1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED [Starbound 1.0+] Tanz' Lighting Overhaul! 1.4.1

Overhauled lighting system with loads of customization!

1. TanzNukeTerror

TanzNukeTerror Ketchup Robot

TanzNukeTerror updated [Glad Giraffe] Tanz' Lighting Overhaul! with a new update entry:

Removed monsters

Read the rest of this update entry...

2. TanzNukeTerror

3. greenRAM

greenRAM Giant Laser Beams

I noticed that some players have reported performance problems due to point light shadows. I decided to set point light boost value to 0 in the lighting config to see what happens, and it seemed to work really well. No more point light shadows and a substantial performance increase even as I zoomed out ridiculously far. No more beam-type light effects, so it's a trade off of atmosphere for performance. I thought it might work well as another feature for this mod if people are having performance problems. In the meantime, I'll upload this as it's own small mod.

Attached is the changes, if you're interested.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  4. TanzNukeTerror

I was considering doing this, but wasn't sure. It's almost like not having this mod installed, when you do.

Without:
    [​IMG]

With:
    [​IMG]

Vanilla:
    [​IMG]

It's kind of weird and buggy, and you may as well just not install the main portion, really. :c If light is just going to pass through stuff anyway. It's better to just not install the main portion, than to disable the one thing the main portion does.

5. greenRAM

greenRAM Giant Laser Beams

I see. That's true. I uploaded it as a standalone for now. So, it exists if someone needs it. I'll add a link to this mod for additional lighting options. If you end up adding it as an additional option I'll update the standalone to say that it has become outdated and point members to here instead.

6. TanzNukeTerror

Probably won't add it, but anything I say today might become ignored in the future.
    I'm having a really hard time with things today. :c

Milly Rainbowskittlez likes this.
  7. ogdred

ogdred Phantasmal Quasar

Will I get in trouble if I run the light not passing confin on a multiplayer?

8. TanzNukeTerror

You shouldn't. There's no cheat-y items or armors or anything in this. It just makes light behave differently. It's totally client-side, so there's absolutely no reason you should get in trouble for using it.

ogdred likes this.
  9. TanzNukeTerror

10. CortezArtz

CortezArtz Void-Bound Voyager

Absolutely love your mod I couldn't play without it! However there is something that really bothers me. The thrusters, the Ftl drive and the invisible cockpit lightsource on the ship is really annoying. They give off so much light that even without a single actual light source I can clearly see everything on the ship (Passtrough-None, Brightness-Medium). Long ago when I used this mod I didn't had this problem. And I think I know what causing it. Cuz the game or your mod doesn't recognize the ship hull as blocks so the light goes right trough it. Here`s a few examples: http://imgur.com/a/ZI6NJ
    If I cover the floors, the ceiling and the walls with blocks then its how it should be, the light does not passtrough and I can make the ship absolutely dark. I dont really like that the tech station and the ship locker gives off so much light neither but I can live with it.
    So could you please do something about it or give me some advice how to deal with this please?

11. TanzNukeTerror

This is a Starbound issue that popped up in the Glad Giraffe update. There's nothing I can do about it, and it's fixed in the current Nightly. (And next Stable.)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  12. Milly Rainbowskittlez

Milly Rainbowskittlez Cosmic Narwhal

In terraria, i remember being able to swap between the lighting options at a whim through the options menu or even just pressing a simple button to cycle through them.
    Do you think it would be possible to do something similar?

Also something else i would like to note. When the other light mod was discontinued, (and thus became outdated) i had an issue that literally removed everything that cast light (including the teleporter pad and various types of containers)
    If this mod becomes outdated or discontinued at some point, will this happen?

13. TanzNukeTerror

I doubt I can. :c I just changed objects to emit a different kind of light. What you're suggesting would most likely require a rewrite of the actual lighting engine.

You can install and uninstall this mod seamlessly. Which means nothing bad will happen if you remove it. c: I doubt I'll ever discontinue it, but I appreciate your concern.~

Short answer: No, to both.

14. Milly Rainbowskittlez

Milly Rainbowskittlez Cosmic Narwhal

Ah yeah, i didnt think of that actually. I probably would have known that if i knew how to code, huh? :rofl:

thats what i was thinking how the other worked as well, but apparently not i suppose.
    I did do the testing to see how seemlessly it worked, and im quite pleased with it so far with it, especially with all the customization ^w^

in either cheese, thanks for being so quick wif reply :D

15. TanzNukeTerror

No problem. c:

The monsters customization may cause issues, but I'm looking into fixing that as well.

16. Repulse

Repulse Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey, I'm getting a problem with the lighting, it works with the tiles, but not the ship walls.
    Here's one with the original mod:
    problem.png
    One with the passthrough none mod:
    problem2.png
    I tried it with both of the mods, but it's pretty much the same result as the first image, only brighter.
    Not sure whether it's my fault, or shadow casting with ship walls isn't even a thing in this mod yet.

17. TanzNukeTerror

It's a thing that happened with the Glad Giraffe update. There's nothing I can do, and as far as I'm aware, it's fixed in Cheerful Giraffe. (The next Starbound update.)

18. Repulse

Repulse Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Alright, grand.

19. Ishrindor

Ishrindor Cosmic Narwhal

Can this work with the newest update?
    Cause I've tried the one off Steam and that one doesn't seem to work.

20. Altered_Nova

Altered_Nova Big Damn Hero

Just installed the steam workshop version. Are torches supposed to have an annoying red flicker? Also, what happened to all the optional versions of the mod (player aura, partial light bleeding through blocks, etc?)