Dev Blog Starbound 1.4 – Bounty Hunter Update [Unstable]

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Original Post

2. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I've been playing this for a bit earlier today and I gotta say, thumbs up emoji.

Kelthazan likes this.
  3. Ickura

Ickura Big Damn Hero

AHA, THERES the news! Thank you! :love:

Vrow and DragonsForce like this.
  4. Yavor

Yavor Big Damn Hero

Congratulations, Chucklefish! We are happy that you are back in the Universe of Starbound! Promises kept! You've held your part of the bargain, and now we'll hold ours! Expect lots of lots of feedback! (Hopefully more positive from everyone)
    Thank You for everything!

VitaminK, Wa.luigi.time and Kelthazan like this.
  5. MidgetLover

MidgetLover Scruffy Nerf-Herder

won't' somebody please think of the [ performance ]!?

6. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

I logged in after gods knows how long to say... AWESOME! Welcome back :D I'm so glad you guys still have a care to update this game after so long. I was worried it'd been entirely abandoned when there's so much potential left. Thank you devs for all your hard work! And again, welcome back :>

7. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

So far, this update looks quite promising! Have not played it mysel yet (I think I'll wait until it's a bit more.... Finished), but from what I've seen from other fan's posts, I like what I'm seeing!

8. MrsGuu

MrsGuu Phantasmal Quasar

Yay ! Have starting a new charakter for this news and have seen a little bit. Its okay, but sorry... I want more !!! :nurunaughty:

9. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Oh forget your performance, man! Here, I'll let the big man speak for himself:
    upload_2019-4-27_1-12-43.png

10. izzykuroneko

izzykuroneko Scruffy Nerf-Herder

More of the neon stuff, please :')

Kawa likes this.
  11. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

OH GOD! Finally something new! Good work guys, good work! Much appreciated!

Remember my fellow members of these community, don't be a toxic person. Stay cool and low. They have done their best, we should appreciate it.

Now, now, now all toxic person are not welcome here. Begone now, if you are that kind of person! Sorry, please no offense taken. It is for the good of this game and the community.

12. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Aye, bit of an understatement that, lad. Bit frizzled in the ol' head cogs, what with this being the thing that was last I recall cancelled, only to be surprisingly sprung upon us once again.
    Really. I... Am legitimately... Head ow, how do react? Confuse. PLEASE INSERT ERROR RECOVERY DISK
    See...

I would go and say "Ah, yes, brilliant, an update! Thank you kindly, great ones!"
    But well...

Nownow, I don't mean to be negative... H o w e v e r . . .

Some forewarning would be appreciated next time.

Honestly, dozens of us (dozens!) have been all but pleading for even a tiny drop of news, even just an official "hey, game's not dead and is still actively being worked on!" for ... goodness, half a year? Longer?
    I know you lot [Chucklefish] have always had a rather... Valvesque concept of "Soon" and "Time", but please for the love of all that is holy, unholy, and holey like swiss cheese used as target practice at the Novakid gun club, please actually communicate next time, on the blog, on the forums, on twitter- in sensible, public places, and in a coherent and direct manner.

Your habit of going long periods without saying anything of substance, or even confirming that the game isn't dead in the water, only leads to growing toxicity and mistrust in the community.
    As someone who has been... afflicted by such, and will likely continue to be skeptical and uneasy for some time regarding developments pertaining to Chucklefish...
    I do mean this sincerely. It's better for the dev-player, and seller-customer relationship in general.

But gah. All this aside, I may just have to reinstall yet again and give it a shot... Assuming performance has improved somewhat. Speaking of which can that please be the focus of the next update?

Yeah though, do understand some will be upset still; after all, to the eyes of many you've just given us what you were about to give us a solid ... let's just say many months ago after a random 180 in decisionmaking. I admit I'm having a hard time not seeing it that way myself, as a somewhat jaded individual, however from the description you've given I'm willing to believe that significant thought and effort has gone into making this a truly meaty piece of content that can actually keep players occupied as long as, if not longer than the main storyline, which I appreciate to no end and think is exactly what Starbound needs more of.

So yes, overall, tl;dr version:
    Thank you for the update, please work on communicating clearer and more often with your audience on all channels, please work on the performance issues that still plague the game especially in multiplayer.
    Some people will still be grumpy about getting the Bounty Hunting update after it was cancelled and significantly late, but don't let them dissuade you, I'm actually delighted this did get added in the end and especially that it seems to be a more substantial piece of long-term content like the story was.

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

So you guys ARE adding Bounty Hunting afterall?

Awesome!

Thanks so much for that. I'm glad you decided to reconsider, and decided not to scrap something you'd already put a bunch of work into.

And yeah, to echo what Shaadaris said, people might grumble a bit, but please understand it's a vocal minority here on the forums and even reddit, and I'd think the majority of players, especially those who can't/won't mod their games would very much love new content, regardless of how "disconnected" or "tacked-on" it might feel, and modders are always hungry for new APIs and systems to make their mods better.

14. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Don't worry, Chucklefish, we got this. We will not be a toxic person. We will keep this community clean from it. So, remember this, this is the most important, "don't neglect us again." Because communication is the purpose of this community.

15. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Eh, I get the sentiment, but it perhaps might not be the best of ideas to make promises on everybody else's behalf. I'm sure there -will- be some toxic players popping up sooner or later, sadly. Hopefully this time, they'll just ignore them and continue on, knowing that the majority of people are quite reasonable, and love the update.

16. MidgetLover

so what does this mean? how do i use this information? should i downgrade my rig to properly play SB?

The Squid, Kawa, Ickura and 3 others like this.
  17. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

They have added many new files, more text files with a lot of text, dozens of new images, etc etc, when I go from unstable to stable I have a lot of work to update the translation xD

But hey, I'll be delighted, this update is a joy for me, and I gave it up for lost, if you look at the diff, there is more added than it seems in the news, the patchnotes is small, but there are many additions internally, many details, etc for the game.

Thanks CF =)

18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

No, it means that there's some sort of bug having to do with newer hardware that needs fixed and that it is not merely a performance issue.

If it were just a performance/optimization issue, then it would run even worse on older hardware.

But you know, it's a beta. give them time to get the bugs out before asking for a live release and/or judging it too harshly. We should be happy that the beta branch got the update at all. I, for one, don't care if it CTD'd every 30 seconds, I'd still be happy there's an update being worked on, period.

davoker likes this.
  19. MidgetLover

i'm not in a hurry considering that many mods are going to need some updating after this major release so, at least i'm giving it 3 months before playing it fully moded again, i feel naked playing vanilla, i just can't go back

Starcat5 likes this.
  20. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I might tinker with the vanilla version a little a week or two from now.

Starcat5 likes this.