Starbound Image Analysis

Discussion in 'Videos' started by ockpii, Feb 24, 2012.

1. ockpii

ockpii The Reel McCoy

Hello, everyone!
    I've recently started a gaming channel on YouTube. At the moment I'm focusing on Terraria and will be jumping around between some other games.
    I'll also be ready to jump on the Starbound video-making bandwagon and, as such, here's the first one, in which I analyze every image of the game that I could get my hands on!

Here it is!

Enjoy!

iLeevi, Defenseless, ALEXz407 and 8 others like this.
  2. EGadd

EGadd Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This'll be a good video for new members who are too lazy to do their research lol Nice work :D

3. ockpii

ockpii The Reel McCoy

Heh, yeah, I intended to make it accessible by anyone who stumbled across it, hence the 3 minute-long intro ;)

Bishbashbosh, Jermex and EGadd like this.
  4. EGadd

EGadd Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Haha, good job :3

5. Offline

Offline Astral Cartographer

I liked it. Nice.

6. Hydrae

Hydrae Cosmic Narwhal

Great video, lots of info. Thanks for sharing.

7. Jermex

Jermex The Stampede Forum Moderator

Loved it!
    Keep it up pal!

8. AtoMcroms

AtoMcroms Void-Bound Voyager

Good video.

9. tastycrumpet

tastycrumpet Former Staff

I was waiting for a tweet for this! Awesome video!

FilipeJMonteiro likes this.
  10. Bishbashbosh

Bishbashbosh Void-Bound Voyager

Great Video, there where a couple of things i missed, thanks for bringing them to my attention :p Cannot wait for this!

11. InvisibleClarity

InvisibleClarity Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That was excellent, good to see the community analyzing the shit out of things. I wouldn't have it any other way.

12. Ragen

Ragen Big Damn Hero

I also posted it in the FAQ section, and I'm going to link it in IRC whenever people need to ask some serious questions about it.

13. Matsu

Matsu Subatomic Cosmonaut

Very well done. A lot of the things you analyzed I never even noticed.

14. Malzakor

Malzakor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nice job

15. Przemek32767

Przemek32767 Phantasmal Quasar

My only complaint is that the video is a little too quiet, but other than that, I really like your analysis. It's very interesting to watch.

16. CoolYoshifan

CoolYoshifan Aquatic Astronaut

I might record starbound with a friend if it has multiplayer feature.

17. gejiryu

gejiryu Big Damn Hero

Nice video, good job.

18. ockpii

ockpii The Reel McCoy

Thank you all! I wasn't expecting that many people to like it, so cheers!
    I'll make sure to work on my audio levels on my next video, because some people have mentioned it already ;)

gejiryu and Ragen like this.
  19. Ragen

Ragen Big Damn Hero

Yes please!

I'm also going to be throwing your video around in IRC whenever someone needs to really know about that game =P

20. tyrannosaurusAdjudicator

tyrannosaurusAdjudicator Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wow, well done analysis! The lighting engine looks impressive. Around 5:40 with the chest being guarded(?) the ice around the torches is lit up as well. I'm not sure how the lighting is being done, but it would appear to be far more sophisticated than Terraria, and the shadow-effects on the borders of blocks around 8 minutes into the video reminds me of simple Ambient Occlusion (though it's a totally different thing).

The different HUDs, like somebody commented on the video itself, are probably attributed to different versions of the game. Around 9:16 when you zoom in on the health bar, it would actually appear to be in-between ticks. In some of the later images, the health bar's been replaced with hearts. I think this means that the player will have a large amount of hit points, like in Terraria (100+) as opposed to the number of ticks/hearts on the HUD.

Lastly, one thing that I am eager to see is how the sun(s) on each planet works with the background for day/night cycles. In some of them, the sun is slightly occluded by a mountain or cloud. I think it would be pretty sweet if the player's screen was slightly darkened a bit every time it went behind an obstacle like that.

FilipeJMonteiro likes this.