1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED [Starbound 1.0+] Tanz' Lighting Overhaul! 1.4.1

Overhauled lighting system with loads of customization!

1. TanzNukeTerror

TanzNukeTerror Ketchup Robot

I'm not sure how it's not working for you, but since the screenshots I took are from the exact zip I uploaded here, I can only assume there's a conflict in mods.

Try backing up your mods, player, and universe folders, then deleting all mods but the TanzLO ones, and start a fresh character in a fresh universe? Then slowly add mods one at a time until it stops working, and let me know which mod that is?

Edit: If multiple mods conflict, I'll need all their names. I'll mark them down as incompatible with whatever they conflict with in TanzLO.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  2. TanzNukeTerror

I'll see what I can do, but I doubt it's something I can change with the lighting. However, I'll look into tweaking glass tiles and other should-be-transparent tiles to let light pass through them where it wouldn't pass through solid tiles. However, my keyboard and mouse batteries are dead and it'll be a while until I'm able to pick up new ones. I can't guarantee an update for tomorrow morning, but I'll certainly try.

Which parts are you using exactly? I like to fix stuff while using the exact customization with the issue.

3. TanzNukeTerror

Thankyou very much.

I hope you're enjoying this mod other than this glass issue? c:

4. TanzNukeTerror

That was exactly the point of this mod. :D

Not going to have any of those transparent monsters, are you?

5. CommanderEwok

CommanderEwok Subatomic Cosmonaut

When I installed this mod into my game all the monsters started lagging badly while underground. Any idea what the cause is?

6. TanzNukeTerror

If you've installed the monster customization, uninstall it. If you haven't, try uinstalling the whole mod and see if that helps. I haven't had this happen, so I honestly can't say I know what's going on. I have a general idea, though, which is why I said to uninstall the monster customization first.

7. TanzNukeTerror

I don't believe there's anything I can do about this. Could you perhaps screenshot what you mean?

I believe I'd have to make glass render like platforms, but I'm not sure that'd help. And I'm not sure if that'd screw things up. I can give it a shot and see what happens, if nothing else.

8. TanzNukeTerror

Does replacing it with normal glass do anything? I'll try some things tonight and see if it works. Got some batteries in my mouse and keyboard finally. :D

Edit: Found the issue, I believe. 'woodenwindow1' has 'lightTransparent' set to false. I'll patch a couple more window files, and then I'll release the update tomorrow morning. Thanks for your help! I'd never have found this myself. c:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  9. TanzNukeTerror

I checked regular glass myself. Just the wooden-framed ones, blinds, etc. seem to be affected. But I'll probably patch fences and stuff as well. Anything light should seep through.

10. TanzNukeTerror

Welp, so much for a 10am upload. Had family stuff. Tomorrow, though, I promise.

Turns out, only 'blackglass', 'woodenwindow1', and 'woodenwindow2' needed to be patched. Fences, cross hatch, etc. are all good. Seems like a small, easy thing to miss. But makes all the difference with stuff like this.

Mind waiting until tomorrow?

11. TanzNukeTerror

12. Ishrindor

Ishrindor Cosmic Narwhal

I like the concept of this but for some unknown reason when I do use this mod it lags the game so bad that it's nearly unplayable.
    Trees fall slowly, the movement of the aliens[that is what I call them] are really slow, item drops to the ground and into you slow as well, so
    I'm not sure if my system can handle this mod or not.

13. TanzNukeTerror

The main portion of this mod, turns all lights into shadow-casting lights and may be the main source of the lag. This is because every light that's onscreen is calculating how to cast shadows in which directions, etc.

The other possible source of lag is the monster customization. This is because every monster is testing what light level they're standing in, all the time.

It's quite possible your system may not be able to handle those two, so I would suggest uninstalling the monster customization if you have it installed. If that doesn't help, uninstall the main portion as well. The rest of the customizations are stand-alone, and shouldn't cause any lag.

If you still have lag after the main portion and monster customization are uninstalled, it's most likely not this mod.

14. DukeScrewface

DukeScrewface Phantasmal Quasar

I've been playing with your mod all day and i really like it; but it slows down falling trees and monsters by 30 to 60 %. Not frame skips; but actually slower. So I can just run circles around the monsters while they are barely able to respond. Its no fun killing lobotomized monsters. I have a fairly decent dual processor pc. Do you have any idea if one sub module is very processor intensive at the server? Maybe I could just disable that one. If I figure out which on my own I'll edit this post.

I especially liked the hide monsters in darkness module. It had such a cool feel huddling by my campfire wondering what might be lurking just outside the light. Or spelunking through caves with a 1 hander and a flashlight nervously scanning for monsters waiting to jump me.

ed - Anyway, after much experimentation, "TanzLO_v1.3.2_monsters.modpak" is the culprit. Mebbe you can find a way to optimize it? The lighting should already be calculated to display the terrain, right? Why is just checking it so processing intensive? If I disable it everything else works fine. And its a sweet mod btw.

15. TanzNukeTerror

The monsters customization is checking many times a second, for the light level the monster is standing in. This, multiplied by many monsters, really slows things down. I'm considering just removing it, honestly.

Every time it checks, it rounds the monster's X and Y position (this prevents flickering), then applies opacity based on that value.

Unfortunately, I don't know if this can me optimized much, if any. :c

I ended up not using it myself, but haven't bothered removing it yet. I love the idea, but I may have executed it very poorly. I'll try some more things later, but I can't make any promises.

16. DukeScrewface

I actually did something like this in terraria; I made a panther that would fade to invisibility in dark areas. Even if there's a million monsters up at a time, a million "greater than" operations does not take significant time. Rounding... idk it should be simple as well i think. And apparently it requires some other mods to be running to reproduce the problem. So it may be hard to nail down. I looked at the code, but couldn't make sense of it at a glance.

You're technically right, it works if it's the only mod. But one of the first things I tried was removing mods that add more critters and whatnot that seemed likely to cause lag. Lighting was the second thing I tried. So it may not be as simple as the number of monsters. So, fine it's a bad interaction with one or more other mods. But the code that's slowing everything down seems to be running from this mod so the other authors can't very well fix it.

So I used all my mods minus ones i thought added more total creatures, still had the problem.
    I tried "Monster part mod pack Immersive version" by itself in case it was the type and not number of monsters, but it didn't cause a problem.
    fracking universe as well: still seems okay. Gah... mebbe I'll try every combination of mods later.

17. TanzNukeTerror

Mine was fine, until I was on a shadow planet. There was some slowdown, but when I uninstalled the monster bit, the slowdown was still the same.

Then I tested on my ship with upwards of 40 poptops, with some flashing lights and such. It didn't change any movement.

So I'm not sure what's causing the occasional slowdown I've also experienced with the monsters customization. Maybe it's how I've applied it? Either way, I'm still trying stuff, and will update when I feel the fix is better. Of course, I won't know 100% until people have tested it.

18. DukeScrewface

Sorry to be a pest, my server is up and I am optimizing it for multiplayer after the fact. Can I add and remove your mods from an existing server at will without killing it, or does the server become dependent on some once added?

19. ogdred

ogdred Phantasmal Quasar

Tans , does the mod for the light to be unable to go through walls work on the nightly build (I suspent it wont) and if it doesnt , is it possible to get the same effect with console commands/light configuration file?
    I really like the idea of light going through no more than 1 block.

20. TanzNukeTerror

The passthrough, aura, brightness and tiles customizations should work with the Nightly build, yes. c:

Sorry it's taken so long to answer. Yes, you can add and remove the mod whenever. c: It shouldn't cause issues.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    DukeScrewface likes this.