1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Starbound - A Few Thoughts

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by FoxDE2, Jul 2, 2019.

1. FoxDE2

FoxDE2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

For as many ideas as I wanted them to add, when I saw the name of the final boss the Swansong, I realize this may be the last of the major patch updates we see from Starbound.

However, this doesn't mean that they can't fix mechanics we already have. I think they should continue to work on the game, even if the content we see isn't going to be as major as bounty hunting or space instances. Here are a few of my ideas:

Crewmembers: Make it so you can assign crewmembers to a room. It's VERY frustrating when every crewmember I have moves to the teleporter and lags very badly while saying random things. Whichever intention there was for this idea to work, it just didn't work. They don't really emote to each other, they keep following me around. I think if you could make each room of your ship assigned a different area, and made it so you could assign crewmembers to those rooms and they just kind of stay there, that would be a LOT more helpful.

Achievements: I don't know if there's an achievement for beating the Swansong, but I know there isn't one for collecting all of the fish. I'm using my mother's computer and as such, I don't have the windows version I used to and it reverted my save file. While I'm enjoying collecting things, it's sad to know I may never get back some of the things I've built. If there's a way to get it all back, I'm all ears -- but I don't think I will. So I'd like for there to be more achievements to make redoing everything more fun. Like an achievement for collecting all fossils, bugs, fish, figurines, and mob types.

Space instances: seem too hard. I'm using the lilotron body type for 4 of each energy and armor, and I keep getting clobbered by mobs. They tend to spawn too frequently now as opposed to before, and no matter how good your mech is, you can't take down a small army of meteor things with just one mech. If too many mobs spot you at the same time, it's either teleport or die at that time. I tend to try to lead them to the bottom or top of the screen and then teleport after my mech has blown up, and this seems to give me a clear road sometimes to get to the space instance/enemy ship, but in reality it shouldn't have to be that way. I'm right now using 100% high tech and experimental parts, and it's still very difficult.

Other than that, I'll update this post if any more ideas come to my head, but people can chip in their thoughts too if they want. I think if we're not going to get any more major content, we should at the very least get fixes to mechanics that already exist.

Thanks for listening!

2. Kordharin

Kordharin Big Damn Hero

Hey FoxDE2. I've been screwing around in the encounters as well. One of my most recent successes was in a Space Encounter of the Extreme difficulty. (Reactor Mech Body, Zed Mech Thrusters, Drill Mech Arm, Missile Rack Mech Arm, Basic Mech Legs)

Skirting around everything by staying to the extreme top or bottom helps greatly in avoiding most enemies. However, there are those that notice you, even if you don't think they should. When fighting Masteroids, the Drill Mech Arm helps some as a defense. I found that I can pop out of my mech, and use a couple Level 6 wands to do a decent load of damage before having to get into the Mech. Main weapon is usually something that shoots quickly (i.e. Gatling Gun, Tommy Gun, Dual Rifle).

And a note on the Achievements: No, there is not one for defeating the Swansong. I wish there was, though.