1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Resolved Starbound Launches With No Sound

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Draconic_Cat, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Draconic_Cat

Draconic_Cat Phantasmal Quasar

Hi there!

I've had this issue a few times: I'll launch starbound, it boots up just fine, but completely silent. It isn't muted in my sound settings, it isn't an error with steam or with my headphones or with my computer, and the only fix I have gotten to work is deleting a folder I found in my files labeled "vcredist" that was completely empty- an idea I got from this thread for a completely different game.

I have also tried reinstalling the game, restarting my computer, restarting steam etc. no fix.

I am on Mac and no solution I have seen anywhere comes close to resolving my issue, I'm at my wit's end and just want to play one of my favorite games :( any help is greatly appreciated.

Log's attached.

...Update, I relaunched the game to see if I had issues similar to others I saw mentioned based on this error in my logs: [Error] Application: Could not open audio device, no sound available!

And it just... Spontaneously worked. So... Fixed, I guess???

Okay did a bit more testing, only posting for posterity, I guess. I had iTunes playing while launching on the attempt that worked- paused it, relaunched, no sound. So... Apparently that's... A fix?? I have no idea how that works or why, but it sure did. So if anyone else has this issue, there's an idea.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2020