Dev Blog Starbound Explorer's Guide

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jun 27, 2017.

1. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

The wording COULD be... better, yes. Since Floran DO sometimes use he/she pronouns and identities and the whole "sex =/= gender" thing. And given how this game is REALLY GOOD at being inclusive, I'd like to think that detail could be hammered out to not be awkward.

Perhaps instead of "no gender", have "(Floran are a single-sex race but can present as "male" or "female")".

STCW262 likes this.
  2. IxFa

IxFa Pangalactic Porcupine

I just found it a bit silly because it says "NO GENDER" right above a picture of a male and a female.
    Starbound_79246_INS.png
    Of course, genderless, ignore the two consistent physical differences which also happen to match ideas of male and female.

Silliness

Cally94, General Nuclear and propyl-k like this.
  3. Stormalisk

Stormalisk Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Perhaps the shtick here is silliness?

I always saw them having both when young, but one would dominate or make useless of the other as they grew older. Almost like how some plants do, or how parrot/clown fish do due to environments/situations/hormonal changes.

I get the whole unisex society, as which part you wish to partake in reproduction matters not to how good of a hunter you are. But, as sipher said, awkward would be the best way to put it the way it is worded.

4. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

wait, wasn't at one point Nuru was referred as Princess Nuru? back in 2015 i think

5. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

If she was, it wasn't in the game proper or my diffs would contain some sort of reference. But all I see, in 2015 or otherwise, is the Decoy Princess and one of the female Glitch name parts now removed.

6. Solar Ace

Solar Ace Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Will this be hardcover?

7. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

I'm not a fan of buying anything I can't carry with myself with 2 bags and a backpack, so I pack light and avoid buying physical stuff.

Is there any chance there will be a digital edition?

Cally94, Ralek and DraikNova like this.
  8. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Are you coming out as a Nudist?

9. Ralek

Ralek Title Not Found

Maybe he has a lack of clothes, but I think he means he is a minimalist and chooses to live a life focused on experiences rather than material things.

maestro kitty likes this.
  10. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

Walking in on to a nudist beach in starbound.......

I don't think it was in game, must of have been in concept long ago, there was sprite work and a concept drawing, i don't even think there was a Floran mission at the time.

11. Driko

Driko Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Will it tell the reader to avoid the buggy random generated quests given by npcs in planets to prevent frustration?

12. lostdon

lostdon Void-Bound Voyager

I definitely see myself buying this.

13. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

The floran could be less "complete" plants and more plant byproducts. I'm thinking of the Sylvari in Guildwars 2, where they grow from a mother plant (like worker ants from a queen). But I've really fallen off the lore wagon in starbound and have no idea what the creators have in mind for them any more xD

It doesn't really bother me either way, floran are super cute and even if they don't have primary sexual features, the secondary features are good enough to go by.

14. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

Sigh......sometimes i kind of miss the old lore with story bring laid out in the background the more you explored

The human was the survivor of the ruin (always felt like fry from Futurama, dunno why)
    The apex was a rebel
    The avian was an atheist
    The floran wanted to better themselves
    The glitch took the red pill
    The hylotl wanted to make the world a better place
    The Novakid lost their previous save

And that there could be short quests and stories pertaining to each race and their relationship with the others

I vaguely remember these things from recounting starbounds early days of world building

15. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I don't see how the current story contradicts any of those vague backstories.

A Human player will become a survivor of the Ruin.
    Any Apex joining the Protectorate would be considered a rebel by the Miniknog since they're not 100% loyal to Big Ape.
    An Avian joining the Protectorate can easily be an atheist. I'd say it's extremely likely they would be.
    A Floran joining the Protectorate shows a drive to better themselves and do more than just hunt/stab.
    A Glitch disconnected from the hivemind/freed from the "medieval living" program would likely want to find a purpose, and the Protectorate can provide.
    A Hylotl could easily see the Protectorate as a good organization to join in order to make the cosmos a better place for everyone.
    A Novakid could have just wandered into the recruiting center one day and found themselves in the Protectorate and went with it because why not?

I don't think we really need a wad of text explicitly spelling out "YOU ARE DOING X BECAUSE REASON Y". Inference is a thing.

16. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

naaaah the starting quest text wasn't important, just the idea of there being unique racial lore quest attached to each race you played seemed interesting. I was just making reference from those old background stories, gave the character i played some depth, but at the same time i realized that people enjoy making their own back stories to their characters, so i can see why it was removed and not mentioned again.

but the consensus has spoken..... ixnay on the background stories x_x;

17. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Oh hey. Will this book have artwork for the NPC races? I'm curious to see how the Fenerox and Alpaca and etc are rendered.

(I mean I'm probably still gonna prefer my take in all honesty but definitely keen to see how y'all interpret the sprites.)

18. voiditect

voiditect Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm going to buy this probably

maestro kitty likes this.
  19. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Can't wait for this. Still hoping for more info on Avians and Glitch.

Cally94 likes this.
  20. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

so in other words
    everything that guide.png
    by the way i can clearly remember that other npcs have been referring to nuru as she and her.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017