Dev Blog Starbound at EGX Rezzed

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Apr 20, 2018.

1. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

They do not bother to fix small bugs that the modders do if they fix, I doubt very much that they will start doing small updates.

The fate of Starbound we will know when the game comes out in XONE, there we will know if they will update something or not, I would not expect much xD

2. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

I think they prefer taking alot of bugs at once.
    But some bugs will slip through.

3. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

I hope they're not dead in the future. It is very sad to see an awesome game company like this falling apart. I already like their game and the game they publish so much.

4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Oh no, the company's doing fine (or at least I assume so), and they are developing at least a couple games and publishing others, it's just how many resources they are putting into THIS game that is the question on many peoples' minds.

5. Sentelin

Sentelin Subatomic Cosmonaut

For a company size of Chucklefish? They are probably putting as much resources as it's necessary to port game to XBOX one and that's been dragging on for months now. So eventually they will, other than that 0. They have shortage of software engineers, and they are stretched across two new projects. "Spellbound" which we know almost nothing about and Wargrove which seems to have progressed fairly. Starbound will get some love only after one of this games launches and that's maybe.

6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I suppose with the rabid Starbound fanbase whining about stuff feeling "tacked on", I can kinda-sorta understand why they'd put it on a back burner, because it seems like a large portion of the playerbase didn't really appreciate what they did with the Mech update. I certainly could understand if they stepped back and went "why are we even doing this anyways? They don't appreciate it"....

Now obviously I don't expect them to confirm or deny that's the case.... but that's just what I suspect happened.

7. Sentelin

Sentelin Subatomic Cosmonaut

@Xylia
    I have been on and off with Starbound almost since beginning and to tell you the truth, their own ambition has backfired in their face. Starbound have had some major overhauls overtime and in a direction fanbase, a fair portion of it, was angry about. Now, the Mechs isn't bad update by itself, however it's one of the aspects of the game, like every other update post 1.0, that you can ignore. Because it's "detached" from the core game itself, it's not tide in story progression in anyway, or there aren't any benefits, rewards to play with them. What happened is that new fanbase which accumulated post launch didn't like this "sandbox" approach, cause lets be honest Starbound without mods at it's current state, isn't so sandboxy and end game content is dull.

Which is why I was a bit taken a back when they gave excuse to why they stopped with bounty system, which would breath in much needed life to this game, With excuse "feel more like an add-on, than enchantment to the game", when everything they have added post launch is that, an add-on. Introducing mechanic after mechanic without really executing it properly - of course mods are there to jump in, but vanilla wise?

And it's more about the business decision, from their point of view Starbound is not making enough profit, and they need revenue to continue being operational, so they moved to other projects. I am not saying Starbound is abounded, but how long will take for it to receive another update, depends on how successful other two projects are.

ZubDubDubby, Ickura and Vrow like this.
  8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well, as talked about earlier in the thread, they released the Mechs, received huge heaping backlash and they took a step back and go "you know what? They're just gonna complain about this too because this will feel tacked on too" and they decided to scrap it.

I'm of a mind that this is largely BECAUSE of the all the negative feedback about mechs not being "good enough" or feeling "tacked on".

That's why they released Mechs and then went "We scrapped this because it felt too tacked-on" ...

9. FernBlaze

FernBlaze Subatomic Cosmonaut

Honestly (and ik i'm kind of late to this thread), I feel like the vanilla game is kind of.. boring.
    The bounty hunting system wouldn't feel like as much of an addon to me (at least), especially since it could breathe new life into the game that it seriously needs.
    Not only that, the novakids also need some love (I mean not much lore, or anything), so I feel like if they tied bounty hunting into that, it would feel more like a part of the game as well.
    Maybe have some of the rewards of bounty hunting be better weapons or armor, only able to be accessed through the board..

Honestly, since i've been waiting so long for an update, while I wouldn't mind getting the other features and stuff.. I was pretty hyped for bounty hunting, and disappointed that they decided to put it on hold. (I mean, they could have put new bosses into it, maybe have a fight with mechs, give those a purpose)

Though, like some people pointed out, there's a lot of other things that could also progress the game, but at this point, I feel like starbound isn't getting the love it deserves, the vanilla game is boring as heck (which is why I dropped out for a while until release), and the only thing keeping the base together is mods. (don't quote me on that though).

I don't know, these are just my opinions.

10. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

The mechs have a lot of logic in the game for me, it's a way to mine minerals in the asteroids, what was not logical was the thing before, that you went through space without gravity and you mined with the material manipulator.

