sea and must be immune to the effects of salt water as a result. I'm going to have to do stuff like that if I want them to make sense in this setting!

I'm totally taking suggestions for things I should write, too, if anyone wanted to see a specific topic or angle covered. I personally do a lot of writing and brainstorming for the Splatoon world, so there's no shortage of fun stuff here.
    So far, I've got plans for more interracial interactions, a brief blurb on their homeworld's governments and whatnot, and maybe a small piece on their space-faring initiative / reasons for being involved in the Protectorate. I've got a good concept of all their interactions with vanilla races thus far, you might be able to see some of that in various dialogue, but I do want to develop it more in codexes and whatnot.

Other exciting developments:

- Pets are happening! I only have one variant so far, a light blue+darker blue markings morph, but more will be added before the next update!
    They don't make noise yet, and I'm not sure how I want them to sound.. I mean, they're sea slugs. They don't really say much.
    - Someone generously linked me to Splatoon's voice clip assets, so now Inklings will have custom sfx instead of using monster ones. I'm still trying to puzzle out how to give them custom npc talk / converse noises, though, I just don't know where that is in the files..
    - You might be able to see it in the screenshot, but I've got a custom ship rigged up. It's nothing special, just a recolored Hylotl ship, but it's something and it works. I like to think that Inklings are opportunistic scavengers anyways, they seem pretty keen on building their stuff from and on top of those of other cultures. Their SAIL AI console, teleporter, and whatnot have all been recolored and subtly changed as unique objects, which means no more Floran AI console!
    -- Following that, they have a custom treasurePool now, so you'll get unique freebies in your ship locker. Everyone's gotta start somewhere, and that means a Splattershot and fish dumplings.
    -- I really don't know if I have plans to make a full custom ship. It's a bit of an arduous task, and I'd rather be putting that energy towards furnishings and other lovely little things, you know? This is good for now. I like how it looks.

20. Coricus

Won't the fish dumplings rot a lot faster than the canned food? I like the idea of unique Inkling starter food, but that might put them at a disadvantage on Survival Mode compared to other races. Perhaps they could have like. . .canned sardines or something. Or some of those food packs they hand out in the military.

. . .If we're getting really crazy, Inkling themed astronaut ice cream.

As for lore. . .hmm. . .

Maybe some Codexes describing the NPCs from Splatoon? At the very least I'm guessing Callie and Marie should be easy to make info about, seeing as they're pop stars AND news anchors.

After all, the players who don't own Splatoon might not know as much about them.

If you need a REALLY big pile of Codexes, though. . .you could make one based off of each stage in Splatoon. It could be anything from advertisements to misadventures of various squids depending on the locale. It would give a bigger picture of their home life to the unfamiliar and a pretty fun read for everyone in general.