Dev Blog Starbound 1.4 – Bounty Hunter Update [Unstable]

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Apr 26, 2019.

1. How about them sever side characters u promised I dono like 5 years ago? I know running a server besides a cheat fest is useless , making everything your doing useless, because all some one has to do is admin their character and join yours. Killing all sense of achievement and progession. Leaving the only way to run a cheat free server is force every one to be hardcore characters so they lose everything on death. I suppose if you had a super admin that could baby sit every one it would work, but that's in realistic. I mean if you weren't gonna do that you should of just left it a single player game.

Boshed and General Nuclear like this.
  2. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Are there any new news about them? Because I rarely hangout at Discord.

General Nuclear likes this.
  3. tigerfestival

tigerfestival Cosmic Narwhal

Devs if you are reading this please do this one thing. Please optimize the game to it's full potential, adding in more content for a game that's poorly optimized is only going to cause problems later down the road. So please I am begging you optimize the game with the 1.4 update.

As for the bounty hunting, it doesn't look very interesting. Many of the bounties don't put up much of a fight. I hope some new boss fights can be added, as in hunt down this boss or that boss. Basically non story related bosses. I don't like that bosses are tied to the story, so I hope some new bosses can become bounties and you get rewarded handsomely for defeating them also if you will do this please make the bosses tough.

Lastely I'm not feeling that cyberspace biome. I hope I won't be forced to go to it.

Vrow and General Nuclear like this.
  4. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@tigerfestival

The game is optimized. If the devs can have a dedicated piece of shit computer that they test the game on, that they specifically bought on the cheap for that express purpose, and still get double-digit FPS on it, I'm inclined to believe the problem may not be the game's level of optimization. If my old suicidal clunker of a laptop gets double-digit FPS on it, I'm heavily inclined to believe it.

Seriously, you should've seen it before the 1.0 release. The Great Library, being full of water, originally dropped my FPS so low it was SPF. Then they optimized it. Then they optimized a thing involving Lua context switching so places full of entities wouldn't cause similarly immense slowdown. Honestly quite a piece of art to behold.

As for the bounty hunting not looking very interesting, have I got news for you! It is optional, and there are new boss fights. I shan't spoil anything specific.

5. tigerfestival

tigerfestival Cosmic Narwhal

I'm not getting garbage fps or anything of the sort. But a friend of mine would run into problems whenever he plays alone or with me. Still if more optimization can be done I hope the devs will take care of it.
    As for the boss fights I hope they'll be plenty of them and are both rewarding and challenging. I hope you don't need to complete the game to fully utilize the bounty hunting system, as in you can just spend your time bounty hunting and the main story remains untouched for the most part.

6. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

The excess of mods, some more than others, worsens the performance of the game, I have never had performance problems, the only problem I have had is that once I was running with the person, I was completely hit by an invisible wall, because I have not finished loading the map xD but this is something that has happened to me little.

I only use mods of type interface, I do not use mods that add content, and performance problems I have not had any, except for the printer pixels, when you have many objects in it, when opening it I stuck some xD pulling that, performance good for me.

This game needs more microprocessor than graphics, even so, I use a G4560, which is a pretty poor micro, and 0 problems.

7. Daikon Ocelot

I used to play the game with a bunch of mods, with a horrible performance. The game lags as hell. It lags like when you open a pixel printer. Everytime I try to teleport to a new place, it always crashes the game. But once I try to mess up with the config file and turn off the vsync manually, suddenly, the lag drastically decreases. I play the game like I play the game with no mod at all. The FPS is quite stable, teleporting is no longer a problem, I even play multiplayer with my little brother, and there are no serious connection problem. So, what I am going to say is, what's up with that? And, why don't they add an option for that?

By the way, the mod I am using is FU and other bunches of race mods, like the Elithian. I believe my PC is pretty potato.

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

One thing that DOES lag terribly and is terribly optimized is the Mech Parts system.

We're finding that out with FU, that if you have a lot of mech parts, doing ANYTHING that involves the mechs whatsoever causes ridiculous crazy lag, even picking up any item that is used to unlock a mech part causes the game to pause for 2-3 seconds because just adding a mech blueprint to your crafting list causes the game to parse the entire mech parts system.

9. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I'm not entirely sure if that's the mech parts system's fault, or FU's fault :nurunaughty:

10. Daikon Ocelot

Why don't they give Starbound somekind of chacing featured? Like a temporary file for processing all of those game assets, like graphics, memories, and stuffs (I don't quite know what they are called). If you know a game called SPORE, there is somekind of chacing features there, a chacing system, a temporary file used to process stuffs, like graphics. SPORE also give an option to its player to manage how large is the chacing file. I guess that's why SPORE aren't so laggy, even though they have a really huge universe with a lot of assets (creatures, plants, buildings, vehicles, etc). So, why don't Starbound have something like this?

11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

It''s called caching, and that's not the issue nor the solution here.

12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

It's FU's fault for adding so many mech parts, but it's the game's fault for doing lots of what seems like unnecessary checking and work, a part of me feels that they could have coded that differently.

Does it really have to parse all of the mech parts just to add a blueprint to the player's knowledge or check if the player already knows it?

Now to be fair, there is a work-around that is in the works (moving all the unlocks to consumables that you can buy, or the research system that we are working on), but until then... the only way to get rid of the lag is to patch out the learn blueprints on pickup until you *want* to learn a mech part. Which is..clunky but at least it works.

Kawa likes this.
  13. Marcus101RR

Marcus101RR Void-Bound Voyager

This doesn't just apply to mech parts, it applies to Pixel Printer too if you use the admin cheat to have all scans. When opening that list, huge lag.

14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

The Mech Parts is different, because picking up ANY Material that has a learnBlueprintsOnPickup that includes any mech part will cause the lag, even if you already have one in your inventory!

With the PP, you're just opening a crafting machine that has hundreds, if not a thousand or more, items that it can craft, that's natural and unavoidable. I think they should have used the same system they used for the replicator with the PP, have little addons for each race, so you can split them up.

15. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Mm, it can not be very difficult to add submenus to the pixel printer, the idea is to hide all the objects from the list and show them in groups, then when you open a group, the game checks all the objects in that group.

The delay would be much less, because it is not the same to have to check 30 objects than 100 of a large list.

I do not know if I'm explaining myself well, my English is crap xD

16. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

As much as I love doing this Bounty hunter update on unstable...maybe we can make our crewmates do the same? Like send them to do some bounty hunting somewhere and we'll just wait for the results -> if they fail -> they get more experience in doing it making 'em better next time and if they win -> more exp and uhh rewards for us I guess?

Just an idea for crew members rather than them chilling in my ship all-day/night long...

17. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

The tabs that you see on the various crafting machines are only a sorting mechanism. You could put, say Object A in Tab 1 and Object B in Tab 2, but the game is still loading both Object A and Object B when you open the crafting UI.

Now, if you used a system like the Replicator, where you have the 3 different armor sets depending on which Replicator Addon you made, THEN what you're actually doing, is making 4 different Replicators -- the first one, and then the one+aegisalt, one+violium, and one+ferozium. We could do the same thing with the PP -- have one for "general" non-racial stuff and then one per each race, and THAT way, you'd be splitting several hundred recipes off the thing. Or you could instead, do it by categories, instead of the tabs, use addons instead that way you'd only load doors, or lights, or what-not and just swap out the addons as needed to cut down on the lag that happens when you open the interface.

Kawa likes this.
  18. Ickura

Ickura Big Damn Hero

I...did not know that, sheesh that is bad especially with FU installed.

19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Only for a crafting machine that has hundreds of items on it.

FU's armory, despite it having a couple hundred weapons and armor, does not cause the kind of lag the PP does with /admin, but then the PP has a thousand or more items I'm guessing.

20. djchrisblue

djchrisblue Phantasmal Quasar

Thanks, I love it! It's clearly still in beta and I'm looking forward to it getting a bit more solidified, but I do appreciate how it wraps a few existing in-game systems into something new. Hoping to see a bunch of new content and improvements :)

peace