Thanks to the update of the mechs, the space took on a meaning that I did not have before, now you have NPCs in the space that go in their own ships, there is gravity, so using a mech to move fluently is necessary, and also mines the asteroids with these mechs (in the earth we have machines that might look like a mech xD machines that mine under the ground, they have even arms).

As it could not be easy, they put enemies in the clear space, to make it more entertaining, because no.

Do the mechs feel "added"? because like any DLC of any game, it is just another content that offers other things to do, gold, silver and especially copper are essential minerals to build many things and that you hardly find on planets, only on asteroids. large quantities, if I need these minerals now, I need a mech, only that is already necessary, of course this is due to the change suffered by the space, but is done so on purpose, to give a practical use to the mech.

For me they do not feel added, I personally feel them as part of the game, because with the changes they made in that update so they made it seem, this is my opinion.

However, the Novakids, if I feel them as additions, go completely unnoticed, they do not even enter the base story of the game, they do not have any artifact to open the door to the Ruin, they are practically adorning it, at least the mechs have a sense, they have a practical use, the most comfortable way to mine asteroids is unquestionably with them, they could erase the Novakids and not notice the lack of them xD

11. FernBlaze

^ But that's why I think there should be more tied into the novakids, making them feel LESS like an added adornment, and more like a solid race that has real meaning to the game. And the mechs? I honestly like them, you just don't have much to do with them besides mine and possibly grind.
    I feel like the reaction against mechs was a bit overblown, I mean seriously, it's just an update, chill.

12. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Man, is to complain about the mechs how much more sense they are in the game than the Novakids themselves... they put the mechs like shit and the Novakids are nothing more than an ornament that moves and speaks in the game , nothing more, they have no sense of existence in the game, none, at least the mechs have utility, the Novakids they offer? a few texts related to the Hylotl and little else, that should have put the texts by penalty xD

Starbound needs to be updated in many ways, and the first thing they have to do is put that reward system they had been talking about for so long, then they should give importance to the Novakids, put an artifact on the door to the Ruin, a dungeon and the corresponding boss to get that artifact.

And among those updates, fix several bugs that the game has, which luckily can be solved with mods, but it's something that the vanilla game should have fixed, it's very comfortable to let the modders do their work... and while So, while the modders do their work, they can dedicate themselves to other games, well done CF, so that they pay and dedicate time to your game when others can do it, certainly they are not stupid. xD

13. FernBlaze

Yeah.. Honestly, I feel the biggest problem is that they need more developers for this game.. It's going so slow, there's so many bugs and problems, but that's because they need more people..

14. Daikon Ocelot

I guess that will add another problem, and that is funds. More people means more funds are needed to pay them. Or... maybe... it will not be a problem if they agree to work for free or with a cheap payment.

15. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

I agree. Without mods, the mechs just look like big robot kirbies, and the avali have more in depth lore than most of the base game races, and you can't even skip cinematics.

Lintton likes this.
  16. FernBlaze

There are so many modders in our community that would be more than willing to work for free. And even then, for money? Instead of putting more money into new, honestly lackluster games, chucklefish needs to put funds into the games they already have, even if that means slower game output.

.. Big robot kirbies..
    Thats..
    That actually pretty much sums them up oh my god
    I cant-
    WOW-
    Also, avali and the elithian races do have better stories, but not only that, they also have different shapes and sizes. I mean, that's a lot of work..

Ickura likes this.
  17. Daikon Ocelot

I don't mean to disrespect the modder, but I just wish all of those mods were in the vanilla version, the Starbound itself, and not mod.

Ickura likes this.
  18. Lintton

Lintton Guest

You'd think they would do something about an update on steam at least, especially considering the most recent update to the game on steam(the article it takes you to when viewing updates on steam is a modding related article that your really wouldn't want as the game's first impression.)

19. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

Just to add, the mechs are technically big robotic penguins, since they were created by a penguin scientist. (Just like how humans tend to make robots and mechs humanoid, it only makes sense that a penguin would naturally make theirs penguinoid.)

If you're talking about the steam thread I think you're referring to, I remember them looking into it, and being unable to do anything about it. It's apparently a Steam thing. :/

20. SpiderOwl

SpiderOwl Void-Bound Voyager

Who cares if it feels tacked on? It's an update, it's supposed to, and one of your biggest and best looking updates in forever, i was SO excited for this, and now its on hold, near what seemed to be completion, this is my favourite game ever with almost 1100 hrs, i need this update

Waffle-Chan, Scival and Jeffreyg228 like this.