1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

WIP Starbound Mod Manager 1.2.1

Discussion in 'Other' started by 5paceManSpiff, Dec 8, 2013.

1. 5paceManSpiff

5paceManSpiff Poptop Tamer

Note: Check out the github link for current and planned features as well as a basic tutorial
    Version: 1.2.1

Hello, I'm 5paceManSpiff and I'd like to help create an open source mod manager that allows for easy, conflict free installation. Right now the project is very early in development, though over the coming weeks I should be able to churn out something nice, hopefully with the help of others. Feel free to PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Design constraints

The project must be...
    • GPL V2 licensed (free and open source)
    • cross platform (Windows, Max OSX, and Linux)
    • independent of external libraries
    • light enough to not pose constraints on users or developers

Link to source : http://github.com/5paceManSpiff/starbound-mod-manager

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. silom

silom Space Spelunker

There is one build in or am I wrong?

3. 5paceManSpiff

Nope. Right now modding consists of replacing and/or adding files, which can potentially corrupt portions of the game if you add two mods with conflicting data. This would detect conflicts, as well as provide a standard to make mod distribution easier.

4. demiant

demiant Astral Cartographer

Oh maaan, youre writing it in python! And how do you want to distribute your mod manager? Okay, without GUI it would be not so hard with py2exe, but who will use it without GUI? Only mod developers, who know how to use command-line interface.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  5. G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R Cosmic Narwhal

It will be nice if something like this will sort out conflicts with the player.config. Example: adding a mod that adds an item to the player.config, then later add another mod that only adds new species to the player.config. replacing the file and losing the item from the first mod.

6. silom

silom Space Spelunker

@5paceManSpiff You can add a custom directory to your starbound root with mods in. After this you just have to write the mod-path to your bootstrap file. That works just fine.

7. 5paceManSpiff

Ooh, this simplifies things immensely, thanks.

8. 5paceManSpiff

Due to the nature of json, this shouldn't be too hard to implement.

9. Iceclaw

Iceclaw Space Spelunker

I wrote modloaders when it wasn't mainstream.
    #NotAHipster. :)

5paceManSpiff and silom like this.
  10. 5paceManSpiff

Oops, your thread must have slipped by me. I've browsed through your script and I think I might have a slightly easier (code wise) solution to changing the bootstrap file. Rather than writing directly to the file, you could process it as a dictionary, amend to the dictionary, and then spit it back out as plain text.

On another note, I'd be happy to lend a hand and/or cancel this project in favor of yours if you would agree to license it under GPL V2.

Vaalis likes this.
  11. Iceclaw

Iceclaw Space Spelunker

That's a good idea. Also, by the way, I'm going to rewrite the code, it is too big. The idea is written down.

GPL V2... I'm not against it. But I hope that I understood it completely.
    On the matter of help - I don't need it right now, but I'll think about it. About the project - it's your choice. My goal - is to create a comfortable for both players and developers, and standartized modloader.

12. 5paceManSpiff

I just added a GUI. I'm going to binaries derived from the python script using PyInstaller. No external dependencies will be needed for it to run.

demiant likes this.